Author Topic: "Shadow Riders": What a stinkeroo ...  (Read 4386 times)

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
"Shadow Riders": What a stinkeroo ...
« on: December 03, 2013, 12:04:06 PM »
Bought this the other day, being a big fan of Selleck, Elliott and his wife, Kathryn Ross.
All I can say is I hope they were well paid, and have not been forced to watch this sorry piece of dreck.
The plot is all horribly predictable. The prop budget was likely spent on booze and pot for the crew of this mess, which seems to have been shot on the California coast and/or Elliott's ranch in the Willamette Valley of Oregon.
Many of the actors seem to have seen their lines 10 minutes before the shoot; they sure can't be accused of being in character.
After about 40 minutes of discontinuities, pathetic anachronisms (Selleck's pants have belt loops, and the sheriff hands Elliot a pair of Sharps cartridge rifles -- in 1865 -- that weigh about 15 ounces apiece) and utter disreguard for the period (the brother, Jessie, has on plastic-soled harness boots when he cuts himself loose from the Comancheros with somebody's Buck knife), I shut it off and put the disk away. I'm not even sure I can give it to the Salvation Army in good conscience.
Hooo-eee, what a stinker!

Offline Pitchy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: "Shadow Riders": What a stinkeroo ...
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 03:51:05 PM »
It`s a classic Bill, heck of a lot better than the spaghetti westerns Eastwood made for years, your spoiled from watching the better ones from later days.
I just watched it not long ago and agree it lacks in professionalism but the actors are still some of my favorites.  :)
USAF 72-76
DAV member

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 05:47:02 AM »
Everybody is a critic.  Good movie for the times.  I wish Selleck and Elliott would pair up again one last time and make another western.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:20:25 AM »

Offline Gus Walker

• Top Active Citizen
  • The sunny slopes of long ago.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 01:22:23 PM »
 ;D  Me too Deadeye. Those westerns were done when very few westerns were popular.  If i remember correctly The Shadow Riders,The Sacketts, Conagher The Quick and the Dead [ not the Sharon Stone version] were all done by Turner network.The were done for TV.
How many remember Sam Elliot in Wild Times.
Aye its been quite a ride aint it?

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 03:44:27 PM »
I do - just saw wild times for he first time this past summer. It was worth the watch.

Offline Jack Wilson

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 12:09:40 AM »
I must say that Shadow Riders is not the worst one of these "Sackett" movies I've ever seen, but it is pretty mediocre.  Plus, let's just face it, not every Louis L'amoure book is a winner.  This one was probably cranked out over a weekend.

Also, regarding the film itself, it seems that Sam Elliott has never had any luck with casting in his movies, and this one is no different.  The guy who played the Confederate ARmy Colonel (cant recall his name now), is so badly miscast as to be totally unbelievable in this role.  He distracts from the story so much that it becomes boring and almost  unwatchable.  Not only that, but the very important parts of any film, direction and editing, are also mediocre. 

Too bad.  Selleck, Elliott, Ross, plus the great Harry Carey , Jr., Ben Johnson and others in the film did their parts.

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 11:06:40 AM »
I have copies of "Conagher" and "The Quick and the Dead," and can assure you these are far better acted, directed and "propped."
I have been watching Westerns for most of my 60 years, and will stand by my original comments, classic or no.

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 12:02:19 PM »
There's a back story to this movie and it has to do with legal issues of why this was not a "Sackett" movie by name so yes this was a hurry up movie and script in order to fill contractual obligations - while not my favorite it's still better than a lot of other things available....
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com