Author Topic: Building a Sourdough Starter  (Read 4778 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Building a Sourdough Starter
« on: October 13, 2005, 10:50:48 PM »
This is where things can get compicated if you want, just like fried chicken or chili there are many ways to to it, and just like those the way you do it is best. ;D

Some used milks and flour, some use water and flour some add sugar, I do it simple, I just feed it flour and water.

What you need to do is induce a yeast into it, an active yeast.  The bacteria is in the air and sometimes you can get a good yeast from the air, some areas like the San Francisco area or the Nome area are famous for good wild yeast.  My friend Capt. Hamp Cox likes yeast found on wild grapes.  I found I like to buy my yeast, but regular bread yeast don't work well, it tends to get weak very quickly.  I like to make yeast type sourdough and I don't want to add yeast to the dough as some do.

What I have found is the best and this is based on some help from a couple of micro-bioligists, I use a yeast called Saccharomyces bayanus and I buy a package for a $1, if you are a yeast expert you already know this is nothing but French Champagne yeast.  It has a high tolerance to it's own alcohol and it of course is famous for making CO2.

I simply dissolve it in about a cup of warm water in a 1/2 gallon jar, I add another pint of water and stir in a couple of cups of flour, I add more each day and use more flour than water till after about 3 days I have a jar that is almost full of something about like thin pancake batter.  By then it has that sour smell and is ready to use. 

I try to use it at least 2 times a week and replace what I use, usually about 3/4 of it.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Re: Building a Sourdough Starter
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 12:12:20 PM »
Is this the same starter to make "Amish Friendship Bread" with?

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 12:53:38 PM »
Most make AFB out of bread yeast, it is just a weak version of sourdough starter, more for flavor than a real levaning cause most recipes add baking powder or yeast.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:39:05 AM »

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 11:59:28 PM »
The day I made the first post was the day after I looked at the starter I made about a year ago, it looked a bit sick.  It was kept in the referator for almost two months while I made trips to the hospital this summer.  It just ain't been itself since so I poured it down the drain, cleaned the jar well with soap and Chlorox and rinsed well.  I got my spare pack of yeast out and started another one. 

Today I gave it a try cause it looked and smelled right.  In about 20 minutes I will take three very nice looking loaves of sourdough French/Italian Bread out of the oven, they are shorter and fatter so they must be Italian loaves.

I got some olive oil, garlic and Parmasan Cheese the other day so I just might have to have some garlic cheese bread tommorow. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 03:08:25 AM »
Yummy!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Bristow Kid

• I've got a touch of hangover beuracrate. Don't push me
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Matthew(Matt) Bohach
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 05:08:40 PM »
Del,
Where can I find this type of yeast.  I live in the middle of no where. 

Bristow Kid
Prayer Posse
SCORRS
NCOWS #2540
Grand Army of the Frontier #437
Department of the Missouri
PWDFR #149
RATS #233
SASS #68717
WARTHOG

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 06:19:16 PM »
I've got to go to the local wine making shop this week and get some to send to some blond lady down in the Flint Hills of Kansas, PM me yer address and I'll send you a couple also.  Got to go license the new chuckwagon in the next day or so and will be on that side of town.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com