Author Topic: What Are You Reading??  (Read 13898 times)

Offline Ruff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Born 100 Years Too Late
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What Are You Reading??
« on: March 09, 2014, 12:34:16 AM »
Howdy all,

So I am spending another sleepless night on the computer and I was wondering what everyone is reading. Always looking for suggestions on new stuff.

I haven't found a lot of new westerns to read. Used to really like William W. Johnstone's stuff, can't seem to get into the new stuff with JA Johnstone just seems off somehow. I have been reading a lot of Urban Fantasy and mysteries. Just finished all of James Patterson's Woman's Murder Club and am rereading the Alex Cross books.

So what authors should I check out? Or maybe a historical book? Bio?
Ruff
SASS #16965, WASA #155, NCOWS #3636, GAF #304
GHSS CP-088, Oregon Trail Regulators (Nebraska) #7, Cracker Cow Cavalry
RO I & II
Double Barrel C's Land and Cattle Co.
Soon to be Abilene, TX

Offline Ruff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: What Are You Reading??
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 05:06:18 AM »
Found the Movies and Books section after posting this. So any idea how to move it?
Ruff
RO I & II
Soon to be Abilene, TX

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4667
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 05:12:02 PM »
Tom Clancy fan here, try his book "Without Remorse" it is a fantastic read. Clive Cussler's new series featuring Isaac Bell is set at the turn of the last century and I really enjoyed them. If you like sci-fi, Sandy Mitchell's Commissar Cain series are a fun read.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:59:39 AM »

Offline Ruff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 05:16:38 PM »
Howdy Deacon,

I have read Tom Clancy before and like his stuff. The books are way better than any of the movies have been. I may just have to reread all of his stuff again. Last one of his I read it was after the war with Japan and he was the President and there was some kind of biological attack from Iran I think.

I will check out the other authors/series you suggested. I am always on the hunt for new stuff.

I am lucky here in Orlando FL, the library is online and you can order books and they will deliver them to you. You have to take them back but that is fair,
Ruff
RO I & II
Soon to be Abilene, TX

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 11:47:50 PM »
Owen Wister,the original VIRGINIAN,it's a hoot!
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 01:48:32 AM »
I have been working my way thru the old Spenser stories by Robert B Parker (remember the old Spenser for Hire)

but, while I was at the book store (Barnes and Noble I found Doc by Mary Doria Russell on the sell out table think I paid $6 for it. It is of course about Doc Holliday. It is a pretty good read, with the accents in the speech and all. It is a "historical novel" and I am kind of liking it. I then found a recommended read for it in one of the cowboy mags. (maybe True West.)

anyways there it is. I am wait for the new Longmeyer book to get out...

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline Ruff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 05:27:31 AM »
Howdy Rick,

That is a good thought, U have never read the Virginian. A couple of others that I have not read are True Grit and I have seen reference to the books that were the basis of The Outlaw Josey Wells.

Howdy Curley Cole,

Love Robert B. Parker and have read all his Spenser books, also his Jesse Stone and Sunny Randell books. I have also read his Appaloosa series and like them, when Mr. Parker was writing them. Not so much the guy that took over after he died. Seems to have changed the pacing.

Doc sounds like a good read. I will have to see if I can find it for my Nook. Love Barnes and Noble. Actually love all bookstores and libraries.

Both Barnes and Noble and Amazon make suggestions of different authors based on your purchases. Amazon has pages on its website that are author profiles and they list other author that you might like based on liking a certain aurthor.
Ruff
RO I & II
Soon to be Abilene, TX

Offline Shawnee McGrutt

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 07:03:55 AM »
Ruff,
I liked the writing style of Robert B. Parker as well, (to bad he didn't get to write more), I believe that the fellow who is writing the Cole and Hitch series now did the screen play for Appaloosa.  His style is different , but I still like the series.
Just finished a biography on Red Cloud, "The Heart of Everything That Is",  was a good read.
For work I am reading up on Japanese Gardens, as I have to fix one that another "landscaper", thought they could do.  Would rather try to reread "Blood Meridian" by McCarthy.
Keep your powder dry
Shawnee
National Congress of Old West Shootists 3633
Single Action Shooting Society 88462
Society of Remington Revolver Shooters
The Sublyme and Holy Order of the Soot
"I wish I had an answer to that because I'm tired of answering that question." - Yogi Berra

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 11:43:34 AM »
I find alot of references to The Virginian in other western style movies,like in Lonesome Dove where they hang thier friend Jake,it takes me a LONG TIME to read a book ADD thing i guess.
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Ruff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 05:02:15 PM »
Howdy Shawnee,

Don Knotts is the gentleman if I remember correctly. Not saying he is a bad writer, I like his stuff. It is the pacing style that I don't like. Also in Ironhorse he took Hitch's 8 guage away for almost the entire book, It was like taking the guys pants it just felt wrong. That shotgun is as much a character  Also what happened to Allie, 2 books and nothing. I may not of liked her as a person but she was as much as part of it as Virgil and Hitch.

I too wish Robert Parker could of written more he had a style that was good and a strong moral compass in his characters. He will be missed.

