Author Topic: Uberti 1 of 1,000  (Read 4483 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Uberti 1 of 1,000
« on: December 16, 2013, 01:25:36 PM »
Picked up my 1 of 1,000 yesterday after some tuning, polishing and lightening of the stock springs. Very slick! I may brave the cold today (-10C) and take it to the range.

I must be a Luddite, but I still think I'd be happier with a Plain Jane '73 carbine. First time I ding the 1 of 1,000 I'll be in tears.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Uberti 1 of 1,000
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 01:52:29 PM »
Watch the Movie, "Winchester 73". Then go out and shoot the piece with Pride. A little patina and ding gives the piece character. ;)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 06:31:52 PM »
Just got back from the range with the '73 .....

Off hand at 25 yds it put 10 rds into 3-1/2" rapid fire. On the 12" 100m gong I got 10 for ten off hand. That'll do, Pilgrim .....

Handsome is as handsome does. A pretty rifle that doesn't shoot is called a club.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:40:24 PM »

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 09:38:57 AM »
A good friend of mine owns the original Winchester model 1873 1 of 1000 that belonged to Montana pioneer Granville Stuart.  Several years ago, we took the rifle out in his back yard and shot at a 6" square piece of pine.  Pulling the trigger on that rifle was the thrill of a life time.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 10:11:24 AM »
I can believe that. They have that cachet about them.

In the Madis book (and others) I've read that in the era, Winchester employees pooh-poohed the idea of '1 of 1,000 barrels' being 'select' barrels, saying that ALL Winchester barrels were good. Then as now, manufacturers knew how to hype their products.

Sam Colt did similar PR things, presenting cased revolvers to celebrities and publishing praising testimonials from happy users.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 05:59:14 PM »
Not to hijack this thread, but what ever happened with the proposed Montana State rifle, Buck?

EDIT:  I found the answer: it was rejected.  That's too bad.  For those who don't know, Buck pushed the idea of Montana adopting the 1873 as the official state firearm.

http://missoulian.com/news/state-and-regional/montana-legislature/montana-house-rejects-bill-to-name-winchester-model-state-rifle/article_b4a6da42-6ffc-11e2-a66f-001a4bcf887a.html

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 06:40:10 PM »
Well, I'll try to answer your question as best I can.  We were hi-jacked by the Montana Native American Coalition.  At first they were on board, but when it came down to speaking before the Montana State Legislative body, they broke down in tears, clamming that the model 1873 Winchester had played an important part in the demise of the Indian Nations, not only in Montana, but throughout the American West.   I truly believe that they think that U.S. Government troops were armed with Winchesters.  This is of course, is not at all accurate.  As most of us know, Winchester never had a government contract until WW2, with the M1 Garand.   Only a few Winchester made firearms ever saw use with the U.S. Government during the Indian War period.  One in particular being the Winchester Hotchkiss rifle.  I'm not sure where to go from here, but I can assure you more preparation is necessary, before the next go around.  I want it perfectly understood, that from the get-go, I have no favor toward our government, regarding the treatment of our American Indian.  However, NONE OF US HERE TODAY committed any of these atrocities and whether we like it or not, the Model 1873 Winchester played a VERY important part in our history as both a State and a Territory.  Good or bad, this will never change and it is a part of our history.  We hope to take this before the legislative body again in 2014.  Wish us luck.

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 11:26:50 PM »
Good luck, Buck.  The '73 is a good rifle.

PJ, leave some fun in this world for the rest of us!  Don't use it all up.

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 09:48:04 AM »
To keep this thread on track, I have to comment on Buck's chance to shoot Granville Stuart's rifle.  I would drive a long way to look at that rifle.  To be able to hold it would be stunning.  To be able to shoot it would be, as you said, a thrill of a lifetime.  I've seen Buck's collection and held a couple of his rifles.  My son and I still talk about that experience.  Going to Cody and being only a foot away from historic guns gave me goose bumps.  I can't even imagine shooting a rifle with historic significance like that.  The closest I might come would be shooting an Uberti 1 of 1000 like the one that started this thread.  I hope you took pictures to commemorate the event, Buck.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 11:00:09 AM »
I gotta tell ya guys, my '1 of 1,000' is just another Uberti '73 in party clothes. Before I had it tuned a little, it was actually quite rough.

The engraving is well executed and a faithful copy from what I see in the Madis book on page 195. Accuracy wise, it is no better or worse that my Uberti Henry or '66 carbine. I up the ladder sight on the Henry and hit the 200m gong offhand. The rear sight on the '73 doesn't go up high enough.

I do know what you mean about being near classic, iconic firearms. If you ever get the chance, do go to Fort Whoop Up and Fort McLeod in southern Alberta. Both have good selections of unique and historic firearms.

Fort McLeod has two original NWMP issue '76 carbines and a Colt '51 Navy conversion .38 that belonged to McLeod.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com