Author Topic: Cabine shooting high  (Read 7926 times)

Offline ncmeatgrinder

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cabine shooting high
« on: November 03, 2013, 05:50:32 PM »
My Uberti 1876 Carbine is shooting about 3' high at 50 yards. I'm using the stock sights with the gun. There is no way to lower the rear sight. This is consitant with all 300 grn smokeless loads I have tried. ANy ideas on how to get on target?

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: Cabine shooting high
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 08:31:13 PM »
Howdy
What caliber is your 76 ? also are you using factory ammo or are you loading your own . Where does it hit at 100 yards ?

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 08:47:40 PM »
Different firearm, but with my Chapparal NWMP carbine with the Spanish Meter sight I had to hold the front sight very low in the rear V notch.   Sorry, not a direct answer. :(
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:42:27 PM »

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 02:25:50 AM »
My one shot high as well with the sight it came with, mine is a 45-60. A friend had the same problem.
We both complained to Uberti but no good.
We then bought new sights and they both shoot fine now.

I have a tang and a high front sight, and john has an origanal 76 sight on his with a new front sight.

Good luck.
Buffalochip

Offline ncmeatgrinder

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 06:26:33 AM »
Howdy
What caliber is your 76 ? also are you using factory ammo or are you loading your own . Where does it hit at 100 yards ?

I am shooting reloads with 300 grn lead in 45-60. It hits approx 2-3 ft high at 100 yrds.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 08:32:15 AM »
I'm certainly not advocating hot-rodding your load.  But generally speaking, a slower moving bullet will himpact higher at close range than a faster bullet.  This is because upon firing, recoil brings the muzzle up.  A slower moving bullet takes longer to exit the muzzle.  When it does exit, the muzzle is higher up, thus raising the point of impact at close range.  Conversly, a fast moving bullet will exit the muzzle sooner, before the muzzle gets as high as it did when the slower bullet exited.  Thus it's impact point is lower. 
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline will52100

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Knives
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 11:39:46 PM »
Had the same issue with mine.  First couple of times out I finally gave up and put up a 4'x8' sheet of particle board to see where it was hitting.  "Bout 3' high.  First issue was the mag tube was way too tight and was actually flexing the barrel up.  Took a bit off the end of the tube, once I got it off, and it brought the POI down to about 1 1/2' high at 100 yards.  After that I removed the front sight and filed the blade down flat and milled a slot and silver soldered a higher blade I made out of a piece of scrap 1084.  Pretty much bang on now.
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms

Offline ncmeatgrinder

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 08:42:05 PM »
My one shot high as well with the sight it came with, mine is a 45-60. A friend had the same problem.
We both complained to Uberti but no good.
We then bought new sights and they both shoot fine now.

I have a tang and a high front sight, and john has an origanal 76 sight on his with a new front sight.

Good luck.

Mike,

WHat tang and front sight did you use for replacements? I've got to change the original sight out.

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 10:39:09 PM »
I  could only get a lyman tang at the time so that is what I use, front sight is a high blade, not sure of make. It shoots fine now but not the look I wanted and as soon as I can find something better that looks origanal 7 wiil change the set up.
Buffalochip

Offline ncmeatgrinder

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 08:51:31 AM »
Any one else change out the sights on  the Uberti cabine ? If so, what products did you use?

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 06:50:23 AM »
I filed the rear notch down on my 73 carbine and it got me in business. I hold about 2/3 deep in the notch and it works fine.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com