Author Topic: Family picnic cancelled  (Read 7660 times)

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Family picnic cancelled
« on: December 06, 2013, 09:15:03 AM »
We decided to cancel the family picnic in the park today, as the current wind chill is -43F. :(
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Family picnic cancelled
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 11:28:58 AM »
A balmy -30C here today, but bright and sunny with no wind.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 02:55:44 PM »
A balmy -30C here today, but bright and sunny with no wind.
It's a bone-chillin' -15C with windchill here and it is cold!  I know I live in Canada's banana belt but of all the places I have frequented in the world, when it gets cold here it goes through you to the bone.

Mind you, I wouldn't live anywhere else. 8) 8)
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:54:02 AM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 04:07:57 PM »
It warmed up to -16C, but now there's a breeze. Feels much colder than it was this am.

When I lived and worked on the left coast, I'd come home from a day's work and stand in the shower for 20 minutes to get my body core temp back up.
That resulted from being in the rain day in, day out, wearing soggy rain suits. The dry cold is better. At least it just wants to kill you, not make you wish you were dead.

I tried to burn some wood piles yesterday and didn't succeed. The wood was wet when I piled it and now it's frozen. Too hard to ignite. Gasoline just burns off and barely scorches it.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Truly Grits

• Very Active Citizen
  • THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 06:29:24 PM »
Awwww! I was so looking forward to playing frizzbee. But it's a dry cold! Good day to reload.

Cheers!
A wise person once said ...
There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it.
You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good.
So love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't.
Life is too short to be anything but happy.
Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living. Cheers!

Offline Icebox Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 08:10:54 PM »
-27 and dropping to -31 by morning; with wind chill that will be -41. Clear and bright on the snow.

The wood stove is roaring and the scotch bottle is calling.   8)
Well.... see, if you take your time, you get a more harmonious outcome.

Offline Pay Dirt Norvelle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 10:33:25 PM »
It got cold here last night in California all of 28° F.    :o   ;D
PAY DIRT NORVELLE
SASS #90056
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
COYOTE VALLEY COWBOYS #37
RATS #650

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 11:01:10 AM »
Another bright, windless day of -30C. Several days of this a few years back would have killed odd the Pine Beetle infestation that ravaged our forests and is now headed for Alberta.

Today is our community Christmas 'art auction' and pot luck supper. Along with the pie sale and Strawberry Tea, it's a major fund raiser for the hall. We'll be building the fire early and keeping it going throughout the day.

You might remember this line from "GI Jane":

"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop frozen from a bough
Without ever having felt sorry for itself."   D.H. Lawrence

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 01:22:07 PM »
It warmed up to -16C, but now there's a breeze. Feels much colder than it was this am.

When I lived and worked on the left coast, I'd come home from a day's work and stand in the shower for 20 minutes to get my body core temp back up.
That resulted from being in the rain day in, day out, wearing soggy rain suits. The dry cold is better. At least it just wants to kill you, not make you wish you were dead.

I tried to burn some wood piles yesterday and didn't succeed. The wood was wet when I piled it and now it's frozen. Too hard to ignite. Gasoline just burns off and barely scorches it.

Reminds me of when I went through CFOCS at CFB Chilliwack during the Sept to Christmas period.  Soaked each every time from the time we left on exercise in the mountains, until we came back x number of days later.  Ah, the good old days, gone forever.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 03:14:45 PM »
Naw, you can go out and get hypothermic and frost bitten any day of the week. Any fool can do it! Just ask me .....

I served two years in Churchill and I was soooo very grateful not to have ever been called upon to fight a war under those conditions.
Hell is not hot - it's cold.
We were told that at best we were 40% efficient as a fighting force, 60% of our energy and resources used up for survival. Once bullets flew and casualties occurred, that dropped exponentially.

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 02:36:28 PM »
Yep ..... mighty cold even here in true "Chinook Country" .... well into the minus 30's, with wind chills well into the minus 40's .....

Todd:  as for Hell being cold ..... I trust you have heard the joke about the two Canadians who show up there, and when the Devil can't get it hot enough to make them uncomfortable (because they are used to torrid, humid summer high temperatures) he unsuccessfully tries making it colder and colder, until Hell finally freezes completely over ...... upon which he is flabbergasted to see them dancing around ecstatically, singing: "The Leafs won the Stanley Cup!"

;D
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 08:56:39 PM »
Snort, guffaw ..... ;>)

Recently my wife's son and daughter-in-law chartered a bus for a group of fellow artists from the Rosebud Theatrical School to attend a concert in Calgary. On the way home, they got caught in that prairie blizzard that paralyzed southern Alberta.

The road was blocked by a jackknifed semi and other vehicles and they were stranded on the bus for 19 hours, just one hour from Rosebud. Fortunately, the bus was equipped with a washroom.

Currently we hear that many are suffering the effects of burst pipes and other winter agonies right across the prairies on both side of the DMZ. God help them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com