Author Topic: Cimarron Model P vs Frontier  (Read 19126 times)

Offline Michael Bear

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cimarron Model P vs Frontier
« on: February 08, 2014, 03:00:35 PM »
Howdy Pards

I'm trying to figure out the differences between these two since the price is just about the same.
Any pros and cons of one vs the other? Which one is a better gun?

Offline MJN77

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Cimarron Model P vs Frontier
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 03:23:58 PM »
Both are good guns. The "model P" is a Uberti and the "frontier" is a Pietta.

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 05:40:10 PM »
I have both purchased in the past few months.  They are equal in quality.  The biggest difference that I have found is the grip frame back strap. I do Fast Draw (wax bullets only)  The Model P frame I shoot low and with the Frontier being fuller in the top, I shoot higher. So the point ability depending on hand size and shape might make the difference in choice.  If you can handle them both and shoot them best option, If not possible use a laser light second best option. Other wise just get the one that feels best in your hand.

One thing I did not / do not like on my Frontier is the Base Pin.  The one I got has flat grooves cut on one side to lock it in place, I replaced with another base pin where the locking groove goes around the base pin.

On a side note:  I bought my frontier through Davidson through my local dealer and it was $50.00 less than ordering it from Cimarron.
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:17:40 AM »

Offline Michael Bear

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 06:59:37 PM »
I did own Frontier but sold it to good friend who was in desperate need of it. I liked it. Im just a bit confused with their prices. Finish is good on Frontier and almost comparable with new Gw2 since they're both Pietta. Now Uberti's Model P I have never handled but it look kind of dull comparing to Frontier. Perchaps Pietta is less expensive to make and that's why they can work on their actions and finish. Who knows...

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 08:09:02 AM »
I did own Frontier but sold it to good friend who was in desperate need of it. I liked it. Im just a bit confused with their prices. Finish is good on Frontier and almost comparable with new Gw2 since they're both Pietta. Now Uberti's Model P I have never handled but it look kind of dull comparing to Frontier. Perchaps Pietta is less expensive to make and that's why they can work on their actions and finish. Who knows...

Both are made in Italy. Both companies have the same manufacturing costs and labor costs.  The fit and finish is often hit and miss for both companies.  So it is not too confusing as to the final price being close.

I have not experienced any vast difference in either, except for things that might be more of a personal like.  As I noted the back strap and the base pin were the only real differences that I found.  Beyond that it is a Ford vs Chevy thing in my mind.
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Offline Michael Bear

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 08:44:49 AM »
Btw TexasJacks has two display models on sale with US finish ;D

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1198
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 07:35:00 PM »
I think the quality is about the same.  Like TwoWalks, I am not a fan of the Pietta base pin, but that is easily replaced with an Uberti pin if desired.  As of a few years ago, the case colors on the Cimarron Model P is much darker than a standard Uberti Cattleman.  To me the Pietta Frontier frames and Model P frames look very similar, with the Pietta having perhaps a tiny bit more color.  The Model P has several details that are more authentic than the Frontier, but the Frontier has a lighter action out of the box.  Some of that is the lighter main spring, which is hour-glassed somewhat.  Whether they are also polishing more inside I'm not sure.  I think the nice actions on the Pietta is due to Alchemista (Alessandro Pietta) being a cowboy shooter and knowing what cowboy shooters want.  The heavier springs in the Uberti are more like a real Colt.

I like the Model P better myself but that is for the small details.  As for cost, in the most recent price list (Jan. 1, 2014) the Pietta is only a few dollars less than the Uberti.

Offline Michael Bear

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 08:17:28 PM »
Thank you very much for great information. I have asked about detailed pics of those US finish guns since they look really good. Price is high but Im sure this gorgeus finish is well worth it.
Thank You
Bear

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 12:03:27 PM »
Howdy Michael, I have both and have been more than satisfied with each model. IMHO the Frontier is the best deal because of the action work and real CCH. The Model P and GW II have chemical treated CCH. The walnut grips on the Model P feel a tade larger than the walnut grips on the Frontier, both handle and shoot great. Good Luck :)

Jefro :D Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 10:42:06 PM »
Their case coloring method is using a molten hot salt solution that is different from the true bone/charcoal case coloring.

Offline Michael Bear

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 07:53:31 AM »
Here.is what I received.from.Dean Osteen.at Cimarrons a few weeks back:

The model p is made by Uberti and is a slightly more accurate copy of the Colt 1st gen (most parts will interchange with original).  The Frontier is made by Pietta and has a slicker action, but isn’t compatible with original guns.

The case coloring is not “real” if you mean the old bonemeal and charcoal method, it’s done with the cyanide method.  We do offer the real deal original case hardening for an additional $250 (must be special ordered).

“Better” is entirely subjective.  They’re about the same quality-wise.  We carry both brands for supply reasons only.

Offline willcarter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 12:20:19 AM »
Model P can be had with black powder frame or modern cross pin.
Don't know if the Frontier can have BP frame

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1198
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 09:07:35 AM »
Model P can be had with black powder frame or modern cross pin.
Don't know if the Frontier can have BP frame

Frontier comes both styles.

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 09:30:26 PM »
Howdy
I have a Cimarron model P with a German Silver front sight and Charcoal Bluing beautiful gun . I just need to go out and shoot it .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com