Author Topic: Trail Boss in .455  (Read 1596 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Trail Boss in .455
« on: January 17, 2014, 03:06:53 PM »
Took my .450 Tranter Army, MK VI .455 and .455 Colt New Service out to play t'other day ....

I've gotten used to them not grouping where the sights pointed with most loads, and sometimes not very well at all. I was pleasantly surprised to find a load that shot very well from the Mk VI and didn't require holding off.

That load turned out to be bullets cast from the Lyman 265 gr HB mould driven by 4.5 grs of Trail Boss. Had a real nice 'snap' to it and the group was centred on the target, albeit 7" high with a 6 o'clock hold on an 8" bull. This was shot off hand at 20 m.

Both the Tranter and NS shot well with various loads, but neither grouped to point of aim. At closer targets, it wouldn't have mattered one wit for practical purposes.
Brass was factory Dominion and cut down .45 Colt cases, which are as tough as nails compared to the Dominion.

As much as I find it a PITA to cast those 265 HB, I'm going to have to get at it if I want to get the best out of the MK VI. But before I do, I'm going to see if it likes Lyman 454190 250 gr sized .452, like the 265 gr were.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Trail Boss in .455
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 04:39:00 PM »
I'd leave 'em unsized myself.  Thats the way all my .45s like them, especially my New Service. (.455 1916 British contract, rechambered to .45 Colt)
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 05:33:09 PM »
I've tried Winchester .454 250 RNL and the accuracy was the pits.

I could try 'out-of-the-mould' but that would necessitate pan lubing or handlubing. Don't know if I want to do that when I have a load that works.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:22:31 PM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 05:32:13 PM »
Went to the range today with a couple of different bullets in .455 ammo. One was a commercial 250 gr SWC and the other a commercial 250 RNFP. Powder charge for both was the same - 4.5 grs Trail Boss. Brass was Dominion.

At 12 yds offhand, my MKVI put 5 rds of the SWC into a group that measures 1-1/2"H x 1"V, centre to centre, just a tad right from point of aim! Not believing this, I fired a second group, this one clustering 4 rds into a 1" group with a called flyer 1" outside the group. The RNFP load gave slightly wider groups, but impacted at the same place.

The Colt NS put 4 SWC's into the same size group as the MKVI, with again, a called flyer I" away. This performance was repeated with the RNFP load, one called flyer ruining an other wise great group.

At 25 yds, the MKVI put 5 rds of SWC into a group 2-1/2"H x 2"V, the group printing 8"H and 4"L of the POA.
The New Service put 5rds of the RNFP's into 2-1/4"H x 2"V, printing 2"H and 4"L of the POA.

Again, these groups were fired offhand. I prefer the discipline of offhand shooting to using a rest, rifle or handgun. In competition, I'm not going to be able to use a rest and they would impact differently in any case.

Needless to say that Trail Boss is proving a powder worthy of consideration when loading for the .455.

But - a warning!!! These are not wimp loads. If you are at all concerned with the integrity of your .455, you may not want to shoot them in your gun.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com