Author Topic: Authentic Bison Leather Color  (Read 3961 times)

1961MJS

Authentic Bison Leather Color
« on: January 13, 2014, 01:07:54 PM »
Hi

Well, I know from Packing Iron that cartridge belts and holsters were made in various shades of brown, tan, and of course black.  I'm making some Russell Green River knives for my son's old Scout Troop.  One of the patrols is named the Bison Patrol and I thought it would be the least I could do to make the sheathes for their knife set out of Bison Hide.  What colors were used, same as the cowhides in Packing Iron?  One of the suppliers has distressed hides for $147 in black, Chocolate, Mahogany, and a lighter tan color.

Thanks

Mike

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Authentic Bison Leather Color
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 06:11:53 PM »
Bison hide by itself is probably going be too soft unless you can get veg tanned and most buffalo that is available via today's market in the thinner thicknesses is chrome tanned anyway and not good up against steel  best suggestion  1) make a liner of veg tan in something like 5/6 or 6/7 oz and cover with thinner buffalo. FWIW -  all of the original buffalo hide sheaths I've ever seen (a thousand or more) on the other hand were buffalo rawhide or when hair on they were over a wooden or rawhide liner.

Colors can range from natural, to various browns, to black so pick you what you like...
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

1961MJS

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 07:08:50 PM »
Thanks,  I considered going that route also.  That design would also allow for adding fringe.  I wasn't aware that most bison was chrome tanned.  I'll check to be sure it's not.

Thanks again

Mike

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:45:09 AM »

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 12:25:56 AM »
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 04:05:59 PM »
Because it's been chrome tanned, when I've had requests for bison on knife sheaths, I've just used the bison for the outer layer. Pretty much the way you would for snake or other thin exotics.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

1961MJS

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 09:12:47 PM »
Hi

I've gotten a sheath for an 8 inch Green River Butcher knife close to being done.  What should I finish a dark tan Bison Leather sheath with?

Thanks

Mike

Offline Camano Ridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 08:55:41 AM »
For the look you are trying to achieve I would go with Skidmore's leather cream, or Montana Pitch blend. Or some people make there own
Bee's wax and oil mix. I like SKidmore's.

1961MJS

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 07:17:25 PM »
Thanks

I'll get some Skidmore's. 

Buffalo Leather isn't like working with Tooling leather at ALL.  I'm making several buffalo leather sheaths.  I've gotten two fairly close to being finished, and edging the buffalo over the tooling leather doesn't work well.

Thanks again

Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com