Hey Rick,

Something that has stuck with me since freshman English in HS. Is that I was told that there are only 13 stories, the Bible. Shakesphere, or the latest Hollywood block buster all work off of a variation of one of those 13. Might be why we see so much of the Virginian in so many other movies.

As to ADD I had it as a kid and to some extent probably still do. But for some reason every since I was 10-11 I find something calming about reading. I can and have done it for hours
Ruff
RO I & II
Soon to be Abilene, TX

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 05:32:22 PM »
I've only nread 4 books from end to end in my life,i like music and always wondered what big talent did like Frank Sinatra,read his bio,Mario Lanza bio,Goerge Jones bio,and the book the Virginian,i have a nice small library on western history and native history,it weird i can sit and read things here but cant sit still long enough to enjoy a good book,my dad did it all the time,he was a big Sherlock Holmes fan.
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Ruff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 05:37:20 PM »
Rick,

But do you sit here and read or do you read on post in the Longbranch, then a post BROW and finally one in SCORES? I find that on the computer that I tend to read or do alot. But that it is in short bursts, a bit here a bit there.
Ruff
RO I & II
Soon to be Abilene, TX

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 09:18:38 PM »
Rick

Try listening to books on tape, my wife didn't read hardly at all because due to a midline thing she was a very slow reader (she dook a speed reading class and ended up reading slwoer). she now is reading all the time, sometimes with a good book she would be sitting in the driveway finishing a chapter.

and you can get lots of books from the library for free. Give it a try out...

curley

ps: sometime ifn ye are lookin for a good read, read the original True Grit...I did that a couple of years back.
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline Octagonal Barrel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 09:49:01 PM »
+1 to The Virginian and to Appaloosa and other Parker books.

+1 does not begin to cover True Grit.  It's is an American literary classic.  The plot is very good, the characterizations are excellent (the Cohen Brothers movie gives you a taste).  The history, language use, and culture are said to be dead on.  Calling Portis' writing style extraordinary wouldn't be at all off the mark.  If you're a reader and haven't read it, you're missing something.

The only thing the book leaves me wondering is, did Cogburn carry '51 navies or '61 navies in those saddlebag holsters?  Guess it would take a cap-and-ball gunslinger to even ponder it.  (Not that you'd ever run across that sort in this forum...)
Drew Early, SASS #98534

Offline Grenadier

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 08:29:51 AM »
Virtually anything by Robert E. Howard, but his western stories are more in line with the theme of this forum.

By far my favorite writer of fiction of any genre...a native Texan to boot!

http://www.amazon.com/Collected-Western-Stories-Unexpurgated-Classics-ebook/dp/B00466HYH6

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27622.The_End_of_the_Trail

Offline Ruff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 01:24:33 PM »
Octagonal Barrel,

Your comment on Cugburn's Navies would probably make a very interesting thread of its own. I have a couple of cap and balls, but have never fired either. Actually the only BP gun I have ever fired was a flintlock rifle during one stage of a 4th of July shoot. It was fun.

Anyway if a fact I remember reading once is correct and I am remembering it right. 1851 Navy were made longer, were more popular and even made after 1873 for several years. Also while the 1861 was an improvement it was not made in the numbers as the 1851. Again that is if the info I remember is correct and I am quoting it correctly. Need to go back to old issues of several magazines and check my info.

Grenadier,

I have read some of the Conan books when I was younger, 25 or more years ago. Never know that he did westerns. But found them for my Nook at Barnes and Noble. Will get it downloaded as soon as my Nook is charged.

You know one book that I am going to have to look for again. The Shootist, a really good book that I last read in the mid 80's. Very different than the book in many ways. Anyone know how to suggest a remake to Hollywood sort of like they did to True Grit?
Ruff
RO I & II
Soon to be Abilene, TX

Offline Darto

• Top Active Citizen
  • Step right up the wooden board on the wall !
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2014, 01:29:44 AM »
Larks Rise.

What the English were doing in the 1880's , out in the sticks. When they go old they went to the 'workhouse' as there was no retirement schemes in place as of yet  :-[

It's also a TV series on the BBC

Offline Ruff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 10:03:48 AM »
Howdy Darto,

I will check it out. Found the series on Amazon. Have you seen any episodes? Is it worth watching?
Ruff
RO I & II
Soon to be Abilene, TX

Offline Shawnee McGrutt

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 10:32:52 AM »
Ruff, if Darto is talking about "Larks Rise in Candlefords" ( I think I have the title right) it is on INSP Sunday afternoon. I never seen it , I watch baseball or football. 
Keep your powder dry
Shawnee
National Congress of Old West Shootists 3633
Single Action Shooting Society 88462
Society of Remington Revolver Shooters
The Sublyme and Holy Order of the Soot
"I wish I had an answer to that because I'm tired of answering that question." - Yogi Berra

Offline Ruff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 10:35:42 AM »
Howdy Shawnee,

That is the series that came up when I Googled the book that Darto recommended. Before I buy it I want an opinion. What is INSP?
Ruff
RO I & II
Soon to be Abilene, TX

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com