Author Topic: Let's talk barrel lengths/dates...  (Read 15346 times)

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Let's talk barrel lengths/dates...
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2013, 09:25:39 AM »
Having more than one is a good idea.

There are quite a few on Colts alone - delineating every nuance possible, and backing it up with facts and serial numbers.

Same's true of buffalo running and meat hunting for the railroads and the Army - you can fill shelves on just that subject itself.

The history of the Old West has been well-documented, and continues to be - today's works now seem to focus on little-known facets of the era that illuminate greater conclusions, and are the result of a lot of scholarly effort.

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Calico Kirby

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2013, 08:48:39 AM »
Colt SAA barrel lengths - date of the first factory models made in the following lengths:

1873 = 7 1/2"

1875 = 5 1/2' first introduced

1879 = 4 3/4" first introduced

This^^^.

If you can only have one reference book on Colt’s, it should definitely be A Study of the Colt Single Action Army Revolver by Graham, Kopec and Moore.  It’s a bit pricey, but worth every penny!
Always drink upstream from the herd...

Offline Tsalagidave

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2014, 03:32:12 PM »

Hide hunting/buffalo hunting was a backbreaking, stinking, miserable, filthy job - most men who took up that trade didn't last long at it.

Scouts Out!

I think that St. George nailed it here. Numerous accounts depict commercial buffalo hunting as a filthy profession. An individual's clothing would be virtually saturated in blood and gore after a good day's work. I would imagine stinking buckskins and rancid fabric clothing that was literally rotting off the person who wore them to be the norm. Then there's the flies following them around. I know how bad the bugs can get out on the trail even when I rub down my face and neck with pennyroyal. I can't imagine the joy if I was covered in a gallon or two of beef blood. It's a good impression to go after but definitely know what you're in for before punching the ticket on it.

-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 07:32:48 AM »

Offline Willie Dixon

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SSS #245 STORM #362 SCORRS C&BWarthog
    • my Pinterest, specifically cowboy related board
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2014, 05:23:44 PM »
speaking of buffalo hunters,

Billy Dixon's biography book written by his wife, and iterated by him,  "Life and Adventures of Billy Dixon"
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/45075

is quite good at giving a visceral depiction of the adventure, risk, gore, and lucrative money made hunting buffalo.

it's free via gutenberg on Kobo and I'm sure other e-books.  I also have a hard-copy published by the Panhandle Plains Historical Musuem, http://www.panhandleplains.org/pages/home.asp, during my trek to Adobe Walls.

I wish I could share the pictures I found.  Right now I'm having issues transferring them to the PC.  Worst case scenario I can just take pictures of the pictures with my phone.  But that museum is a gold mine for this kind of thing.  I spent a good two days there.  The weapons they have shared there is absolutely stunning.  I can only say I'm honored I was able to help restore and preserve some of their artifacts.
At 25, you need to follow dreams or you'll regret it later. 

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com