Author Topic: Practical CAS and long barreled revolvers  (Read 8512 times)

Offline Octagonal Barrel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Practical CAS and long barreled revolvers
« on: December 11, 2013, 12:02:16 AM »
Aesthetically, I love long barreled revlolvers.  The '51 Colt in 7 1/2", the '60 and especially the '61, the 8" '58 Remmie.  The 7 1/2" Cot SAA.  In my opinion, even the Ruger Blackhawk's lines are best in 6 1/2" or 7 1/2".  (I'm sure there's plenty of personal opinion in that.)  But when it comes to pulling them from strong side leather (to keep out of trouble with the RO), I start to really like 5 1/2" barrels.

It would be great if I could have both worlds, the aesthetics of a long barrel and the practicality of a fast-drawing gun.

Another older thread showed that among survey respondents, the 5 1/2" barrel is most common among members of this forum.  But 7 1/2" or 8" guns weighed in next most common.  So a lot of people here must have practical experience pulling long barrels from leather.

For those of you who use longer barreled revolvers at CAS matches, how do you do it?  What sort of holster and belt do you use (waist level vs buscadero, etc.), do you go with strong side or cross-draw, is where you position the holster on the belt your "magic"?  Is it draw technique?  Or do you just plain sacrifice speed for historical accuracy or aesthetics in order to shoot your long barrels?  Do you just make fun a higher priority than speed?

I might have a little money soon, and just might have a chance at one or two of several beautiful long barreled CAS revolvers.  I am tempted.  Just wondering how to make 'em practical in this game we all play...

Drew
Drew Early, SASS #98534

Offline Octagonal Barrel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Practical CAS and long barreled revolvers
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 12:08:59 AM »
Not to reply to my own thread or anything, but maybe you could add why you chose long barrels in the first place?  Lookin' forward to your answers.
Drew Early, SASS #98534

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 12:10:10 AM »
I sort of like them too ;D

Bunch a ole scudders!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:07:25 PM »

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 01:23:51 PM »
OB,

My personnel preference is a long barrel in a revolver. (rifle and shotguns too)
It is more accurate at distance and helps reduce the buck of recoil in nearly full house loads of BP. (Nearly full house loads depends on if I am shooting an original firearm) My favorite load is .45 Colt, 31 grs of 3f BP, with a 250 gr bullet.
My best,
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1211
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 02:12:10 PM »
I have both long and short and like them both (variety is the spice...) but the long barrels look more authentic IMO.  They also have a longer sight radius which can help at the clubs I shoot at which are not "huge and close targets" like some.  I often shoot gunfighter and usually use 5 1/2" conversions for this.  When I shoot the 7 1/2" guns I usually wear them butt-forward which precludes shooting GF due to the rules.  When wearing butt-forward I draw one pistol as crossdraw and the strong side with a cavalry twist, and use a 2-handed technique to reholster.  It is easy and safe but not the fastest way to go.  Pictures here:
http://www.davidscottharper.com/shoot/CavTwist.htm

I am high-waisted (long arms and legs, short torso), so whether butt-forward or normal butt-rear my draw brings my elbow way up in the air so I have to warn the timer operator ahead of time as I have several times knocked the timer out of their hand with my elbow when drawing  :)

If you want to be fast with the longer barrels most folks will need to have low-riding holsters, such as buscadero or standard holsters designed to ride lower from the belt, and/or wearing the belt low on the hips.  Some of this depends on your body type.  You can also wear twin crossed belts like Curly Bill but may need leg tie-downs to hold the holster down when drawing.

