Author Topic: SASS gunsmiths familiar with the 1872 open top revolver in .38 cal  (Read 5639 times)

Offline Teej

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Finally got the Uberti 1872 open top revolver replica.  I'm looking for gunsmiths who tune up this exact gun.    So far it shoots a little high and the ejection rod is difficult to operate.  Maybe I just have to get used to it though.

If you know anyone who is reliable, please let me know who they are and how to contact them.

thanks,

teej ??? ???

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: SASS gunsmiths familiar with the 1872 open top revolver in .38 cal
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 10:48:56 PM »
No one has responded, so I will.  1872 Open Tops are very scarce when compared to the other guns used in CAS.  Thus, there are few, if any, gunsmiths that specialize in tuning this "exact gun."  The action is the same as a SAA and those are tuned by dozens of good smiths.  Any good SAA tuner should be able to tune the action.  What also needs to be done, however, is to properly fit the barrel to the arbor otherwise that tuning job won't do much good.  You can look here and fix the arbor yourself.  You can also do a pretty good tuneup yourself.  It ain't rocket science.

http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=7988.0

Offline Lucky R. K.

• Purveyor of Fire & Brimstone
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 10:38:41 AM »
You might check out The Ottway Smith, AKA Ron Snover. He has the reputation in the our  part of the country as the man to go to for the open tops.  He has also designed and makes his own short stroke kits for the '66 and '73 rifles.

His business is called IXL Enterprises. He has been talking about retiring.

Lucky
Greene County Regulators       Life NRA             SCORRS
High Country Cowboys            SASS #79366
Gunpowder Creek Regulators   Dirty RATS #568

The Wind is Your Friend

Advertising

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 02:13:39 PM »
Hey, did you ever get anyone to do this?  I just had a couple conversions fixed up by a feller who has done lots of OTs and he does a very fine job.
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com