Author Topic: Welcome new member, Vernon Dearduff  (Read 3627 times)

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
Welcome new member, Vernon Dearduff
« on: November 15, 2013, 04:42:02 PM »
Here's a welcome to our newest member Vernon Dearduff.

He got his start in CAS back in '96 or '97.  He was one of the founding members of the GLF&MC, the first NCOWS Posse in Indiana.  That Posse was also involved in reenactment and staged gunfights and train robberies.  He was also a member of the SMVS (Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society), another NCOWS Posse. He's also done a bit of Rev War reenacting and some trekking.

-Dae
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
    • Western Author Michael Zimmer
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Welcome new member, Vernon Dearduff
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 05:57:34 PM »
Welcome to the group, Vernon.

Offline Vernon/IN

• Top Active Citizen
  • Hirams Rangers #14
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 10:07:34 PM »
Hello the camp.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

At this time, I'm considering an 1842 (give or take a couple years) persona.  I'm considering either building a new rifle or converting one of my flintlocks, I do not currently own a caplock.

The candidate for conversion is my .50 DGW Tennessee Mountain Rifle.  If I decide to convert this rifle. I'll rework the lock from flint to percussion and add a drum and nipple.  I'll remove the frizzen and frizzen spring, and make an attempt to rework the cock.  If the attempt fails, I'll replace the cock with a percussion hammer.

I'll shoot some photos throughout the conversion and post a description of what I do.

Thanks again for the warm welcome, and watch yer back trail.
Hirams Rangers #14
NCOWS # 527
The American Plainsman Society
AZSA #83L
NRA
NMLRA
WartHog
Soot Lord
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:53:12 AM »

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
    • Western Author Michael Zimmer
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 03:16:10 PM »
A converted flintlock would certainly fit the period. I'll look forward to seeing the photos. Do you have a certain character/career you're wanting to portray?

Offline Vernon/IN

• Top Active Citizen
  • Hirams Rangers #14
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 07:17:18 PM »
A converted flintlock would certainly fit the period. I'll look forward to seeing the photos. Do you have a certain character/career you're wanting to portray?

Nothing solid at this time.  I have a couple ideas, but I need to do a bit of research first.  Once I have something fleshed out a bit, I'll post it here in another thread.

I may decide to use this rifle instead of the DGW I mentioned above.  If I do, it will not be converted to caplock.
Hirams Rangers #14
NCOWS # 527
AZSA #83L
NRA
NMLRA
WartHog
Soot Lord

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 05:20:51 AM »
It would be a crime to convert that one!  Besides, according to Hanson's book "The Plains Rifle", flintlocks were preferred by people who were WAY out in the weeds because you weren't dependent on percussion caps.  It's the same reasoning I use in thinking percussion revolvers hung on way longer than most people think in really remote areas.  By that time you could find powder and caps anywhere, and cast your own bullets, but those newfangled cartridges may have been difficult to find.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 11:42:24 AM »
I agree. Among my 1850s homestead kit, I still carry a 20ga Southern Fowler. It's got a fast ignition and has never let me down.
Keep that gun as it is. It's perfect for what we're doing here. What cal. is it?

Here's a shot of one of my firelocks that I like to carry in a later impression. It's laid out with the rest of my plains guns.

-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Offline Vernon/IN

• Top Active Citizen
  • Hirams Rangers #14
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 04:26:29 PM »
The rifle pictuerd above is .50 caliber.  It has a 44 inch Colerain swamped barrel, an L&R Early Classic lock, and a maple stock with a bit of figure.

Those are a couple of fine looking Longrifles and a good assortment of plunder to go with them.

Ineed to shoot a few photos of some of the items I'll be using with my TAPS persona.  I'll probably make another powder horn, my F&I period map horn would probably be a bit out of place. 
Hirams Rangers #14
NCOWS # 527
AZSA #83L
NRA
NMLRA
WartHog
Soot Lord

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com