Author Topic: *** "FIX" Diagram Added *** 20 Pound Trigger Pull Solved  (Read 5901 times)

Offline KEN S

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
*** "FIX" Diagram Added *** 20 Pound Trigger Pull Solved
« on: December 31, 2013, 09:42:53 AM »
ok, I solved the problem with the stabler cutoff by adding a shim under the block and it works great.  does not over ride the cutoff as before. and now can  be used a single shot.

NOW.  my original 1865 carbine has, had a trigger pull of 20 pounds or more...yup...tough pull.
   problem solved.  
     1. take off the mainspring,  use small clamp or mainspring vise, clamp works great.( put at full cock, tighten clamp ahead of the screw, and then take it  off full cock. mainspring will just about fall out.)  slow and easy works best.
     2. the sear spring section is too strong. DON'T TOUCH THE SPRING.  put a shim around the spring screw.  I got a section of aluminum  tubing at hardware store, brass would work too, and cut about 1/4 inch off the end.  then tapped it over the screw.  no need to take off the screw.  put the lock on the bench and tap lightly.  the tubing is very thin and a little goes a long way here.
   THIS MAKES THE SEAR SPRING END  RAISE UP JUST A LITTLE AND LIGHTEN IT'S PUSH ON THE SEAR.  I went from 20 pounds to 4 pounds doing this. AND IT TOOK ABOUT TEN MINUTES.
   no alteration of the original parts, works fine, and can be removed in a heartbeat if you wish..

my kids say. 'Daddy can fix anything'.   at least the simple stuff.  
    groups should be better with this softer trigger pull.
  Happy New Year.....  Ken

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: 20 pound trigger pull solved
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 11:58:15 AM »
Ken S,

Any chance you could add a photo or two to describe better what you did and where?  Or send the photos to me at fsgrand2@fairpoint.net and I will post them for you.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline KEN S

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 03:21:30 PM »
Hey two flints....I don't want to pull the lock any more than necessary, so no photo for now.
  but, this will work on any Spencer, New or Antique
     I'm just fitting a round cover to the screw that holds the lower portion of the mainspring in place.  this lifts the spring away from the screw and lightens the trigger pull. The gun strill Snaps shut in the sear notch so no problem with safety.
    NOW<  if someone built a screw, with a larger head, one that could be filed down to fit>>>>
    OR....how about an eccentric screw head.  one that is not round but can lift a little with a turn of the screw.  can be held in place with a little blue locktite.....   you could adjust the trigger pull up or down with a slight turn of the screw.   
    Why didn't Springfield think of this in '85.   I'm not THAT smart!
 a ten cent trigger pull adjuster, that won't touch the original screw, and can be put back any time....
   oh. well....next problem..

Ken

Advertising

Re: *** "FIX" Diagram Added *** 20 Pound Trigger Pull Solved
« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:49:33 PM »

Offline Two Flints

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 03:31:24 PM »
How about, maybe a hand drawn diagram . .  . ???  ???  ???

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 04:44:38 PM »
I actually lightened the trigger pull on my Spencer, but I ground down the bottom lever on the spring. Went from 20 pounds to 3 pounds. With no push-off.

(Diagram by rbertalotto & Posted by Two Flints)

Looking at that screw you are talking about, it would be quite simple to machine a small block with a set screw that could make the trigger pull easily adjustable.

The block would mount to the existing screw hole and a set screw would bear on the trigger part of the "V" spring. Turning the set screw to apply more pressure on the spring would lighten trigger pull. And the rifle could easily be put back to original configuration.

When I get a chance I'm going to make one.

Stay tuned!
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline KEN S

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 01:33:47 PM »
Hey two flints...I took a picture of the adjustment of the head of the screw to lighten the trigger pull on my 65 original spencer. I made a steel screw cover, tight fit.   tapped it over the screw head after removing the spring....20 pounds to 4 pounds, crisp. and the original lock screw is untouched....

(Photo Added by Two Flints)

More detail on my "fix" - any piece of small steel pipe would work.  I happened to have an old center cylinder bushing from a Colt SAA repair I did years ago, and with a round file and five minutes it fit.  I cut off about 1/8 of an inch and opened it up just a little to fit the screw ... then with the mainspring off, and the screw in the plate.  I tapped the cover on to the screw.  

At first it was too light a trigger pull, but by putting the screw in a drill, and sanding it while it rotated in the drill head, I took off just a little, and this made it perfectly round too.

I put it back on, making sure the mainspring notch behind the screw was behind the screw then tightened everything down.  It takes longer to write about than actually do.  very easy, no special tools needed.

The pull is now set at 4 or 5 pounds, and permanent.  I tried a piece of aluminum  but it was not strong enough . . .  and the best part is I didn’t touch the spring.  

Hope this helps.

Ken

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 02:08:46 PM »
Ken S,

That is actually a very workable idea.
I had never thought about a collet that would encompass the whole head of the Mainspring/sear spring retaining screw.
Thanks! Good idea.
My best,
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline KEN S

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 03:16:06 PM »
Took it to the range today.   no problem at all.  4 to 5 pound trigger pull. much easier.
    the steel   Collete was  press fit,   read....(hit it with a hammer)
  over the screw and is tight,  The wood of the stock, which had to be opened just a little, holds it in place.  No touching the original at all.  that's the part I like...

38 grains GOEX 2F, one hard card, two newspaper wads,  515 sized 350, and 1.56 OCL.   tight crimp. in first groove of Lyman bullet. (the two newspaper wads prevent the card from sticking to the bullet.  Happened today when I forgot to put them in.  found the hard card  25 yards downrange.  accuracy suffered..5 shots in a center group at 50, and two outside.. the two light newspaper wads just separate at the muzzle every time and drop the heavy card.

feeds great, accurate, fun....
       large pistol mag primers, going to try large regular pistol primers.  I think they are the more accurate.

I found if I hold tight to the shoulder, it's more accurate.  heavy hammer blow has to be tamed...
     good shooting...Ken

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 12:01:56 PM »
Thanks for this info!  I just finished fitting a bushing on the mainspring screw for my Taylor's carbine.  It worked a miracle on the trigger pull! 
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline Two Flints

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 05:16:01 PM »
This thread has been added to the SORI Thread, using the same subject heading.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk