Author Topic: B/P loads expiry age.  (Read 1654 times)

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
B/P loads expiry age.
« on: November 27, 2013, 07:52:22 AM »
Don't know if there is a definitive answer, but, has anyone any idea how long a cap and ball revolver can be left loaded and still be viable and would it cause any damage to the revolver?
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
Re: B/P loads expiry age.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 09:09:44 AM »
Assuming the gun was clean and unfired when it got loaded, and the lube used to seal the chambers don't leach into the powder charge, and it doesn't get moisture in thru the nipples, the lifespan of those loads should be indefinite. There would be no damage to the gun.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline Peddler Parsons

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 10:20:35 AM »
I got my great grandfathers rifle a few years back and had it hanging on the wall, a friend came over and  asked if I had ever fired
it. I took it down and checked the barrel length and found out it was still loaded, so to be safe I pulled the ball and wad then dumped out the powder, installed a cap and set it off to remove to remove any left over powder (it went puff), It had been loaded for over 70 years or so. It had been keep in the closet at home for many years, The reat of the powder I loaded into a rifle case and it went boom.
I cleaned the old rifle up and at 75 yards it exploded a plastic milk jug

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:02:51 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com