Author Topic: Vacation?  (Read 4135 times)

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Vacation?
« on: January 05, 2014, 08:59:37 PM »
Let's say my wife and I are planning a trip, 2 or 3 weeks in late May, from Ontario, California over west to Ventura and Santa Barbara, up the 101 to San Simeon, and up to San Jose. 

We're looking to visit some folks in San Bruno, then go on north to see some redwoods in the NW part of the state before crossing over to Grant's Pass and taking the 5 north to Portland.

We'll cross into Washington to Woodland and up the 5 to Olympia, Tacoma, Fort Lewis, Spanaway, Seattle and the rest of the Puget Sound area before heading back SE.

The 90 will lead us SE to the 82 and continue on  to Yakima, Toppenish, Zillah, Sunnyside, etc.  A side trip west to Paterson on the Columbia where the ferry used to cross, then back to Plymouth and Umatilla.

84 SE to Pendleton and own to Baker, Durkee, and Ontario (the one in Oregon) and over into Idaho to Payette, Fruitland and New Plymouth area before swinging back into Oregon and following the 95 to the 80 and over to Reno, Sparks, Tahoe.

We'll stop at Sacramento and the get back on the 5 to Modesto and back home via Fresno and Bakersfield.

We know most of the "big" stuff to try to visit, Winchester House, the big red trees, at least two state capitals, Hearst Castle, a few missions, and places where I grew up and which my wife has never seen, visit some friends along the way...and maybe a relative or two.

Seems there are some SASS /CAS folks along the way (seems to be clusters around Sacto and the Seattle-Tacoma area) that we could introduce ourselves to and sights no end that aren't on the AAA's tourist trap lists and don't cost a couple month's mortgage to visit.  Nothing is locked in stone and we may pass up a lot and go see something we haven't considered..... like Fort Nisqually (just remembered that from when I was up there.)

Help me out a bit.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Vacation?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 10:18:31 PM »
Morro Bay has a shootin place off the freeway,i think that's where cas shooters go.Great American Fish co. for grub is the place to go in Morro.Pismo for clam chowder,cyucas for hittin antique stores,Nopoma for the best steak ya ever hung a lip over,Jackos Steake small building but you won't get better!! Look for fliers about a band called The Crisptones,some old buddies from here that live in the area and play at McClintocks in Pismo and venues all over the area,alot of it outside on piers and such.I'm gonna be goind over a few times to check out homes,we have lived here lond enough and it's getting lousy! We have smog alert here right now in Dec.and Jan.!! never seen this since i been here since i was 2 years old!

http://www.classiccalifornia.com/YouTubeVideos.htm
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 11:38:22 PM »
Well, if yer' willin' to take a little detour, when you hit Eureka on 101, take 299 east about 40 min. to Willow Creek.  Bigfoot capitol of the world.  Or come about an hour past that and see Weaverville.  Historic gold rush town (and town of my current residence... ::)  )  founded in 1850. 

Further up 101, see Crescent City and the dock that were messed up in the tsunami in 1964 and 2012.  Maybe go crabbing.  Trinidad is another good place.  I don't know if the Lighthouse Cafe is still open, but they have some good Blackberry cobbler. 

Just south of Eureka is Fortuna.  In Fortuna, you can take highway 36 inland and find Mad River.  Go to the Burger Bar.  A 27 foot travel trailer converted to a restaurant.  They have THE BEST 1/4 lb mushroom burger EVER.    And in May/June, you'll be late enough to miss planting season, and early enough to miss harvest. 8)  They also have a SASS club in Mad River.

Beyond that little part of California, I'm as clueless as a new-born calf in a hamburger factory. ;)

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:04:41 AM »

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 12:46:58 AM »
Yea!! Ya have to go crabbin,stop by here and i'll give ya my big crabbin net i bought in Eureka,we pulled in a bunch,went back to camp and had boiling steamin crab under a full moon,man it was tastey!!!!!! :) While there go see the Carson house..
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4856
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 08:46:56 AM »
Something I missed when we were in Ventura in 2012 was the Cold Steel knife company in Ventura. Excellent knives that are scary sharp. Next time we go, definitely hitting it.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 12:09:39 PM »
Hey Rick;  I've been IN the Carson mansion. ::)

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 12:12:48 PM »
Well if ya go to Ventura you have to go to the cross just for old time sake for me ;) The other half of the family lives there,i grew up there for awhile ,i really need to get down there and see some family,sounds like you have a nice trip planned enjoy :)
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 12:13:37 PM »
Hey Rick;  I've been IN the Carson mansion. ::)

--TK

I ain't gonna ask how or why :P
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 11:10:40 PM »
damn 4T can I come?????
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 09:21:06 PM »
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 12:43:27 PM »
damn 4T can I come?????

Sure.  Love to have the company.

We'll have to take two cars, though.  Mine won't hold four people and besides,  I may decide to ga awandering for an extra week or come home early.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com