Author Topic: Cimarron 1881 Hammerless SXS Shotgun  (Read 14521 times)

Offline paledun

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cimarron 1881 Hammerless SXS Shotgun
« on: November 15, 2013, 02:25:59 PM »
I would like your comments regarding Cimarron's 1881 shotgun.  Good or not so good, I would like to hear it all.  Thanks in advance.  Paledun

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Cimarron 1881 Hammerless SXS Shotgun
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 02:32:52 PM »
Really good looking gun.  I didn't get a chance to work on one before I retired, but, a couple of shooting friends bought them and found them to be incredibly stiff and in need of some extensive tuning.  Second hand but the best I can do.

Coffinmaker

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 07:20:18 PM »
Howdy
You can get it with a 30 inch barrel , sure would make a Great Hunting shotgun .

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:22:07 AM »

1961MJS

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 03:12:16 PM »
Hi

I have one setting in Wichita KS with a 28 inch barrel.  I hope it's a nice looking as the two 20 inchers that they had.  We're supposed to be getting freezing rain etc so I can't go get it YET.....

Mike

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 04:29:19 PM »
1961MJS
Hope you will give us the run down , when you get your scatter gun . The 28 inch barrel will be very handy for Hunting .

1961MJS

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 01:43:46 AM »
Hi

I picked up the Shotgun the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, but I haven't shot it yet.  It is VERY stiff to open and close.  The trigger is pretty good, but not great.  I didn't look at the box, but I was told I got a 28 inch barrel, but the barrels measure 26 inches, which is what I originally wanted.  I emailed Cimarron arms about ordering more Choke Tubes.  I'd like to get a Turkey full or two for that season and a second Skeet tube.  I think that the 1881 takes Tru-Choke tubes, but I'd like to verify that.

Later

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 07:25:25 AM »
...I emailed Cimarron arms about ordering more Choke Tubes.  I'd like to get a Turkey full or two for that season and a second Skeet tube.  I think that the 1881 takes Tru-Choke tubes, but I'd like to verify that.

Cimarron does not stock extra choke tubes, but it does take Tru-Choke.

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 09:39:16 PM »
Howdy
If you need tubes for Turkey Hunting call Colonial Arms in Alabama . Choke Tubes are there business . And they have Turkey tubes that will fit about anything . call 1-251-580-5000 Traci will take care of you .

Offline paledun

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 06:53:21 PM »
1961MJS, your 1881 Cimarron is identical to mine.  The reason I asked about others experience with the Cimarron 1881 is because mine has not been totally favorable.  I was fortunate enough to win the gun in a raffle this summer and could not wait to put shot down the barrel.  However, after a five stage match shooting my med to heavy black powder loads, the action loosened considerably.  It went from reasonably tight to 1/32 inch play between the receiver and barrels.  I sent it back to the "smith" who had donated the gun for the raffle who also included a lifetime warranty.  He hardened and moved the barrel lug slightly forward that rotates on the receiver which greatly closed the gap.  He did say the gun could loosen again and believed Cimarron might know this was happening.  Since his work, I have shot twelve stages with the gun and it seems to remaining tight.  I am keeping my fingers crossed.  Let us know if these problems occur with your gun.  Paledun

1961MJS

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 05:09:37 PM »
Hi

Thanks, I plan to shoot a little tomorrow.  I'm glad I didn't buy extra chokes yet.

Mike

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 06:55:53 AM »
I believe that gun is made in Turkey.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 10:33:26 PM »
Maj 2, I believe you 2 be correct.

Coffinmaker

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 03:48:53 AM »
I would like your comments regarding Cimarron's 1881 shotgun.  Good or not so good, I would like to hear it all.  Thanks in advance.  Paledun

since you asked for comments ....here is my 2 centavos

I tend to shun Turkish guns , the problem has been historically parts....

There have been any number of attempts.... names like Liberty & Liberty II 
 Importers....
KBI  - Charles Daly
ADCO
EMF
from manufacturers Huglu = CZ  & Kahn .... none carried any spares

The 1881 Cimarron looks nice and at $700 not an outrageous price, but is there a parts network  ???

when planets align...do the deal !

