Author Topic: 1873 Winchester in .44-40?  (Read 56002 times)

Offline JeffinTD

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 1873 Winchester in .44-40?
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2015, 10:53:25 PM »
Thanks for the super helpful reply. I'll skip the flip up and go with a blank.

I was looking at the Marbles standard peep, and the improved peep. It looked like the difference was interchangeable posts on the improved version for long range, which I don't see needing. Which one would you suggest, and why?

I'll have to get some photos of the gun. I also really hope to come up with a cast bullet load that gives decent accuracy.

Offline JeffinTD

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2015, 12:52:57 AM »
Another question. I see marble part 009809 listed for 1873 Winchester, but on some vender pages it says does not fit the new Winchester brand 1873.

It looks like 009832 might be the correct sight?   Not sure what screw kit either.

Marble's page doesn't seem to reference Miroku built rifles.

Anyway I'd appreciate a suggestion for a vendor or link to the correct sight, screws and dove tail blank if anyone has that.

Offline stuck_in_73

• -Jeff
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2015, 12:50:48 PM »
Another question. I see marble part 009809 listed for 1873 Winchester, but on some vender pages it says does not fit the new Winchester brand 1873.

It looks like 009832 might be the correct sight?   Not sure what screw kit either.

Marble's page doesn't seem to reference Miroku built rifles.

Anyway I'd appreciate a suggestion for a vendor or link to the correct sight, screws and dove tail blank if anyone has that.

I will save you a lot of time and confusion. This thanks to Canon Jockey as I went through the same thing. I'd order all of it through Brownells.com as they are cheaper than midway. However, I did order my Williams slot blank though midway. I liked the Williams slot blank cause it's not flashy and has an Allen wrench for adjustment so no hammering. It will fit a 3/8" dovetail which yours is.

Here is the link to midway.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/349947/williams-slot-blank-for-3-8-dovetails-aluminum-black

In the receipt on the Brownells pic disregard the SPORTING REAR NO. 95. I sent that back. You will need the PEEP SIGHT SCREW SET.  It will include the two tang screws need to mount your base. It will also come with a long screw (throw that aside, you won't need it). I chose the standard post as I think will work well for the range I'll shoot but if you choose to mount the mid-long range or long range post the numbers are 990120 & 990130.
“Fiery men are soon put out.”

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 11:11:33 AM »

Offline JeffinTD

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2015, 01:13:43 PM »
Thank you very much.

I might wait a bit. I think I mentioned earlier I've been getting horrible accuracy especially with cast bullets and am thinking the gun might go back to Winchester.

A fella posted a link on a thead I started about trying to find an accurate load for cast bullets.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,52729.0.html

I'm starting to think I have a similar issue, as mine gives larger groups than what this guy was getting.

Offline stuck_in_73

• -Jeff
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2015, 06:57:52 PM »
Thank you very much.

I might wait a bit. I think I mentioned earlier I've been getting horrible accuracy especially with cast bullets and am thinking the gun might go back to Winchester.

A fella posted a link on a thead I started about trying to find an accurate load for cast bullets.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,52729.0.html

I'm starting to think I have a similar issue, as mine gives larger groups than what this guy was getting.

That's no good. Best of luck figuring it all out. In the meantime check out this clip. Sorry, I just recently watched this and thought of it when you mentioned rifle accuracy  8)

Offline JeffinTD

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2015, 07:28:49 PM »

That was great!

Yeah I talked to Winchester today and they sent a shipping label and offered to have a look.

I may try a couple more loads before sending it in. I've had a bore scope down it (as far as it will reach) and did see 3 pits in a row, but I've seen worse bores shoot moa.

Anyway, I wouldn't want to be on the LA police marksmanship demo team if someone were shooting this rifle.

Offline JeffinTD

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2015, 11:05:43 PM »
Here's the gun

I went out shooting yesterday with friend (Dead eye Lefty) who was kind enough to give me an introduction and some coaching for cowboy action shooting and fast draw.  He had some 125 grain Tightgroup loads, and I fired a string in my rifle.  They seemed to shoot pretty good.  My 158 RNFP Trailboss loads in his 66 shot poorly...

Low and behold when I got home some 125 truncated cone Rimrock bullets I had ordered showed up.  I decided to load a few with the same Trail Boss load in the same brass (357 Remington) as a comparison.

Massively more accurate than the flat point round nose.  I was really shocked.  The one flier on the right target I believe was me.  Just shooting off a field rest.

Anyhoo, I don't think I'll be needing to return the rifle to Winchester, and I went ahead and ordered the sight, screws, blank, and a spring for my Stoeger coach gun.  It will be interesting to fire the rifle from a proper bench with that load.  I guess my gun just doesn't like 158 RNFP or 158 SWC.  At all.

Thanks again for all the great info and replies.

Offline stuck_in_73

• -Jeff
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2015, 02:47:38 PM »
Nice rifle!! Great to hear you won't be sending it back to Winchester. The wood is very nice. I will keep 125 grain in mind. I haven't bought any ammo for mine yet. I have a gun show to attend tomorrow in Springfield, MO. I may check out some ammo there.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2015, 03:07:22 PM »
Must be bad tooling or something. Miroku generally builds top notch guns.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline JeffinTD

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2015, 04:39:19 PM »
Yeah it's a really nicely made gun, and I really couldn't understand why I couldn't find anything that would shoot accurately out of it.

I'd tried a range of Trail Boss and those 158rnfp, Universal, 2400, and Blue Dot. 357 and 38 brass. Oregon trail and Greimer 158 swc loads with Bullseye. Most wouldn't hold 4" at 25 yards.

I've had guns that shot a particular weight bulliet, or even a particular bullet with better accuracy, but never such an extreme example.

I guess I'll be ordering a few thousand of those 125 tc bullets. Can't find more trail boss so I may see how they shoot with universal clays.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2016, 05:56:13 PM »
Are you shooting hard cast bullets, if so you may find softer bullets like desparado bullets from cowboybullets.com work better.
Just a thought, worth about as much as you paid for the advice.  My rifle seems to like them enough to hold 4 inches at 100, which with a short barrel and 65 year old eyes is not too shabby for a first attempt at finding a good load.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline JeffinTD

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2016, 06:09:58 PM »
I've only shot hard cast out of it, from several brands, plus I played with some jacketed hollow points.

I might have to try some soft bullets.

Anyway, it seems to like those lighter truncated cone bullets fairly well, and I'm ok with their accuracy.

Have a Dillon 1050 set up for that load, but I never seem to have time to go shoot (plus there isn't a decent range close by anymore).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com