Author Topic: To polish or leave to patina on brass framed guns?  (Read 22089 times)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: To polish or leave to patina on brass framed guns?
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2015, 05:27:28 PM »
Interesting to revisit this thread after a year or more.  I use to keep after the "Shine" on my Brass Rifles.  I've got 6 or seven total.  Wait,
no, 6.  I sold one.  then I began to like the "cared for" but "well Used" look.  So, now I just let em tarnish.  Finger prints, border stains,
all of that will, in time, blend together.

A question was asked, if the Uberti brass rifles had some form of "coating" on them to protect the shine.  The answer is "Yes" with a caveat.  The coating is simply the Oil coating Uberti sprays on em for shipment.  About 10 seconds after you get them outta da bag and
wipe em down, the oxidation process starts.  I always had to shine em up before I returned them to my customers after the action work was completed.  Twaz somewhat of a nuisance.

The Honda Motor Co use to ship their Motorcycles with a clear coat to preserve the shine of the exposed engine cases.  When it started to oxidize and peal and discolor, it looked(s) awful.  I doubt there is coating we can apply to the brass rifles that wouldn't quickly look awful.
Besides, for the most part, the Ladies of our game, like shiny jewelry.  For the ladies in our game, polish em up (Flitz) and those more
fastidious Gentalmen, they can polish em up too.  I'm gonna continue to let mine get ........ nicely ugly ;)

Coffinmaker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com