1961MJS

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 02:35:06 PM »
Hi

I looked at the box, and I ordered a 26 inch barreled Standard 1881.  Bullseye said that they ordered me an 28 inch barreled Standard 1881.  I received a 26 inch barreled Deluxe 1881.  I took it out a couple of weeks ago and shot it at the pattern board.  The right barrel shoots to the point of aim.  The left barrel puts a cute dimple in the primer, but no Boom is heard.  All of the shells from the left barrel went off if I used the right barrel (it wasn't the shells).  I dropped off the 1881 at UPS this morning and it should be in Fredericksburg TX on Friday.  Cimarron Arms was pretty helpful in arranging for me to send the gun back to them.  

I'm guessing that I should be getting it back fairly soon.  My Return Authorization number was 13-142.  My GUESS is that's 13 for 2013 and 142 for the one hundred forty-second return in 2013.  That's not too bad considering all of the different types of guns that they sell.  I've been out of town and had a cold etc so it hasn't gone home that quickly.

Later

Offline paledun

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 05:49:17 PM »
1961MJS

My repaired Cimarron is now doing exactly what you are experiencing with yours.  Two matches after 1st repair to tighten the fit of barrels to receiver.  I fact, the gunsmith said he had worked on the misfires problem as well but that is now a "real" problem.  This occured two weeks ago at a CAS match but I was using brass shotshells and thought that may be causing the problem.  Went to AA's today and the same results.  Load two shell, close action tightly.  Right barrel fires and action slightly opens, left barrel fails to fire (which may be a good thing).  I may call Fredericksburg tomorrow but will be at Winter Range in a few weeks and a face to face may be more productive.  Let me know when you receive yours back and the results of repairs.  Sagerider

1961MJS

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 10:08:11 PM »
Hi

I ordered a Cimarron Arms Standard 26 inch barreled 12 gauge 1881 shotgun from Bullseye Shooting Range in Wichita KS.  I received it in November 2013, but didn't shoot it until after 2014.  I shipped the shotgun back to Fredericksburg Texas in mid January 2014, and received it back at H&H gun range on March 22, 2014.

When I took the gun out for the first time, the left chamber wouldn't fire even though it did leave a dimple in the primer.  I was in a position to have the gun shop where I purchased the gun look at it and they said to send it back to Cimarron so it would still be under warranty.  I emailed Cimarron, received a return authorization and set it back via UPS.  Hill Country Precision Gunsmithing in Fredericksburg does Cimarron's warranty work and it was back in Oklahoma in under 60 days.  It took longer than normal because the firing pin hole was drilled off center on the left side.

All in all, the gun works good now and its a good fit.  I plan on taking Rowdy's advice and getting a few more chokes from Colonial Arms in South Alabama.

Oddly enough, I ordered a 26 inch standard, which they didn't have in stock, but they had several 28 and 30 inch standard guns.  I told my dealer that I'd be perfectly willing to take either a 28 inch or a 30 inch.  I received a 26 inch deluxe model.  I'm not upset, but they didn't ask if I wanted that one.  I did ask about the gun becoming loose.  I also asked if the gun would be o.k. for shooting turkey loads in and was informed that turkey loads were fine and that no 1881's had been returned for soft metal or anything like was mentioned here earlier.

Hope I'm still shooting it years from now.

Mike

Offline Wolfgang

• Top Active Citizen
    • The Desperate Hot Springs News
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2014, 05:22:42 AM »
I just read thru the comments above.   My thought is . . . . why pay 700 for a Turkish replica of an old shotgun design ?

I have 6 side by sides.   Three were "wall hangers" that I got working and were about 100 $ each.

The other three are really fine old shotguns that functioned perfectly and need no work of anykind. 

A Husqvarna under lever that was about  $ 500.   A Belgian made one that is old but not  "antique old"  that was  $ 450.   And an original Remington from the 1890s that was $ 450.   All function perfectly. 

So why pay significantly more for a Turkish copy of an old design ?    ::)
Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

1961MJS

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2014, 07:14:19 AM »
Hi
One reason is that I don't shoot history in competition.  Second reason is that I didn't find anything during the three gun shows I looked at.  Last reason was that I found the 1881 in a gun store, but with 20 inch barrels and it fit.

Later

1961MJS

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2015, 05:26:34 PM »
Hi, I finally got both time and decent weather together.  I shot three rounds of trap with full choke.  I just worked out that I only shot the left barrel 75 times now and the right once.  Handles well, but I'm still horrible.  At least it's only a few miles away.  I'll be getting lots of practice. 

Later y'all

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com