Author Topic: Uberti Schofield Trigger/Bolt Spring  (Read 5052 times)

Offline Jack Straw

• Very Active Citizen
  • SASS #1562
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Uberti Schofield Trigger/Bolt Spring
« on: October 19, 2013, 07:07:12 PM »
I have a brand new Schofield that I'm carefully smoothing and tuning.  The action is pretty much where I want it but the problem, as others have noted in this forum is that the stock trigger/bolt spring is REALLY HEAVY. There is a point where no matter how smooth the engagement surfaces are the spring weight dictates the weight of the pull.  Right now it's at 6+pounds, too darned heavy I'd allow.

My question is have any of you lightened the trigger spring?  I understand that spring controls the bolt as well and supposedly it's easy to foul up the bolt timing.  Correct me if I'm off base here but if the spring is carefully and evenly thinned a bit how would that affect the bolt timing?  If the lightening was done sloppily so the proportional tension was different between the trigger and bolt I could see how that could create a problem.   

There is so little info on tuning these guns that a guy could imagine it to be a black art.

By the way, this brand new production gun is very nicely done.  The interior surfaces are the cleanest and smoothest of any of the dozen or so Uberti products I've owned and the point of impact and accuracy are right on at 50 feet with a 200gr. slug loaded to about 800 f.p.s.

Thanks in advance for any help on this issue.

Jack Straw

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Uberti Schofield Trigger/Bolt Spring
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 12:47:29 PM »
Jack,

Unless things have changed within the construction of the new made S&W's, the bolt stop spring is mounted on the underside of trigger guard. The trigger spring is mounted on the underside of the grip, below the main spring
Trigger movement does actuate the bolt stop, however, trigger spring tension should not effect the bolt stop spring tension. These are two different springs.
I hope this info is helpful.
My best,
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Jack Straw

• Very Active Citizen
  • SASS #1562
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 09:52:40 AM »
Blair,

Thanks for the reply.  It took me some extra time staring at the schematic to find the bolt spring.   Darn, it looks small but you're right, it is there at the trigger guard.

I did some experimenting with lightening the trigger spring, reducing the pull in increments of about a pound each time.  It started at 7.5#, then down to 6.5, then 5.5  still with proper timing but the last step to 4.5# began to foul up the bolt timing.  Fortunately I have another spring so no permanent harm done.

I'm in the dark as to why the bolt timing is tied in to trigger spring tension.  My initial impression was that the trigger spring directly pressured the bolt but now that I see that isn't so the mystery deepens.

I'd be pleased to hear  from any of you who have worked on these guns. Also a big thank you to Tom Horn  for his abel counsel. 

In the meantime I'll keep experimenting.

It's easy to see why some 'smiths shy away from these guns. 

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:33:05 PM »

Offline Gus Walker

• Top Active Citizen
  • The sunny slopes of long ago.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 06:45:14 PM »
 ;D Yep they are a little intimidating to work on. Ive done one for a friend and managed to get a smooth trigger pull by stoning and polishing all the mating surfaces inside the frame and the trigger and sear. I wouldnt lighten the mainspring any. By the way this helped tremendously on the takedown and reassembly.
        http://www.gunreports.com/special_reports/handguns/Smith-Wesson-Schofield-Revolvers150-1.html
Aye its been quite a ride aint it?

Offline Jack Straw

• Very Active Citizen
  • SASS #1562
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 07:34:50 PM »
Thanks for that link Gus, it's great to have ANY information on these guns.

I spent a little time at the bench this afternoon and got the timing straightened out.  Tom Horn suggested a minor bend to the bolt spring and that did the trick.  Things are looking good, I have my pull weight where I want it and the gun functions beautifully. 

Ain't it nice when yer "improvements" actually improve something?  ;D ;D

I did "hourglass" the main spring by about .o6o per side and removed the safety block.  The cocking action is much lighter and more consistent now.  There was a real hitch in it's gait before.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com