Author Topic: Who makes the best '66?  (Read 6629 times)

1stSgt Fritz King

Who makes the best '66?
« on: October 15, 2005, 08:08:09 PM »
Hello the fire!
Pards, I've got a little under two years til I retire from the Corps.  I want to get a '66 Winchester as a retirement gift, and have it engraved with the EGA, and my dates of service.  Who makes the best one?  Reliability is the key factor.  I want one in .38 Special or .38.357, if they make one.  Any comments would be appreciated.
R/S
Fritz   

Offline Wrangler Rich

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Who makes the best '66?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 09:21:06 AM »
Well Pard,

Winchester used to make 'em, but now the only manufacturer is Uberti.  They are imported by many, and some have different markings, wood, finishes, etc.  You can check:  Navy Arms, Cimarron, Taylors, etc., and pick out what you like.

http://www.navyarms.com/

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/

http://www.emf-company.com/

Hiram's Ranger # 10
It's not like it used to be, but it'll do.

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 05:23:47 PM »
Thanks pard.  I've been looking at Cimarron, but I wasn't sure.  Anybody else?  Any good (or bad) experiences with a particular one?  Functionality and reliability are key.
R/S
Fritz

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:18:45 PM »

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 05:42:50 PM »
Mine is a Uberti made, Navy Arms version with 24 inch octagon barrel in 44-40 caliber.  It's real perty!  With Winchester Cowboy loads it does sub 2 inch groups at 50 yards and hits about 3 inches high at that range.

I love my "Yellow Boy"!    8)
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005, 06:19:50 PM »
As stated, they are all made by Uberti now. 

I've had several from Cimarron and with exception of a weak loading gate that sometimes breaks, they have all functioned very well.  Had a .38 SRC but sold it off.  Sometimes I wish I hadn't been so hasty. 

The EGA didn't come in until 1875, if that is important to you.  Before that they used basically the same device as shown on the buttons (but with only a half-circle of six-pointed stars instead of the full-circle of five-pointed stars.  You can see what it looks like here: http://www.usmcmuseum.org/store/mchf/aboutmchf.asp

Semper Fi-

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 08:00:04 PM »
They're mechanically all the same, only difference is cosmetics/markings. Best price price would get my nod as far as which company to get it from............Buck( who thanks you for your service) 8) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2005, 08:23:36 PM »
Thanks for your comments, as well as your compliments.  It's been an honor serving my country.  I'm going to bounce my service dates back 100 years...1887 thru 1907.  So the EGA will be appropriate.
R/S
Fritz

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2005, 08:52:08 PM »
You should find that the model '73s are extremely reliable. You may want to have an action job done on it so the internals won't sustain any unnecessary wear from working the action. All the springs are way too heavy and the parts take a beating from the excessive pressures in a stock gun. This isn't a problem, just about everyone has them slicked up anyway. They really feel great afterwards, too.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2005, 09:13:16 PM »
I'm somewhat familiar with the "action Job" concept.  I used to work for a gunsmith prior to enlisting.  If I understand correctly, the internal parts are stoned so there are no rough edges.  Do the springs need to be shortened somewhat, or is replacement the only option?
R/S
Fritz

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 07:05:59 PM »
I'm not sure who marketed mine, as I bought it used. The only marking is Uberti.You might rember I had some jams at first using black, but after I adjusted the spring tension on the carrier block(not sure if that's the right name), it's been absolutely 100% reliable. I recently saw them at Dixie for $590, but I think it was only 44/40.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com