Author Topic: OPENING THE HENRY REAR SIGHT  (Read 5793 times)

Offline Wolf Killer

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
OPENING THE HENRY REAR SIGHT
« on: November 03, 2013, 08:19:37 PM »
Hello Lads,
I have been a lever gun shooter for 50 years, my first being a Marling 39. Being left handed it was narural to go to the lever gun, and being a cowboy since age 6, well it was predetermined to love lever guns.

I put off buying a Henry fro years, I have the Comarron 66, 73, 76, the Rossi 92, and the Winchester 95, 94 and so on. But I had passed on the Henry only because of the open tube magazine and the lack of a foream, well that and the $1300.00 plus price tag

my Gun Club has a large gun show every month, and a dealer had a Cimarron Henry on his rack for four months the price tag had dropped monthly from $1200.00 to $1050.00 over the months. It was sold as new without a box, but it for all reasons looks new.

After some negotiations, I left the show with the Henry at $900.00 out the door.

In short words, I love this gun. My only complaint is my 64 year eyes can not find the front blade in that tiny V notch.
I don't want to replace the sight, I want to keep it as close to original as possible, nor do I want to add a tang sight to it.

Any input on opening that tiny V? I would love to see it as a  square Partridge, but not sure of that or to wide the V.

Any one do an operation on theirs to solve this?

Thanks ahead of time, and Happy trails.

Donald Bowman

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: OPENING THE HENRY REAR SIGHT
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 10:34:57 PM »
A bit of careful time with a file, and I opened mine up to a square notch.  Works very well with the front sight on the Henry 1860.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 424
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 01:37:22 AM »
What Mr. Adams said works well, thought opening it as V is easier, the square is better.
Welcome to the fold , I've taken the liberty to add your handle to the Henry Shooters rolls...
when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:58:53 AM »

Offline Wolf Killer

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 02:20:31 AM »
Thanks for the input lads, and thanks for the addition to the Henry club.

Any special file to do the square notch? or just a needle file?

Donald Bowman

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 02:38:04 AM »
a  # 2 Cut  16cm Smooth Flat Needle File, cause that's just what I had, turns out it was the right choice  :)   

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 09:41:28 PM »
I have a similar problem seeing the sights.  I like a "V" rear sight so I just used a small triangle file.  Worked a treat.

Coffinmaker

Offline Wolf Killer

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 10:18:30 AM »
Gents,
thanks for the input, I got up the nerve and some pillar Swiss files and started in. I used vinyl tape to seal off the rear of barrel in front of sight and the front of receiver in front of it to protect  the rifle from marks.

With patience, a lot of light and double checking my work, I now have a perfectly square partridge rear sight .
It is .065 wide and does give me a skiver of light o n both sides of the front sight when shouldered.
Now it is off to the range to see if it made a difference.
I think .080 would be better, but would need a mill for that in order to keep things centered and square.

So my hat is off to you gents for you input on this project.

Thanks,

Donal Bowman, Wolf Killer

Offline Sleepy Floyd

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 10:54:20 AM »
Any pics of the finished product.  I just purchased an 1860.  having an issue finding the front sight.  Thought about going with either a tang peep or front peep.  Just hate to change the looks of the rifle.

Offline Wolf Killer

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 01:36:53 AM »
Hello Pard,
I will get my 66 out and try to get a close up photo of the rear sight for you.
I am the same way, as I didn't want to change the original look of the rifle as the Uberti looks like an original Winchester, but the choice of a V rear blade and a Partridge front is tough to see with older eyes that don't make the the two planes of focus as eaily as when we were young.

DB

Offline rdstrain49

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 08:30:05 AM »
Wolf, if you wear glasses you might consider having a pair of shooting glasses made with normal distance lens in your non-shooting eye and about 39" focal plane in your shooting eye. (my optometrist measured from eye to front sight on a couple of weapons and took an average)  Lets me see like I was 20 again.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 07:22:12 AM »
I have/had an optometrist that was an Anti ...I mentioned I wanted something like you mentioned, and he wouldn't/coundn't do it  ::)
He gave me some song & dance , and spent some addition time lecturing me on the ills of firearms in general.

Since , I was getting my glasses and covered by Ins. I had to get what I got ...but I was incensed... >:(
The extra shooting glasses would not be covered and I was planning to pay out of pocket...

I told them I would NOT be back ...

What I did was order was...
MAGSHOT Full Magnifying Hunting Shooting Safety Glasses Full Compliant ANSI Z87.1+ Select Full Magnifier insert:

I ordered the weakest magnifier inset they allow me to clearly see the sights . Look them up on Amazon.Com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com