Author Topic: Short mag 73  (Read 6098 times)

Offline Judge Roy Bean

• Judge Roy Bean (U.K)
  • Top Active Citizen
    • www.laredo.org.uk
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Short mag 73
« on: December 29, 2013, 03:38:38 PM »
Did Uberti make 73 half mag round barrel model like in Hombre & Rio Concho . I'm sure I saw one a Dixie catuloge  10 years or more ago.And if they did has any body seen one.
Texas & Miss Lilly.
  shoot"em"first hang "em" later.

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: Short mag 73
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 05:02:09 PM »
I am under the impression that Uberti has made short mag '73's (extending a few inches past the forearm) like this one:
http://www.impactguns.com/uberti-1873-special-sporting-rifle-4440-24-14in-342750-037084427508.aspx
 but not button mags.  But I could be wrong.  I recently saw an older button-mag Uberti belonging to Mike Harvey of Cimarron, and he said he had asked Uberti to make one some years back but they didn't know how to secure the mag to the barrel so he had a gunsmith do it.  Possibly Uberti figured out how to do it after that.  I also have a vague recollection of having seen a picture of a button mag Uberti with a half-round barrel in the past, maybe on Taylor's website, but the ol' memory ain't what it used to be  :)

Offline MJN77

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 05:28:38 PM »

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:51:38 PM »

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 02:05:55 PM »
Judge

I have a uberti catalogue with a half oct half round 73, it is in the special sporting rifle section. The catalogue is not dated.
I would guess any special will have to be ordered and waited for.

I  have a 73 uberti early  production which was a 38 but has been lined to 25. The mag is a button mag. The gun is going to be rebarred to 32wsf this year.
Buffalochip

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 02:40:58 PM »
Judge,

There were and are several variations of "short" magazines tubes.
The button type which is right around the end of the fore stock and a 3/4 length mag tube.
These were usually done on #1 heavy Oct. barrels that were turned round forward of the fore arms to help lighten them up.
If you are wanting to use the lever rifle in SASS competition, I would suggest the 3/4 length tube (basically a carbine length Mag tube) This will give you a 9 to 10 round Mag capacity. Depending on how you have it set up.
The button length tube will only offer you a 6 to 7 round capacity in your leaver gun.
My best,
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 01:13:04 AM »
I have a short mag tube Uberti '73 that I bought 25+ years ago.  Holds 7rds of .45 Colt or 10 rds of C45S (used with a modified lifter) in the mag.  Mag ends an inch in front of the forearm.  Screw through the mag tube end piece and into the barrel holds the mag tube in place.  Heavy, tapered, round 22" barrel.

Sweet balance on this one and exceptionally accurate.  Shot SASS/CAS with if for years.  Then took a break and came back to all 10 round (or more) rifle stages.  C45S brass an the new lifter made it useful there again in original form.
"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

Offline frimath

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 06:16:36 PM »
This sounds like a really sweet rifle, got any photos?? I've been chasing this configuration for years in both a '73 and ' 76 model.  Would love to see what it looks like. Thanks Johnny F

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 07:41:21 PM »
Recently picked up a 20" full mag tube '76 which has quickly become a favorite.

Be fun to rebuild a '76 in like manner as my '73.
Pistol grip versions of my rifle with e hexagon barrel seem pretty common these days
But we all know "Hombre" used  a round barrel '73 right ;-)

My screw cap and barrel stud is good.  As well the slotted cut in the barrel for the cap.  Button mag was by far the most secure as the forend cap captures the tube end piece.

Offline frimath

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 10:57:08 AM »
" Hombre" was the first time I saw one of these. I think that  Richard Boone may have even had one in Rio Conchos wit Stuart Whitman and tony francioso .  Yours is a round barrel? I can't really tell ( hint post more photos!) it looks very nice. I can't tell if it's a plated receiver and side plate or some combination of both.  Nice composition in the photo though the rifle isn't really being shown to its best presentation . Thanks for the posting . Johnny F

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 01:53:30 PM »
On occasion I use to slip in a long mag tube for ten rounds of 45 Colt prior to fitting the 45 Special lifter.

In the old days of SASS 7 was enough generally.

Barrel was a Shilen .45 match pistol blank.    We cut and turned it to, 23", medium heavy, tapered, recessed crown.   Just barely fits into the forearm cap.  Receiver, side  plates, crescent butt plate, forearm tip are nickel.  Side plates are engraved.  Sights are set far back and far forward to maximize sight radius.    My pards call it the "sniper '73"   Swings better than a 20" short rifle.  Just a bit lighter.  But better balance IMO.  Shoots better and easier to hit with than a 24."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com