Author Topic: USFA Dragoons  (Read 9704 times)

Offline CJS57

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
USFA Dragoons
« on: February 21, 2014, 05:30:51 PM »
Does anyone have a clue how many of these were made? Even a WAG based on nothing at all. I am thinking maybe 50?

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: USFA Dragoons
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 09:24:01 PM »
That's not a USFA.  It's a Colt Second Gen.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 02:33:07 AM »
Hmmm....  what's with the Address line ?  

and the serial range 1362 ?       2nd Gen. Colts continued the numbering so I don't think it's 2nd Gen.

This intrigued me...so I did some looking ...seems the "Colt's PT.FA" etc.  is mention here  as a "Mystery" gun.

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-revolvers/22621-colt-2nd-gen-blackpowder-mystery-gun.html
when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:44:13 AM »

Offline CJS57

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 07:26:39 AM »
Pettifogger, I too thought it was a Colt 2nd Gen. when I acquired it! Maybe a out of sequence serial number or end of production oddball. But I did research and this variation is traceable to USFA. Boxed examples from USFA are known. But how many made?

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 08:08:48 AM »
That would be a head scratcher then  :-\

COLT'S PT FA MFG CO HARTFORD, CONN USA  rater than customary  USPFA  of the time, or the after Colt Suit threat USFA barrel address.

I'd think COLT'S PT FA MFG CO HARTFORD, CONN USA. on a USFA product would be right in Colts' FACE.

Your 50  calculation guess "based on nothing at all" may be correct....maybe way less

I have a USPFA marked Richards, from the 93 Shot Show , numbers in less than 35 ... and Fifty's for the 51 Navy
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline CJS57

• Citizen
  • Liked:
USFA Dragoons
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 09:11:55 AM »
 Quote:
 "COLT'S PT FA MFG CO HARTFORD, CONN USA. on a USFA product would be right in Colts' FACE." ~  I Agree!

I believe (without any evidence)  that is why none of the known examples say USFA anywhere on them! Even the cylinder roll stamps say "US Patent" not "Colts Patent". Apparently they were all sent to a distributor, sold quickly and quietly, so that way Colt didn't go after them.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 07:53:34 PM »
Back in the late 1980's there were two single action army's at a large gun show in Phoenix.  The were marked like yours so everyone knew they weren't real Colts.  They were very well made, but we never did figure out who made them.

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 12:35:40 AM »
That, of course, would mean that they predate USFA by at least 4 or 5 years.
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline CJS57

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 11:26:27 AM »
So the guns referenced are by Pettifogger's 30 year old memory which he saw at a gun show, May or May Not be the exact same model as this one. Without pictures, data, serials, notes, etc. that sort of info is certainly interesting and welcome, but hardly definitive. Remember, Pettifogger initially said this was a Colt 2nd Gen. , so to me there is no proof or even hard data given by any of those comments.  Pettifogger is welcome to comment on this open forum of course and I appreciate his or anyone's comments in a search for truth! But I also am welcome make a rebuttal to those comments.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 08:17:04 PM »
Try reading what I said.  I did not say it was your model.  I said it was a SAA marked in the same fashion.  And, thank you for your permission to post.

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 11:08:54 PM »
CJS57,
You came on this board looking for a "wild ass guess based on nothing at all" (your words, not mine) and now you are disparaging over the lack of proof for information posted?  Pettifogger (who, by the way, is a respected, long-time contributor to this forum) was doing nothing other than trying to help.
CJF
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline charlene

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 11:10:49 PM »
I have one just like the OP's. Mine is serial number 364. Of course, who knows whether the serial numbers on these things are really "serial" numbers. The Colt Forum thread linked to in one of the posts above was a thread started by me back in 2009. In that thread I indicated a serial number of "864", but that was a mistake, I had misread the "3" as an "8".

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 07:53:29 PM »
I have one just like the OP's. Mine is serial number 364. Of course, who knows whether the serial numbers on these things are really "serial" numbers. The Colt Forum thread linked to in one of the posts above was a thread started by me back in 2009. In that thread I indicated a serial number of "864", but that was a mistake, I had misread the "3" as an "8".

You and the OP ought to get together and work out a deal.  After all to shoot Frontiersman you need TWO revolvers. ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com