Author Topic: Question regarding the Chiappa 87 Lever Action Shotgun  (Read 6596 times)

Question regarding the Chiappa 87 Lever Action Shotgun
« on: November 05, 2013, 10:16:03 AM »
I have a question concerning the Chiappa Model 87 Lever Action shotgun that I was wondering if somebody might be able to answer for me.  Hopefully somebody on the forum will have had some experience with this, and can comment.

As I’m sure you all know, Chiappa makes several versions of it’s Model 87 Lever Action Shotgun.

The Model 930-004 (Fast Load Model) is a version Chiappa offers specifically for cowboy action shooting and it has apparently been designed to ONLY do the two shell “fast load”.  That is all it does, and is the only way it can be used.

The other model, which is the 930-013 (Cowboy/Hunter Model), comes with a “conversion kit” which apparently allows you to use the shotgun as a hunting gun with a 5 shot magazine – OR – convert it over to the dedicated two round “fast load” configuration to use in CAS.

I am trying to figure out if the 930-013 model that can be configured as either a hunter version – OR – a CAS two round “fast load” version really IS as good in the dedicated CAS version for that purpose.  If it is then that is clearly the way to go because you then have the best of both worlds.

But it has been my experience that things designed to be multi-purpose often don’t work as well at any specific task as something designed specifically for that one particular task.

If the Hunter/Cowboy model is really as good for CAS use as the dedicated CAS two shell “fast load” model – you have to wonder why Chiappa would go to the trouble of even offering the dedicated CAS model.  There does not even seem to be any significant difference in price.  So what would be the point?

Anybody care to comment on this?

Thanks in advance for your help

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Question regarding the Chiappa 87 Lever Action Shotgun
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 01:52:35 PM »
One thing I have found is what is advertised is not necessarily what is available.  There are several distributors that handle Chiappa and I have never found one that has the cowboy drop two in stock, let alone a conversion model.  Even if you are hunting, why would you need five shots?  If you are shooting any kind of migratory game bird you can't have any more than three in the gun.  Also, a tuned competition gun and a hunting gun are two different things.  Yes, you CAN use your CAS guns for hunting and self-defense.  But, if you ever have an accident or have to, God forbid, shoot someone, the plaintiff's attorney (yes even if you shoot a burglar there will be a plaintiff's attorney) will shred you on the stand for having guns "modified" from stock.  If you want a Chiappa, it will pretty much be buy what you can find.  If you want one for competition I would buy a standard one and then send it to Lassiter for a proper drop two conversion and tuning.  They are pretty stiff and clunky out-of-the-box.

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 05:37:28 PM »
I actually have found one of each - both new and for sale.  Just trying to figure out which one to get.   ???

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:07:24 PM »

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 06:05:02 PM »
I actually have found one of each - both new and for sale.  Just trying to figure out which one to get.   ???

If you are genuinely going to use it for hunting and CAS then you have answered your own question -- buy the convertible.

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 08:32:42 PM »
Yes, you CAN use your CAS guns for hunting and self-defense.  But, if you ever have an accident or have to, God forbid, shoot someone, the plaintiff's attorney (yes even if you shoot a burglar there will be a plaintiff's attorney) will shred you on the stand for having guns "modified" from stock. . . They are pretty stiff and clunky out-of-the-box.

I have heard that theory before & find it hard to swallow.  If a sane person is going to keep any firearm for self defense, he will want it to function smoothly and dependably, so it would make good sense to have I tuned so it is not as stiff an clunky as it came out of the box.

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 12:33:00 PM »
Good point Pettifogger.  No, I have no intention at all to use it for anything other than CAS.  Just thought that maybe if I ever wanted to sell it, which is unlikely anyway, that it might be easier to sell if it could be converted to a hunting gun.

I think I'll go with the one made strictly for CAS.

Thanks to all who commented.

Offline pakm

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 06:24:35 PM »
I'll throw my two bits in , In my last cowboy match someone had the 87 lever action and he had problems with it.  for the whole match. I was able to pick up an 93/97 chinese winchester clone pretty cheap and it ran just fine.  I was able to load four shells and fire them with no problems(we can use them here in Texas where I shoot) a friend has an original in 16 gauge and he would likie to find another one just like it. if any knows of a 93/97 winchester in 16 gage please let me know.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 12:40:06 AM »
I'll throw my two bits in , In my last cowboy match someone had the 87 lever action and he had problems with it.  for the whole match. I was able to pick up an 93/97 chinese winchester clone pretty cheap and it ran just fine.  I was able to load four shells and fire them with no problems(we can use them here in Texas where I shoot) a friend has an original in 16 gauge and he would likie to find another one just like it. if any knows of a 93/97 winchester in 16 gage please let me know.

The 93/97 was not made in 16 gauge.  The 93/97 is a modern gun so your friend does not have an "original."  He may have a 97 in 16 gauge but not a 93/97.  And, the 93/97 is not a SASS legal shotgun for cowboy action shooting.  So, if you shoot at a club other than your own chances are you won't be able to use it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com