Author Topic: Rifle side matches  (Read 10865 times)

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rifle side matches
« on: January 06, 2014, 07:36:29 PM »
I was just curious.  I know most of the side matches for CAS is with BPCRs, is there a Wild Bunch version with 1903-A3s and maybe some SMLEs?  After I get a Remington and Winchester Model of 1917, I'd like to snag an 03, would be kind of cool shooting it in a match since NRA High Power dropped the bolt guns from the service rifle category  ::)

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Rifle side matches
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 08:57:19 PM »
Jimbob, there are no WB matches for the '03 that I know of.  There is a 'long range' side match though at Winter Range using the '03.  It is my intent for 2014 to incorporate the same BUCKY O'NEILL MILITARY RIFLE side match at our NJ State match. Purpose is to bring more turn bolt CAS shooters to the LR side matches

Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 08:52:27 AM »
That looked interesting until I hit the no jacketed bullets  ??? 

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:13:25 AM »

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 10:27:13 AM »
That looked interesting until I hit the no jacketed bullets  ???  

Not a problem.  There are loads with heavy cast bullets over smokeless that make the specs and reach out. See the GAF board, THE BARRACKS. No reason to sideline your Springfield, Krag, Mauser, ShtMLE or whatever.

Me, I've just ordered a 1888 Steyr-Commission rifle to make up a Boer War impression. It seems that one of the Commandos on the Boer side was recruited from Scandinavian miners, etc., and was equipped with the 1888. Two of their members share my last name.

BTW there was a American Corps on the Boer side.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 10:56:12 AM »
Join the GAF if you want to shoot period rifles like Springfields and Mausers.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 08:05:45 PM »
Join the GAF if you want to shoot period rifles like Springfields and Mausers.

My Google-fu is weak, what is GAF?

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 08:44:15 PM »
It is based here on this forum, within "The Barracks" board.  Don't wurry abaht et, I had a computer taken away from me at one time 'cause I wasn't using it and the office was short of equipment. I had to teach myself on an obsolete 'puter.

Here is the link.  Just click on it and your answer will pop up;

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/board,20.0.html
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 07:53:23 AM »
My Google-fu is weak, what is GAF?
As has been said check in the Barracks. Check our web site too! http://www.grandarmyofthefrontier.org/

The Grand Army of the Frontier is an organization dedicated to "honor[ing] the memories and achievements of the late Victorian-era military of all nations between 1858 and 1904, with a particular emphasis on American army on the Western Frontier between 1860 and 1900, though the pursuit and sharing of knowledge, and by actively participating in the hobbies of Cowboy Action Shooting, historical reenacting, living history programs, skirmishing, social events, and other activities while wearing appropriate military attire." (from our mission statement)
We started as a bunch of CAS shooters who liked to shoot in military uniforms of the period, but have grown into our own organization with our own rules. We also have sort of a version of "Wild Bunch" (call the Era of Expansion match) for the 1900-1916 weapons. Below are a couple of videos shot at our Mid-West regional match.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1VrbmYd5Ps&feature=c4-overview&list=UUXw3tE3r0hB_LTk-Q3NeD1g[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmI0s49qP2c&feature=share&list=UUXw3tE3r0hB_LTk-Q3NeD1g[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApYp6_FgLOc&feature=youtube_gdata[/youtube]

...Sorry for hijacking the thread into a recruiting piece  :-[
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 11:22:58 AM »
Good on ya' for doing so, mate! Glad to assist in the recruitment drive. If it wasn't so far to travel, I'd be there. But these days, I'm not keen on crossing the DMZ with guns.
I hate being interviewed by border agents as a possible terrorist.

I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 11:40:45 AM »
If it wasn't so far to travel, I'd be there.
Have you thought about carpooling with Rattlesnake Jack. He seemed to indicate that he shoots with you up there.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 02:00:44 PM »
Grant lives on the lee side of the Rockies in 'Wild Rose' country. That's about a 12-13 hour drive to link up with him before the trek to a GAF event.

Let me put it another way - we have some good events here in British Columbia. Are we likely to see you at any of them? When was the last time you crossed the DMZ with firearms? If you ever do, it's better if you have a Canadian Firearms Licence or PAL -Possession & Acquisition Licence; one for restricted, one for non-restricted as opposed to a one shot deal.

That should set you back about $180. At least that is what it costs a Canuck to qualify. You'll have to come up with a police background check, a thumbprint from God and a note from your mother. If you've suffered a divorce or job loss in the last couple of years or been treated for depression or PTSD, you may not be eligible. It's good for 5 years, if that makes it worthwhile.

It's easier to get a Passport with far fewer invasive questions asked.

