Author Topic: How to remove a jammed cartridge in 1873 Uberti rifle3  (Read 6266 times)

Offline offthehook

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
How to remove a jammed cartridge in 1873 Uberti rifle3
« on: February 22, 2014, 04:55:32 PM »
Was shooting some 45 colt ammunition loaded with Winchester primers in my rifle today when I had a shell that did not fire.  When I tried to eject the shell the ejector did not remove it from the chamber and a second shell came up with the carrier and got stuck.  Since the second shell was firmly held by the extractor I could not remove it.  I tried pushing the carrier down and did not want to force anything.  I took the rifle home, disassembled it and removed the stuck cartridges.

Is there any easier way to clear a jam like this.  I can post a picture as soon as I figure it out

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: How to remove a jammed cartridge in 1873 Uberti rifle3
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 05:04:05 PM »
Was shooting some 45 colt ammunition loaded with Winchester primers in my rifle today when I had a shell that did not fire.  When I tried to eject the shell the ejector did not remove it from the chamber and a second shell came up with the carrier and got stuck.  Since the second shell was firmly held by the extractor I could not remove it.  I tried pushing the carrier down and did not want to force anything.  I took the rifle home, disassembled it and removed the stuck cartridges.

Is there any easier way to clear a jam like this.  I can post a picture as soon as I figure it out

Timely, got worried I was slowing things down and jammed my .44 colt cartridges into mine and they are stuck good!
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Thumper

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 11:09:30 AM »
To lower the carrier, you have to go through the loading gate with a dowel and push the next cartridge back up the magazine slightly then lower it

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:23:28 AM »

Offline offthehook

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 05:30:32 PM »
Thanks Thumper. Sounds too easy. That'll learn me.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 07:46:01 PM »
If the second cartridge is being held by the extractor you have to take your handy dandy screw knife/driver that you have on your belt and gently lift the extractor off the rim.  Then you can push it and the carrier down.  If there is a round stuck on the extractor and the carrier is up you can't open the loading gate.

Offline offthehook

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 09:01:09 PM »
Thanks Pettifogger.  I was wondering if I could lift that extractor. I'd did not want to try it at the range but was thinking about it today.  I am pretty new to CAS and the 1873. I have shot about ten matches and probably a thousand practice rounds and have been fortunate from a jam perspective. I keep picking up more knowledge along the way thanks to all of you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com