Author Topic: Switch from .45 to .38?  (Read 12450 times)

Offline SPQR476

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Switch from .45 to .38?
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2014, 01:25:03 PM »
Yep, like everything, a competitive spirit can go too far.  I'm still there because it's fun.  It's just more fun for me when I'm doing the best I can. :)

In the grand scheme of things, there's no Cadillac at the prize table--heck there's usually no prize table where I shoot-- and winning is never worth having a bad time or ruining someone else's day by arguing a miniscule point.

Sam "The Bishop" Parker
SASS 97652

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2014, 09:34:59 PM »
Yep, like everything, a competitive spirit can go too far.  I'm still there because it's fun.  It's just more fun for me when I'm doing the best I can. :)

In the grand scheme of things, there's no Cadillac at the prize table--heck there's usually no prize table where I shoot-- and winning is never worth having a bad time or ruining someone else's day by arguing a miniscule point.

+1.  Some of the "I only shoot for fun" group seem to forget that at CAS matches (that should be the first tip off, it is a MATCH) we do keep score.  Cowboy shooting is the most fun shooting I have ever been involved in.  But, at every match I try to do the best I can do.  Seems like the entire attitude of "doing the best you can do" is becoming an alien concept in our ever liberalizing society where everyone expects things to be given to them and that people that work hard and excel are the bad guys.

Offline Rye Miles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2014, 07:34:58 AM »
Yep, like everything, a competitive spirit can go too far.  I'm still there because it's fun.  It's just more fun for me when I'm doing the best I can. :)

Now if ya REALLY wanna have some fun load up them new hoglegs with black powder and join us on the "Dark Side"!!
 Rye
Northeast Ohio

God created man, Sam Colt made them equal

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 09:22:24 PM »

Offline SPQR476

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2014, 07:44:45 AM »
I do shoot black recreationally in revolver, lever gun, shotgun, and sharps.   I've shot it in a match, and I actually have thought long and hard about going that way full time.  I'm gonna shoot the new fangled stuff and focus on being consistent to give a run at what I can do at my absolute best, though, with no excuses.  You never know, though...one of the smaller club matches may see me with BP.  It's just too much fun to bang away gunfighter with BP every once in a while. 
Sam "The Bishop" Parker
SASS 97652

Offline Garand

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2014, 04:38:43 PM »

I wish CAS had a min power factor like wild bunch, but it doesn't. 

Has it been a while since you read the manual? Yes they do have a power factor.
SASS # 93688
aka Dapper Dynamite Dick

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2014, 04:47:10 PM »
... and I've yet to see it tested or enforced.

Wrong. A 'gamesman' in our possee was shooting sub-mouse fart loads in his Ruger H&R .32 mag in the days of one gun. He was failing to knock over 12" steel gophers past 12 yards.

He protested only to be laughed off the range.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline SPQR476

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2014, 10:08:05 PM »
I meant a min power factor LIKE the one in wild bunch, as in closer to it.  I ain't saying it makes sense for the sport overall, and I like it just fine the way it is, but if you said "Liptak, what would you want CAS be to make you happiest in a selfish and not necessarily sensible way?" Then I would say have a 110 power factor to keep things aligned with historical minimums like the .38 colt, but still allow just about any caliber to compete on a somewhat level playing field, recoil-wise.  There are other considerations besides my "wants" and like I said, I like it just fine the way it is.

Yes, I know, the winners will still win.  Personally, I like .45s and .44WCFs, but from 25 years of other competitive endeavors, I know I can shoot a 9mm at 130PF measurably faster than a .45 at 170PF, and I'm entirely willing to shoot .38s to give myself every opportunity to shoot to whatever my abilities can produce on the timer, at least for a spell to see what I can do.  I've beat a lot of guys shooting lighter calibers and more expensive guns in other games, so I'm not under any illusion that I'm going to smoke Spencer just 'cause I bought a set of .38s.

I just, personally and selfishly, would rather shoot .45s and .44s, but only if I'm not handicapping myself.  That's why it's really moot...I'm certainly not arguing that SASS should change at all, and I probably shouldn't have said anything. 
Sam "The Bishop" Parker
SASS 97652

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2014, 10:04:37 AM »
You have handled the communications with aplomb. I really enjoy a "conversation" when all sides are respectful but fortright. I appreciate your ponts regarding the game.
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2014, 09:16:30 PM »
Red Cent
Were you at Mule Camp in 97 . I was in the Posse that Marshal Harlan Wolf shot in . We had a lot of fun . I also remember a character by the name of Doc Tetons ???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com