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 02:33:56 PM »
PJ, believe me I DO understand...but I can always hope that you could come down ;)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 03:02:08 PM »
When "Fortress America" changes it's attitude towards firearms in the hands of it's own citizens and "alien" guests, I may.

Until that time, it is unlikely. We don't see much American participation in our events either, a very few hardcore types only.

Back in my IPSC days, we used to have a LOT of US participation, sometimes comprising a quarter of a major match. Some were Viet Nam vets, notably one who had lost a leg and competed on crutches. He refused any and all concessions, saying that over there, no one made any special allowance for him, so he was damned if he'd let us.

Now he'd likely be disallowed like 150,000 other US vets who have seen combat. Wounded or otherwise, they are deemed 'mentally unfit', especially if they have symptoms of PTSD or have under gone treatment for same.

We'd better not go there or we'll get shut down for political content.

Offline Dusty Boddams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 03:45:17 PM »
I was just curious.  I know most of the side matches for CAS is with BPCRs, is there a Wild Bunch version with 1903-A3s and maybe some SMLEs?  After I get a Remington and Winchester Model of 1917, I'd like to snag an 03, would be kind of cool shooting it in a match since NRA High Power dropped the bolt guns from the service rifle category  ::)

howdy jimbob, actually rifle side matches are being done in Cleburne tx right after the main wild bunch match.  we call them BAMM matches(bolt action military match)  any bolt action mil spec type rifle can play including everything to ww2. also we allow the old duffle cut bolt guns as long as the battle sights are still on it. This match was also a featured side match at the Texas State Wild Bunch championship 2013. this was the first major wild bunch  match in the usa to have the BAMM side match. we shoot for speed and accuracy. all kinds of cool old bolt guns are showing up including 03's , 03a3's,nagants (rifle and carbine) 98's , 1891 argentines, k31's and a rumored p17 and brit enfield is supposed to be at the next one.   dusty boddams

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 04:52:58 PM »
howdy jimbob, actually rifle side matches are being done in Cleburne tx right after the main wild bunch match.  we call them BAMM matches(bolt action military match)  any bolt action mil spec type rifle can play including everything to ww2. also we allow the old duffle cut bolt guns as long as the battle sights are still on it. This match was also a featured side match at the Texas State Wild Bunch championship 2013. this was the first major wild bunch  match in the usa to have the BAMM side match. we shoot for speed and accuracy. all kinds of cool old bolt guns are showing up including 03's , 03a3's,nagants (rifle and carbine) 98's , 1891 argentines, k31's and a rumored p17 and brit enfield is supposed to be at the next one.   dusty boddams

Now that sounds promising.  I have one Model of 1917, five SMLE's, and a Vz-24.  I love my old guns  ;D 

Jim

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2014, 10:39:42 PM »
Jimbob, your 1917 is good for our Expansion Era match, and the SMLE is too, if they are #1, the #4 is too late for our era. If you come up with anything pre-1900 then you're good to go in the main match, too. Krag, GEW88, Argentine 1891, Long Lee Enfield, Moisin 1891, Swiss 89 or96 etc. I use either my Krag of Lebel usually. We love uniforms too, but that's not required to shoot.

Offline Garand

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 09:43:51 PM »
I've attended a large number of Cowboy Matches since'96 and the one thing that I find is that the match organizers never leave enough time to run side matches, or if they do they run 4-5 different side matches at the same time. Unfortunately with time constraints there is no winners to this problem.
SASS # 93688
aka Dapper Dynamite Dick

Offline Bat 2919

• G Man / Bat Masterson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Sand Creek Raiders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 10:02:38 AM »
You may also want to take a look at the American Zoot Shooters Association (AZSA).  AZSA is also on CAS City:

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?board=108.0

We do what could be called Gangster Action Shooting.  Shooting guns from the 1920’s to 1949 some clubs have long range side matches and other clubs allow period rifles in their main match shooting depending on what sort of targets they use.

We’re (1st Precinct) in the Denver Area (about an hour east near Byers) and we hold the AZSA championship match every year where we shoot long range side matches for just about every style of rifle from the period.

First Precinct is actually an off shoot of the Sand Creek Raiders CAS club.  SCR first developed a match we at the time called Wild Bunch but we latter changed the name to The Professionals (you know the other modern cowboy movie set in 1913 Mexico) so as not to be confused with SASS who stole our original name.  The Raiders hold several “Fun Matches” throughout the year where you can shoot any pistol caliber firearms available between 1892 and 1921 in the main match and shoot your long range rifles of that period in the long range side matches.
Happy Trails

G Man / Bat Masterson
NRA Endowment
SASS #2919L
AZSA #11L
NCOWS #530
BOLD# 276
GAF #750

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com