Author Topic: Would like some opinions on gun leather for 7" Schofield's and other  (Read 8607 times)

Offline Thomas (Tom) Horn aka James Hicks

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS#86684 Wartrace Regulators
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Not a member of this board... I have recently acquired two Uberti Schofield's 7" barrels in 44-40 caliber.  This is going to be a "whole" new learning experience for me... all of my cowboy arms are in 45LC... have never loaded 44-40.  My request is folks "opinions" on gun leather and loads for SASS stages.  I am looking at what El Paso Leather shows as the JJ Rig.  But before I buy would like some feed back from individuals who have more experience with the Schofield's than I.  The only thing I saw that I did not like with the JJ rig is that the revolver sits really low in the holster. I suppose I could have them make it so the revolver would ride a bit higher.  It also appears it may be a while in getting loading dies... everywhere I have looked they are all on "back order". I also see a myrid of folks referring to different bullet diameters.  I will have to slugg the barrels, right now I do not know what the Uberti's will slugg out to be... I am assuming somewhere in area of .428 to .430 ???? I thank all of you folks in advance for your "opinions".
"If I killed that kid, it was the best shot I ever made, and the dirtiest trick I ever did."

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Would like some opinions on gun leather for 7" Schofield's and other
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 01:27:39 PM »

Hi Tom:

As to leather, ultimately, it depends on what you want -- "real Old West" or "reel Old West."
Historically correct leather from this period typically did tend to carry the pistol deeper in the holster that Hollywood and modern gunleather styles. For the most part, holsters were designed more as protection for the firearm (from damage and/or loss) than for quick access.

If you want leather that's historically based, then chances are it will be a "deeper" carry. If you want quick draw capabilities and don't care that much about being historically accurate, then a more cutaway or shallower carry is probably what you're after.

You might want to check out Rattenbury's "Packing Iron" -- probably the best book on the market (that I'm aware of) when it comes to examples of original period gunleather.

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline Jack Straw

• Very Active Citizen
  • SASS #1562
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 05:54:30 PM »
Mr. Horn,

Havin' been a 7" Schofield enthusiast for many years (just got a new Uberti .45 today in fact)  my favorite leather for 'em has been a pair from Will Ghormley.  They are from his standard line and he calls 'em "The Adobe".

They may cover more of the gun than you want but they really have a great period look.  The skirt is wide and "spoon like" with a single center loop.   My pair was done in a very dark brown, edge tooled, with a nice set of nickel spots for just a bit of bling.

http://www.willghormley-maker.com/

Another nice set for the Schof is the El Paso Saddlery Jesse James modelhttp://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-211-16-jesse-james-holster.aspx

Have fun,

Jack Straw

Advertising

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 06:14:52 PM »
Hi,

I used Will Ghormely's Johnny Ringo rig ... but I first added 3" to the 'drop' of the rig by adding 6" to the area where the holsters fold over the belt ... and then I added an opposite side holster by reversing the holster to make a right holster. After making a belt, I made one as a shotgun Cartridge belt so that I had a matching rig ... and here is a pic of the rig:

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 07:09:23 PM »
Howdy

I just went to the El Paso Saddlery website and I don't see any 'jj' rig. There is, however a Jesse James rig, and perhaps that is what you meant.

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-210-10-jesse-james-2-holsters-and-belt.aspx

Anyhoo, a few years ago when I was lucky enough to acquire a New Model #3, I decided it deserved a really nice holster. I had El Paso make up this Slim Jim for me. I had it lined and Border Stamping done to dress it up a bit. It was not cheap, with the lining and border stamping the holster came to $133.

Then a year ago I was able to acquire a 2nd Model Russian. I called up El Paso and ordered another Slim Jim just like the first. I was concerned that the long extractor housing under the barrel might be too bulky, but El Paso assured me it would fit. When it arrived it was dimensionally exactly like the first one, and the Russian does fit. In the ensuing two years the price had only gone up to by $4.

This year I was able to acquire a 1st Model Schofield. Happily, it fits just fine into the Slim Jim holsters.

