Author Topic: 12 G. brass bp. load's .  (Read 4250 times)

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
12 G. brass bp. load's .
« on: February 14, 2014, 11:43:28 AM »
Have loaded up some Magtech brass shotshell's for the upcomming Spring Turkey season. 1 st. load hold's 75 gr. of 2ff Swiss bp. an over powder wad a fiber wad 1-1/8 oz. of # 7 lead shot and a overshot wad,sealed with Elmer's glue. The other load is for (Hog repellent)  if need. It hold's 75 gr. of the same powder and a over powder wad, a fiber wad,and a greased patch Lee 7/8 oz. pure lead slug. Does anyone use a grease patch along with the Lee 7/8 oz. slug? If so how did it group.  Will pattern and test slug soon. I will be useing these load's in my old Hammer double 12 ga. ,,,,,,,Dusty

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: 12 G. brass bp. load's .
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 05:00:33 PM »
Dusty
So your planning on Smoking a Turkey and a Hog . Best of Luck as always . I used paper hulls for my black powder loads . I also used a ballistic type wad , which is basically a shot cup .more room for powder while keeping your shot together in flight .

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 05:25:43 PM »
Thank's Rowdy,getting started on working up a load for the spring season. It's about four wk's away. Not to soon to get some practice in. Are you planning a spring Turkey hunt this season? If so Good Luck to Ya Pard,,,,,Dusty

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:23:12 AM »

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 08:45:20 AM »
Dusty
After the Snow is gone ? Plan on patterning my loads , I like #5 or #6 shot . Last spring I harvested a nice Tom at a distance . I was using the #5's . The shotgun was a TTN with a 26 inch barrel with Tubes . I got the Tubes from Colonial Arms in Alabama . That's why I have been able to take Turkeys at a  distance say ( 50 yards ) . I have a 87 clone that I would LOVE to have a 30 inch barrel with X full choke , think it would be an Excellent Turkey gun . Good luck with your load developing hope take a 25 pound Tom .

Online Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 12:03:59 PM »
Dusty
So your planning on Smoking a Turkey and a Hog . Best of Luck as always . I used paper hulls for my black powder loads . I also used a ballistic type wad , which is basically a shot cup .more room for powder while keeping your shot together in flight .

Add a fish and you have a variation on doing a MCNABB!   ( Highland McNabb; Stag, grouse and salmon all on one day)

http://www.aswanley.com/when-is-the-roe-deer-season-FAQS.html
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 03:36:31 PM »
Rowdy it's about time for that snow to go away, aint it! Sir Charles,will a rattler do in place of the fish.The Concho river aint got enough water in it right now to float a fish. We need rain bad,,,,,,,,Dusty

Online Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 05:45:52 PM »
A McNabb requires "fur, fin and feather all in one day".  I am not a McNabb official scorer so don't take this to the bank, but it is my HUMBLE opinion that the McNabb rules already have been adapted to local conditions.  If that is what it takes; - Go for it.  The limitation is that the feat must be an ACHIEVEMENT, not an everyday task.

For a Texas border McNabb, perhaps we should specify a Chupacabra as a wild card as it could substitute for any one of `fur, fin or feather`.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 09:00:23 PM »
Dusty, you can help yourself to some o' my rain -- and melting snow. Come and get all you want!
By the way, that hog repellant looks decidedly deadly. Keep us in the loop if you get in on a swine jihad!

;)

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 10:28:41 AM »
Sure could use some of that rain in west and central Tx. Oregon Bill.Loaded up six , 12ga.brass shell's with 65 gr. 3fff Goex an overshot wad a fiber cushion wad and this cotton and denim sabot,greased with my home made bp. lube .This sabot patch,hold's the Lee cast slug very nice in the Magtech brass. Will try a few at the Lucky 11 ranch later this wk. Here is a pic. of the patch and slug, and also, one ready to be sent down pipe . ,,,,,Dusty

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com