Author Topic: The 73 Winchester is the ULTIMATE Zombie Rifle.  (Read 20157 times)

Offline CPL Jayhawker Jake

• Very Active Citizen
  • Over the Hills and Far Away...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The 73 Winchester is the ULTIMATE Zombie Rifle.
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2014, 08:06:43 AM »
The AR-15 is a good rifle  but will you slow down and AIM or because you have a stack of 30 rd mags will you spray and pray ?

With that mentality, the only acceptable weapon to carry would be a 1873 Springfield Trapdoor, or maybe even a 1861 Springfield Rifled Musket!  As long as you have a repeater, soldiers (and zombie fighters) will just waste ammo!  ::)

I personally think that the '73 Winchester is far from being the "ultimate" zombie or survival rifle, but, that said, there are several rifles that could be far worse.  It's all a matter of what you know, and how much ammo you have.
GAF #827

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2014, 03:13:36 PM »
I have always thought a 10/22 with multiple mags would be the best all around "zombie" gun.

Carry 1000's of rounds of ammunition and will easily bounce around inside of a human skull.

As a student of all things zombie related, and an ex-owner of a 10/22, I will point out that bulk .22 LR ammo is not the most reliable ammunition available.  Remington Golden and Thunderbolts and even the Winchester bulk packs had at least one FTF in my Ruger per magazine.  If you can stack CCI Mini-Mags you'd be better off but good luck finding that now  :(  My personal zombie gun is a Keltec Sub2000 in 9mm, using Glock mags.  115gr ammo isn't much louder than a .22 in the a carbine, and I have 31 round Glock mags for it.  Now if I had to choose a lever gun for this situation, it'd be an 1860 Winchester since I won't have to bust my thumb in a loading gate and I can top off whenever I need to  ;)

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2014, 06:25:14 PM »
My AR would be my primary rifle but my '73 would be a good backup. The nice thing about a '73 is that over the long haul mags might get scarce. Of course someone has to sit and load all those AR mags too.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 12:48:24 AM »

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2014, 07:53:08 PM »
Rowdy,

Just in case you missed it... I too was just having fun!
But then, having a since of hummer is important isn't it?
My best,
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline KirkD

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2014, 08:24:56 PM »
I think a fellow would need two or three gun belts.

Offline rdstrain49

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2014, 08:48:00 AM »
Rowdy;

I sincerely hope that in the future you will not waste your time watching zombie movies, but instead would choose to broaden your education by watching Deadwood, Lonesome Dove and the like. ;D

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2014, 10:18:47 AM »
I like Zombie Shows. I envision the Zombies as Democrats coming to take my money and Rights.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline rdstrain49

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2014, 07:10:49 PM »
OK, now that's funny.

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2014, 07:38:30 PM »
rdstrain49
I guess it's my wife's fault .   she stopped at the Library and checked out season 2 & 3 of the Walking Dead  . We started watching it and I hate to say we were hooked . Now we love Lonesome Dove ,Tombstone and tons of westerns . But we also like The Walking Dead , hope they have a 73 on the next season ? I'm sure Uberti would love to send a few .

Offline rdstrain49

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2014, 08:29:20 PM »
Glad to hear that your education is not going lacking.   ;)

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2014, 07:41:51 AM »
rdstrain49
I guess it's my wife's fault .   she stopped at the Library and checked out season 2 & 3 of the Walking Dead  . We started watching it and I hate to say we were hooked . Now we love Lonesome Dove ,Tombstone and tons of westerns . But we also like The Walking Dead , hope they have a 73 on the next season ? I'm sure Uberti would love to send a few .

In the newer version of Night of the Living Dead, the heroine is running an 1860 replica.  The original had another Winchester lever gun, I don't remember the model.

Offline Grenadier

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2014, 01:14:14 PM »
If you want to see Winchesters and Zombies, there is only one flick worth mentioning.

Shaun of the Dead!

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2014, 03:18:01 PM »
If you want to see Winchesters and Zombies, there is only one flick worth mentioning.

Shaun of the Dead!

Hilarious movie
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2014, 05:04:38 PM »
In "Cowboys & Aliens:, the Cowboy guns seemed to do pretty good against the gremlins. Granted, they were not the Walking Dead.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2014, 10:25:06 PM »
Howdy
I haven't seen Shaun of the Dead . I guess I will have to try to find it . As for Cowboys & Aliens , my wife and I went to the movies and we enjoyed it . Now it's no Lonesome Dove but it was enjoyable .

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2014, 07:18:52 AM »
Howdy
I haven't seen Shaun of the Dead . I guess I will have to try to find it . As for Cowboys & Aliens , my wife and I went to the movies and we enjoyed it . Now it's no Lonesome Dove but it was enjoyable .

"Shaun" is typical English humor with zombies and a Winchester.  It's decent.

Cowboys and Aliens was a perfectly good fantasy and should never be lumped into Cowboy movies, although I very much enjoyed the character of Dolarhyde portrayed by Ford as a real western rancher/Bastard formed by his western life and war experiences. 
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Grenadier

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2014, 07:22:13 AM »
I know it's akin to blasphemy on this board, but I just do not "get" Lonesome Dove.

Huge Robert Duvall fan, but LD just falls short of making a good western for me.

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2014, 09:27:06 AM »
I know it's akin to blasphemy on this board, but I just do not "get" Lonesome Dove.

Huge Robert Duvall fan, but LD just falls short of making a good western for me.

It is OK, I think the series for me crammed too much into a short time.  The real problem is that the end comes off contrived since Duvall carries the show (far more active, far more heroic in all he does) and the quiet, almost absent at times, Jones has to come off as this heroic character which, frankly he never really comes off as. He is the captain who stands there looking stoic a little too much.  It's like in the end he finally does something and is expected to be lauded as the great iconic hero.  Ulrich's character shows up, leaves and is killed and we are supposed to have an enormous amount invested in him but we don't, and I don't buy the characters having it either.  A couple more episodes with some more backstory would have fleshed it out completely.  As is, it is decent, absolutely great for television, but not awe inspiring. 
- Cole Younger

Offline Grenadier

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2014, 12:59:48 PM »
Contrived is a good description from my view point. I suppose I expected something earth shaking when I finally got around to seeing it. I felt Duvall was much better in Open Range.

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 166
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2014, 03:29:51 PM »
I thought Duvall did a great job playing AL Seiber in Geronimo, rarely hear anyone speak of that movie, but i really liked it.
King Medallion

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com