Author Topic: First cartridge six shooter.  (Read 5102 times)

Offline AGreenSmudge

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
First cartridge six shooter.
« on: March 04, 2014, 08:27:18 PM »
Howdy.

I started getting into historical revolvers about a year ago. I ended up diving in and getting a Pietta at 1860 and then a Uberti Walker right before christmas. I love them both, but I want something that is a little less of a maintenance queen, more reliable and will stand up to some good use,but it needs to look good too.

My inital go to is a Cimarron 5.5" 1860 converson (the one with the original BP style barrel minus the loading lever) because I think the 1860 is gorgeous. However, I expect this to be a gun I practice with and shoot a lot, maybe even carry and time/money permitting lookinto some basic CAS with. I have no problem changing parts as they wear out etc. One of my questions about it is are the internal action parts the same between the early C&B colts and the later SAA style? As in will it withstand repeated long term use and rapid firing like how the CAS guns are commonly used?

Any other drawbacks I may be unaware of?

Any sub $600 SAA types that you'd reccomend OVER the 1860?
Howdy

Offline Sgt. John McAfferty

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: First cartridge six shooter.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 12:38:11 PM »
I own and regularly shoot 2 1872 open tops which are based on the 1860 frame.  I believe Taylor's Firearms, Cimarron Firearms and Stoeger sell these.  I shoot CAS a couple times a month and have never had a problem with either.  One is a Taylors gun and the other is a Stoeger gun, both made by Uberti.
I have a friend who also had a pair, one from Cimarron and 1 from Taylors and he had nothing but problems with them.  I believe both companies replaced the ones he bought.  The customer service at both companies are excellent in my book.
I will say that if I was someone who shot CAS every weekend - say 4 or 5 matches per month - they might develop problems, but I truly feel if you keep them clean and check the internals regularly, you won't have many problems.

Just my opinion.

Sgt. John McAfferty

Offline Ford D. River

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 05:22:24 PM »
The 71-72 Open Top is the closest thing to an 1860 Army.  Same grip frame.  Had two of them, 38 Special and 44 Special.  Lots of fun.  The conversions are nice but the 71-72 is the nicest looking sixgun, maybe of all time.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:38:05 PM »

Offline Badlands Beady

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 02:27:15 PM »
The 71-72 Open Top is the closest thing to an 1860 Army.  Same grip frame.  Had two of them, 38 Special and 44 Special.  Lots of fun.  The conversions are nice but the 71-72 is the nicest looking sixgun, maybe of all time.
[/quote

I own and shoot both the 1860 conversion and the'72 OT, as well as two '73s.  The 1860 has the largest grip farm; not by much, but it is larger.  The two OTs aren't my most expensive handguns, pro even the "best," but they're my favorite.

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 08:01:15 PM »
 "River " is 100% ,,,in ,,our ,,,opinion,,.

Hootnix.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 04:49:43 AM »
I'm getting in on this  :) I moderate over on the OT BB and have passion for the Richards & 72's

My main match is a Type II , has been several years ( I shoot NCOWS so one pistol is all that is needed ) But I also have a Kenny Howell Type I & a Richards & Mason all see service. Several Colt 2nd Gen. one with Howells converter & and another with a Kirst.
I just bought a US Finished forged frame 72 Open Top , I'll report back with its review, when it arrives.

1. Type II
2. the NIB 72 OT

when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com