Author Topic: Robert Duvall's acting skill  (Read 15870 times)

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Robert Duvall's acting skill
« on: February 27, 2014, 01:46:21 PM »
My earliest memory of Robert Duvall is in the film, "To kill a Mocking bird".
I have always been very impressed with his performances, especially with his Western portrayals. "True Grit" and "Lonesome Dove", etc, (just to name a very few).

I just finished watching "Stalin" staring Robert Duvall.
As is typical to his acting skills... it was excellent! Much to my surprise!
I had avoided this film for years, only because I thought the casting was So off for the main caricature. I was very wrong!!!!
True, it is not related to a cowboy flick, but, it does address his acting skills
My best,
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Shawnee McGrutt

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Re: Robert Duvall's acting skill
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 02:47:12 PM »
"Open Range", is my favorite Robert Duvall movie.  But I must admit , I have been impressed by his acting ability.  An other movie he was in that I liked was, "Secondhand Lions" .  I don't think the critics thought to much of it.  Duvall and Michael Caine, I thought gave good performances.    To be honest, Blair, I forgot that Duvall,was in "To Kill a Mocking Bird".
National Congress of Old West Shootists 3633
Single Action Shooting Society 88462
Society of Remington Revolver Shooters
The Sublyme and Holy Order of the Soot
"I wish I had an answer to that because I'm tired of answering that question." - Yogi Berra

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 02:48:46 PM »
He's a stud aint he?
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:40:14 PM »

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 03:16:32 PM »
Shawnee

"To kill a Mocking bird" is pretty early for him in a big film production to my memory of him.
This guy is a man of all seasons, in my opinion.
"Secondhand Lions", I love!
But, I have a hard time watching. It just seems too close to home for some reason. And I don't know why? Perhaps, too close to my family in that part of the world. Perhaps, too real?
My best,
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline The Elderly Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 06:52:03 PM »
Duvall is one of those rare actors who is always good, even when he's in a bad movie. Sean Connery, Gene Hackman and Michael Caine are other examples of this type. I remember seeing Duvall in "Mockingbird" but it was a very small role (Boo Radley) and he didn't speak a single word, he was cast because he could convey so much with facial expression and gesture. The first time he made an impression on me was as the cabbie in "Bullitt." It's too bad that he couldn't play Robert E. Lee in "Gettysburg" because of scheduling issues, though Martin Sheen did a creditable job. He finally got the chance in "Gods and Generals," but it just wasn't as good a movie and was focused on Jackson. He's a national treasure.

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 06:06:40 PM »
Good actor.  The first time I saw him was in The Great Santini.

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 09:21:21 PM »
Agree he is a national treasure. After Open Range,  I vowed to watch as many Duvall films as I could. Next one I saw was Assasination Tango.
Big mistake!

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 09:32:50 PM »
Duvall is one of those rare actors who is always good, even when he's in a bad movie. Sean Connery, Gene Hackman and Michael Caine are other examples of this type. I remember seeing Duvall in "Mockingbird" but it was a very small role (Boo Radley) and he didn't speak a single word, he was cast because he could convey so much with facial expression and gesture. The first time he made an impression on me was as the cabbie in "Bullitt." It's too bad that he couldn't play Robert E. Lee in "Gettysburg" because of scheduling issues, though Martin Sheen did a creditable job. He finally got the chance in "Gods and Generals," but it just wasn't as good a movie and was focused on Jackson. He's a national treasure.

Well, at least we agree on Duvall.   ::)
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 04:17:24 AM »
I work a few days 2nd unit on Lions... though did not meet Duvall, he was not on location.
We filmed the "flash back" on the  beach (Gulf of Mexico)  with Arabian horses , where his younger persona meets the girl.

I did however, meet him briefly on G&G... though I was pretty much  ahead of the Film unit ,  dressing sets.
But I ran into him , on location in Winchester ( when he was in the Union Col. uniform being offered US Command ) again at the Marye's Heights battle location.
Pretty much all business on location, he's well into character and has an assistant to ward off, chit chat  etc.
But very warm, when he is "OFF" 
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Thomas (Tom) Horn aka James Hicks

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS#86684 Wartrace Regulators
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 10:10:59 PM »
Agree with all comments on Robt Duvall.  His first movie roll was as stated to Kill a Mocking Bird. There are just too many to list, he is a top notch actor... the three western's that I really think is his best performance is Lonesome Dove (TV Mini - Series), Open Range and Broken Trail (TV Mini - Series)... Great actor.
"If I killed that kid, it was the best shot I ever made, and the dirtiest trick I ever did."

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99098
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 12:14:22 AM »
Al Sieber in Geronimo.

Silent Joe

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 11:58:11 AM »
The first time I saw Robert Duvall was in the movie Geronimo as Al Sieber. Later I've brought Open Range; Broken Trail and Lonesome Dove. He and Clint Eastwood are my favorite Western actors. The first western movie I've seen was High Noon with Gary Cooper, Crace Kelly, Lloyd Bridges etc. in 1958. Here started my interest for westerns.

Offline Bruce W Sims

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 10:11:09 AM »
I think the first time I really thought about Duvall as an actor was in "Tender Mercies" he played a down-and-out
C&W singer and reportedly did all his own singing. What caught me---then as now--- is that every time I see him in a roll
 he seems to be just the right guy for the part. Its like all of these sides of him are naturally occuring. He may have
had one or two dogs on his record but I can't think of what they would have been.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Best Wishes,

Bruce

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 01:54:32 PM »
I think the first time I really thought about Duvall as an actor was in "Tender Mercies" he played a down-and-out
C&W singer and reportedly did all his own singing. What caught me---then as now--- is that every time I see him in a roll
 he seems to be just the right guy for the part. Its like all of these sides of him are naturally occuring. He may have
had one or two dogs on his record but I can't think of what they would have been.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

A terrific little gem of a film.
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Scattered Thumbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2016, 06:31:50 PM »
So, no one remembers him in "The Godfather"? That's odd.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2016, 11:06:06 PM »
Not if you've never seen The Godfather.  I never have, see no reason to any time in the future.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Scattered Thumbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2016, 02:54:26 AM »
Not if you've never seen The Godfather.  I never have, see no reason to any time in the future.

Well, that's a valid reason.  ;D

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 12:12:40 AM »
Lonesome Dove
Open Range
Broken Trail
Geronimo
Second Hand Lions (not strictly a Western, but he does play Texan in Texas and a hero)
Joe Kidd (he plays a bad guy)
True Grit (also a bad guy)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 05:35:27 AM »
"... I love the smell of napalm in the morning.  "

"Apocalypse Now"
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2017, 09:59:59 AM »
A lesser-known Robert Duval western is "Lawman" (1971).  Duval plays a supporting role (Burt Lancaster and Robert Ryan star), but he has some significant screen time.  The overall movie is pretty good, although the ending detracts.  Still, if you're as hungry for westerns as I am, it's well worth watching.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com