Lassiter uses 7 1/2" .45's and a buscadero rig and has been the National and World Champ Gunfighter numerous times.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 02:43:02 PM »
I currently use El Paso Saddlery #44 outfit with my 7.5 inchers, it is a pretty good pull for a reasonably short guy.  At SASS convention was talking to Ed Mernickle about an Army looking rig from the 1880s.  He said he can drop the top of the holster from the top of the belt down about 2 inches which will still keep part of the grips above belt (legal for Classic Cowboy if I ever get a 73) notch the front of the holster a bit and essentially have a 7.5 inch draw like a 5.5 inch gun
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 07:49:49 PM »
When out around the foothills i carry my Ruger 10 1/2 inch 44,i almost stepped on a small rattler once when i brother in law brought it to my attention,DRAW BANG! Blew his head right off,of course them snake loads helped alot and i am short and short legged wasn't much air between the barrel and snake ;D
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 09:32:21 PM »
If you want to compete with the likes of Lead Dispenser and Evil Roy to win the big matches, you'll want shorter barreled revolvers.  Otherwise go with what spins your crank.  I use 7 1/2" SAAs in a double reverse draw rig.  They ride high but the reverse draw clears easier than a regular straight draw.  For me the longer barrels make it easier to hit and I'm not particularly in a hurry.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 12:19:10 AM »
Lassiter does just fine with his 7.5 inchers but then he is over 6ft
Bob Mernicle explained a rig to me that lets one draw 7.5 inchers like 5.5 inchers, may have to get one
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 04:03:03 AM »
I agree my 8" Richards is my Favorite , left front cross draw ,
 I stand at Right angle to the target, as I draw I step into the face position
 like in one motion.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Wolfgang

• Top Active Citizen
    • The Desperate Hot Springs News
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 12:01:40 PM »
Long barrels becuz they  is   . . .   Hysterically Coo-rect . . . . that is WHY . . .  :)

. . . the length of the barrel was based on what would be most powerful and accurate . . . they were designed that way. 
Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 09:11:15 AM »
I use a pair of ROA's with 7.5" barrels and all I do is shove my belt down onto my hips,,,leaves plenty of room for a reasonable draw, the second pistol is crossdraw.
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Paladin UK

• UK`s 1st Warthog
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Have Gun.. "Might Travel"
    • White Knight Ranch... Homestead of Paladin UK
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2013, 01:25:19 PM »
Ho Pards

For a while I used 18in Buntlines in earnest, mainly because it was the only way I could shoot a cartridge CAS handgun, but they were far too slow to manhandle.
I shoot 1860`s with my shotgun primer conversion now and I`m a happy Paladin!!

Paladin (What luvs his 1860`s  ;D ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
 MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2013, 01:50:48 PM »
Have GunGunGunGunGunGunGunGun will travel :o
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2013, 08:51:45 PM »
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

Offline Octagonal Barrel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2013, 02:50:54 AM »
Ho Pards

For a while I used 18in Buntlines in earnest, mainly because it was the only way I could shoot a cartridge CAS handgun, but they were far too slow to manhandle.
I shoot 1860`s with my shotgun primer conversion now and I`m a happy Paladin!!

Paladin (What luvs his 1860`s  ;D ) UK
And here I thought 7 1/2" or 8" was a long barrel...  But I love the photo of you and your ...your ...what do you call that leather on your hip, a holster or a scabbard?
Drew Early, SASS #98534

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 10:50:44 PM »
I'm so slow and don't practice so the time factor doesn't matter anyway and besides, I just like the longer barrels. I actually shoot mismatch guns, a 5 1/2 on the strong side and a 7 1/2 as a crossdraw. Gives me a variation to play with and I figure historically if someone had two pistols they likely wouldn't have been a matched pair so I guess I toss speed out for historical accuracy.

Plus I shoot NCOWS mostly and at our local club the targets are far enough that I feel like the sight picture of the 7 1/2 is more advantage than any time lost drawing or holstering. One miss is ten second penalty and that is a long time considering we're probably only talking fractions of seconds in the time difference to draw a long barrel versus short barrel.

In the NCOWS matches I've won, I'm seldom the fastest, accuracy was the winner. The SASS guys that come shoot with us are usually always the fastest by far but speed and those little short barrels don't fair as well with those little four or six inch targets at 15 or 20 yards.

It really all matters on how you want to play the game. Honestly winning means nothing to me if I'm not having fun shooting. I've been in competitive sports in the past and had my fill of that, this is my retirement sport ;D
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com