Author Topic: H & R Trapdoor Carbine  (Read 2645 times)

Offline 6mmintl

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
H & R Trapdoor Carbine
« on: November 14, 2013, 08:34:20 AM »
I have a H & R Trapdoor Carbine in excellent 90-95% condition, it appears to be and H & R “Officers Model” Trapdoor Springfield stock and a std. H & R 22” carbine barrel/assy put together.

It has nice factory engraving (etching) thru out on all stock metal parts/assy's and Bore is “As New”,  Wood and metal finish is approx. 90-95% with no major scratches, dings, cracks, or damage. I had the Lock tuned and breaks at 2.75 lbs.

I have shot cast bullets (350 grains x 20 grains Aliant 2400) only and though accurate it kicks/recoils way too much for me, im thinking about going to the heavier Trapdoor rifle and letting this one go

What do you guys think is a good price to ask for this rifle?

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: H & R Trapdoor Carbine
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 09:21:09 AM »
Rather than sell it, have you considered loading the original carbine load?  A close proximity would be a 405gr bullet over 55gr of Goex 2F and card wads to take up the extra space.  But you could substitue the 350gr bullet for even lighter recoil. This reduced load was developed for the carbine because troopers complained about the excessive recoil of the rifle cartridge in the lightweight carbine.  It is much more plesant to shoot.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline 6mmintl

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 05:47:00 PM »
I have not shot BP yet but I have a line on a H& R rifle I think I will buy so ive decided I will let this one go.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:27:12 AM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 07:12:35 PM »
I have both the H&R Cavalry Carbine and the Officer Model. Both are among my favourite BPCRs, nicely made and finished; easy to carry and a delight to shoot. The OM is a little too pretty to take hunting with it's case colours and engraving.

I shoot them 28 grs 5744 with both 350 and 420 gr bullets and it isn't a punishing load. I also like 36 grs 3031 or Varget with the same bullets. I've had no issues with mine at all.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com