Author Topic: .44 Henry CF Ammo  (Read 17253 times)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: .44 Henry CF Ammo
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2013, 12:19:35 AM »
Since we can't acquire .44RF cheaply enough ($600 per box) or or in sufficient quantity to play with, the chances of actually having the opportunity to play with an original Henry or '66 are eccentrically nill.  Ditto the .44 Henry Central Fire.  Just ain't gonna happen.
Therefore, I substitute the Cowboy 45 Special case and the .44 Russian case to approximate the original cartridges.  My Henrys will hold 18 cartridges.  Capital FUN.  The '66 with shorter barrel hold fewer.  Use the .44 Russian with a modified carrier in another '66 with .44 Open Tops as mates.
The existence of the South American '66s has been known for a long time.  The apparent source of the ammunition is interesting, but moot.  Not available for use.  There may well have been a few CF '66s that escaped into the US market.  The only CF '66 I have put hands on was "repatriated" from the "south."
Unfortunately, I couldn't afford an original of either, with or without ammunition.  My reproductions, for which I have an unlimited supply so ammunition for, will just have to suffice.

Coffinmaker

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2013, 12:39:06 AM »
Coffinmaker;  For shooting CAS we do what we have to do. 8) 8)

When not reloading or shooting we are allowed to pursue historical matters; - once in a while.  :) Cut us a bit of slack ::)
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2013, 07:15:15 AM »
I haven't seen an original box of .44 Henry Rim Fire for $600.00 in nearly 20 years.  Even now, a nice full box of 1920 vintage Rem/UMC will go for $1800.00 to $2200.00.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 03:35:11 AM »

Offline cactus joe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2013, 02:08:14 PM »
I haven't seen an original box of .44 Henry Rim Fire for $600.00 in nearly 20 years.  Even now, a nice full box of 1920 vintage Rem/UMC will go for $1800.00 to $2200.00.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               That's all, give me a case ;)           

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2013, 06:29:14 PM »
All of a sudden I'm regarding the half dozen .44 Henry RF rounds I have as a lot more special.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2013, 02:57:16 PM »
If anyone is interested, I've posted the photos of my 1866 Winchesters on our web site.  To view these photos, go to www.oldwestreproductions.com and click on "Photo Gallery".  You can then click on the photo for information regarding these guns.  Many more photos of "old stuff" from my collection, will be posted in the near future.  Hope this will help.

Offline Seth Hawkins

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2013, 07:11:43 AM »
Since we can't acquire .44RF cheaply enough ($600 per box) or or in sufficient quantity to play with, the chances of actually having the opportunity to play with an original Henry or '66 are eccentrically nill.  Ditto the .44 Henry Central Fire.  Just ain't gonna happen.
Therefore, I substitute the Cowboy 45 Special case and the .44 Russian case to approximate the original cartridges.  My Henrys will hold 18 cartridges.  Capital FUN.  The '66 with shorter barrel hold fewer.  Use the .44 Russian with a modified carrier in another '66 with .44 Open Tops as mates.
The existence of the South American '66s has been known for a long time.  The apparent source of the ammunition is interesting, but moot.  Not available for use.  There may well have been a few CF '66s that escaped into the US market.  The only CF '66 I have put hands on was "repatriated" from the "south."
Unfortunately, I couldn't afford an original of either, with or without ammunition.  My reproductions, for which I have an unlimited supply so ammunition for, will just have to suffice.

Coffinmaker

I've done something very similar to my Henry.  I had it re-chambered to use a .44 Colt case and a heeled bullet that is about identical to the original rimfire bullet.  This picture shows an original in the center and a .44 Colt on the right.  I worked with Bernie Rowles to create a bullet that is a very close copy of the Henry bullet in the center with a single external lube groove and a flat nose.  I chose to use the .44 Colt case because as far as I can tell it more closely duplicates the volume of the original Henry case.  At least it appears that way in this picture.  Granted, there is some loss of capacity in the case head, but c'mon, I think it's pretty darn close.  Also, the longer .44 Colt case didn't require any mods to the block, whereas the shorter Russian case does.

I know it's not perfect.  But it's close enough for me.  While I was having the work done on the barrel I also had it de-farbed, and the correct dates stamped on the top flat.  I had ".44 Henry" in a nice flowing script engraved between the rear sight and the receiver where the serial numbers on the originals are stamped.  It looks really nice.  I then had the barrel rust blued.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2013, 07:36:40 PM »
Well Seth, you can't just get us all worked up about your rifle and have no photos!! Post 'em!!  ;)

Offline Seth Hawkins

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2013, 09:53:18 AM »
I grabbed my digital camera last night to take a few pics and the damn thing is dead. :(

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2013, 12:48:16 PM »
I grabbed my digital camera last night to take a few pics and the damn thing is dead. :(

Very cool Seth, but give that camera mouth to mouth!  Pics a needed.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2013, 02:14:42 PM »
Bass, The Phone! :D
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Seth Hawkins

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2013, 03:40:28 PM »
I can try my phone.  The pics won't be very good, though.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2013, 07:45:06 PM »
Hmmm! Wonder if these cartridges would fit an Old Model .44 Evans Short? From the little data I possess, the dimensions are very similar. ???
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2013, 08:27:13 PM »
Seth,
Really like that bullet and the ideal of the longer 44Colt case.

Did you start with a 44Spec Henry?  I did not know they had 44Spec Henry rifles, if you did.  I know a '66 comes in 44Spec.  What did you have to do with the chamber if stating with 44/40?.
Black River Smith

Offline Seth Hawkins

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2013, 08:32:22 PM »
OK guys.  Here are a few mediocre quality images of my Henry's barrel markings, and a few money shots of the engraving and wood.  Ken Hurst did the engraving.  I used 1000 & 1200 grit wet paper to remove the varnish from the wood and give it a satin finish.  I didn't steam-out the dents before I did it, so if you look closely, the dents still have the varnish in them.  Oh well.

I also included a shot of my .44 Henry ammo alongside my .44 Colt ammo.  I can use them interchangeably in either guns, but, of course, it's not wise to use a pointed bullet in a gun with a tube magazine.  I have shot my pistol rounds in the rifle.  I wanted to see how they performed.  They worked great!  So did the rifle bullets in the revolvers.  I have yet to find a load or bullet that hasn't been accurate in either the rifle or the pistols.  There's something about those heeled bullets.  I don't like using the heavy 225gr rifle bullets in my revolvers because of the excessive recoil they produce.  The open top design isn't known for it's strength.  My normal load for them is a 165gr bullet.

Well, here are the pics:

My 225 grn Henry CF heeled cartridge on the left and my 210 grn .44 Colt heeled cartridge on the right.

My 225 grn Henry CF heeled cartridge on the left and my 165 grn .44 Colt heeled cartridge on the right.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com