Yes, the guns do sit low in these holsters. I have no problem with that. If you look, the Russian snugs down nicely so that the trigger spur snugs up against the holster. I will never win a match based on speed with these revolvers, they are antiques and I shoot them slowly and deliberately.

I have no revolvers chambered for 44-40 but I have 5 rifles chambered for the cartridge. My standard load is 2.3CC (around 35 grains) of Schuetzen FFg Black Powder under a 200 grain Big Lube Mav-Dutchman bullet lubed with SPG. This is a full house load. You will probably not have much luck shooting Black Powder out of those Ubertis. My standard Smokeless 44-40 load is 7.5 grains of Unique under a 200 grain RNFP bullet.

Yes, it is tough to find dies now. I am using set of RCBS 44-40 dies that I bought about ten years ago. You will want to use case lube with your 44-40 brass, there are no carbide dies available for the caliber. Go slowly, 44-40 brass is thinner at the mouth than 45 Colt and will deform easily if it bumps into the sizing/decap die. It will also crumple at the neck if you don't set your dies correctly. For this reason, lots of guys prefer to seat the bullet and crimp in two separate steps, but if you set your dies very carefully it can be done in one step. Been doing it for years.

Regarding shooting replica S&W Top Breaks, it is completely different from shooting a SAA or replica. The hammer spurs point up on all the #3 Smiths (check my photos). In addition, there is more of a reach to the hammer than there is with a SAA. So don't expect to be winning any matches with your Schofields. Shooting Top Breaks is all about style points.

P.S. Based on the rifling groove diameters of my 44-40 rifles, I settled on .428 as my standard bullet diameter. I cast a size them myself so I can size them to any size within reason. When slugged my rifles very from .427 to .429 in diameter. Since I cast my bullets from pure, dead soft lead, they bump up a bit in diameter to engage the rifling in my .429 rifles. You may want to slug your barrels to determine what diameter you need, or you may just want to buy a few bullets in several diameters and try them.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline tyrel cody

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 10:01:34 PM »
Hey Tom,

Sent you a PM. Believe I know a couple of places locally that has 44-40 dies. After you slug your bores let me know I have some .427 and .430 size bullets and I'll load you a few. I think Papa Oso has Lee .427 and .429 bullet size dies as well.

Natchez Shooter Supply has them as well.
Later,

Tyrel

Offline Thomas (Tom) Horn aka James Hicks

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS#86684 Wartrace Regulators
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 11:54:44 PM »
Thanks much to everyone who responded to my question.  I have made my mind up on the gun leather... will go with El Paso and the Jesse James Rig.  And for Driftwood Johnson... I figured most folks would know what I was referring to when I stated the JJ Rig at El Paso Leather (JJ Rig ... short abreviation for Jesse James)... I do thank you Driftwood for all the info you sent especially abt the loads and bullet size.  I have not slugged these guns yet so I really do not know what the best diameter for bullets will be... I am guessing somewhere in the area of .428 to .430 ???? tis a guess. I realize Schofield's are not the fast shooters that the peacemakers are... I just like the way they look... Ifn I want to be competitive, I will use my 5.5 artillery (Smoke Wagons) or my Cattleman 4.75" Gunslinger guns (LOL). The 5.5 Artillery worked very good for me in the Tennessee State Championship shoot this past week.
El Paso is not cheap... but the JJ rig they show on their website looks pretty cool in my opine. I talked with a person at El Paso and they can make the holsters so that my Schofield's do not ride so low in them... I know that is not period correct... but I am a little guy in height and I do like for my revolvers to be that deep in the leather... (gun carts are not period correct so my pistols riding higher does not bother me.  Tyrel Cody, I thank you for the infor on where to get the 44-40 dies... thank you very much my friend... will see you at our next shoot.
I sincerely thank everyone who responded... God bless and happy trails to ya....
"If I killed that kid, it was the best shot I ever made, and the dirtiest trick I ever did."

Offline Amos Dumas

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Irish Dave made my holsters, 7-1/2" Schofields, and they are great!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com