Author Topic: Action Smoothing Good or Not?  (Read 7782 times)

Offline pawneefork

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Action Smoothing Good or Not?
« on: February 15, 2014, 01:01:03 AM »
My NIB 1979 SAA is a little stiff.  Cosmetically flawless, but mechanically New.  It was nice to hear 4 clicks 30 years ago, but now I wonder whether I should be hearing 4 GLASSY clicks : )  That's the sound from TV and movies that started me on this journey anyway.  That, and history.  What say ye?  A gun this new (35 yrs) isn't exactly collectible, and though it's NIB, I may in fact shoot it.  I'm old and there isn't much time for preserving things based on arguable collectibility.  Can I, should I, have it tuned up, and let a good smith do (Bob James?) what the mfg should have done back in the Carter days?  Thanks.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: Action Smoothing Good or Not?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 01:30:04 AM »
Why not shoot it for 500-1000 rounds and 'then' decide if it actually needs work?

Put your money into range time - it'll pay off.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 03:36:48 PM »
Ditto's, 10-4, etc. to what St. George posted. Whenever I've ever purchased a new 'piece', I always put ALOT of rounds through it before attempting any needed smoothing of the innards. Unless there is a BIG problem then a return would be in the works. Just this working of the action, metal to metal contact will smooth things out many/most of the time. If any glitches are there, they'll still be announcing themselves.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:46:25 PM »

Offline pawneefork

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 04:16:05 PM »
That's surprisingly good advice, thanks!

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 10:32:58 PM »
I might go just a tad further.  Just swap out thr factory springs for a good set of lighter after-market springs.  Unless your into real CAS competition, you may find springs are all you need.  I recommend Lee's Gunsmithing Gunfighter springs.  Available thru Brownells.

Coffinmaker

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 12:28:38 PM »
As suggested the right springs will make a big difference.  As will a good set of snap caps to shoot the gun to your hearts content...with no ammo going down range.
"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1211
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 07:47:42 PM »
Yep on a spring kit.  I have two .44 Spcl SAA's, both made in 1978.  First one was well used and had timing issues, so I got an action job on it by Bob Taylor (a very talented 'smith no longer with us).  Felt great.  Later I bought the second one, and it appeared as though it had never been fired.  I put a spring kit in it (AA Spring kit, no longer available) and that's all.  The gun that had the action job is just a tiny bit smoother than the one with the spring kit.

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 03:06:53 PM »
No real point in an action job or springs until the gun is really broken in.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 11:05:46 PM »
A lighter main spring is likely all it needs.  I own a dozen Colt SAAs and only one of them actually needed an action job.

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 11:30:43 PM »
Have a few myself and worked on/shot many, many more.  Always been pretty demanding and want a good trigger on any gun I shoot right from the get go.  I know with one tiny bit of dry firing if the guns warrants a trigger job, or not.  That said, I've never seen a new SAA of any brand that couldn't use a decent trigger job.  Although most USFA guns come as close as anything I have shot to being almost acceptable.

I start with a new mainspring..generally a reduced Wolff with a washer or Brownell's space under it.  Maybe a Gunslinger wire spring on the bolt and trigger.  But I like the Wolff flat springs as well depending on how I'll use the gun.  That usually makes them much more shootable for me.  But by then I check the over travel on the hammer (caused by a short trigger) if there is too much over travel on the hammer I replace the trigger with a hand fitted (much better/crisp/lighter trigger pull the result) factory part.  Over travel (short sear on the trigger)  is generally a sign of a previously, poorly done trigger work anyway or just sloppy work direct from Colt.

Just me maybe, but I like a good trigger.  No willing to put up with a bad trigger long.  Never thought about putting ammo down range on bad/difficult practice using a poor trigger.  SAA can have an amazing trigger with so little effort.  Why not take a moment and make it right before ever snapping on a primer. 

New springs and a washer or buff might run $30.  A new trigger $30 more.  Jerry Kuhnhausen shop manual another $40.   Cheap if you are ever going to own more than one SAA...even if it is just one at a time.  YMMV.
"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

Offline shrapnel

• There is nothing like the original
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Keeping what made the West safe, alive
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 10:19:41 PM »

There isn't a single action out there that wouldn't benefit from a good action job. There is nothing in a good action job that will hurt your revolver. I don't own a single Colt SAA that hasn't had that done. Everything about the gun will be better. If you notice the stiff/glitchy aspect of your revolver, there is no sense in waiting. Besides, for what it would cost to try and smooth it up by shooting it hundreds of rounds, it would still be cheaper to get the action job and start shooting a smooth gun.

Shooting a gun to wear the parts won't do anything like stoning and reworking the mainspring. Timing is also part of the action job, you can't time a gun by shooting it. It is worth it to send it to a reputable gunsmith, don't mess with it yourself. There are 2 kinds of people that work on guns; gunsmiths and fools...
I never considered myself a failure...I started out at the bottom and happen to like it here!

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2014, 12:29:22 AM »
Far as I'm concerned the all need tuning, especially Colt's. Dry firing and shooting can only make a minor issue worse. I spent more hours stoning the action of my New Frontier than any of my Italians.
SASS #81,827

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com