Author Topic: UBerti El Patron cylinder problem (?)  (Read 8896 times)

Offline Red Horse Ranger

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
UBerti El Patron cylinder problem (?)
« on: October 16, 2013, 03:26:17 AM »
I have two Uberti El Patrons. I notice on one that everyonce in awhile the cylinder seems to over rotate before the bolt raises to lock it, which causes the cylinder to not lock in and is misaligned. I can cock the pistol hundreds or dozens of times sometimes and it doesnt do it then it will. When I remove the cylinder and push down on the bolt the spring tension pushes it back up but it makes and an ever so slight click...almost more of a feeling of a click that an actual noise. On the other pistol I have never seen it do this and when pushing down on that bolt it is very smooth with no sign of anything catching or "clicking" . I have disassembled the problem pistol but I can't see where it might be hanging up. I have not disassembled the other pistol to look at and compare yet, but probably will. Has anyone else ever experienced this or heard of what it might possibly be?

RHR

Offline Mr Bear

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: UBerti El Patron cylinder problem (?)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 01:17:39 AM »
Sounds like a problem with the bolt fingers not engaging properly with the hammer cam...  I had a similar problem with my Piettas.  Solved it by fitting Smith Enterprise bolts (get them from Brownells).  Works like a Colt now.  I also recommend a Heinie bolt/trigger spring.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 01:19:22 PM »
Start at the beginning.  Pull the gun apart and check the fit of the bolt an ALL the cylinder notches.  Fit the bolt if necessary.  Polish the sides of the bolt, and the bottom of the bolt where it interfaces with the spring.  Check the contact surface on the spring.  Polish the contact surface flat.  Test.  When you reassemble, insure the bolt leg of the spring does NOT drag on the side of the frame.
While apart, you should also check the travel of the bolt thru the window.  Polish the sides of the window.
Make sure there are no burrs on the hammer cam to interfere with the bolt leg.  Polish the contact area of the bolt leg.
Head for the range and see if you resolved the issue.

Coffinmaker

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:21:35 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 01:23:16 PM »
Almost forgot.  If you have a hiccup when you cock the gun, it may "throw by."  A wire spring will make throw by problems worse.

Coffinmaker

Offline Red Horse Ranger

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 01:34:45 AM »
Thanks Coffinmaker. I did some of that but I didn't mess with the spring or the actual bolt surface where the spring sets.....I will take a look at that.

RHR

Offline Red Horse Ranger

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 01:36:32 AM »
....oh and you too Mr Bear.... Could have sworn I already posted that but its not here....

RHR

Offline Red Horse Ranger

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 04:26:07 PM »
Success......Easier than I thought it was going to be. I noticed the hammer cam was getting a scratch in it and on the hammer where the bolt moves that obviously didn't look right so I took apart the pistol that wasn't having any issues and compared the bolt from that to my problem pistol. The leg of the bolt that engages the cam was slightly bent out, don't know why, but when I held the two bolts side by side on a flat surface the problem pistols bolt legs were spread wider. I made them match and no more "clicking". Obviously it was rubbing too hard on the hammer and causing the issue. All seems to function normal and after a couple hundred dry fire tests the cylinder engages and locks where it is supposed too. Two good things today, fixed pistol and now off to Disney World.....

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 04:35:01 PM »
Red horse,
Don't slow down or look over your shoulder.  My sweetie and I are headed for The Happiest Place on Earth on Monday :-)

Coffinmaker

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 05:55:00 AM »
...My sweetie and I are headed for The Happiest Place on Earth on Monday :-)

Coffinmaker

At your age Coffinmaker that must be the Bingo parlor.   ;D  :D  ;)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 01:49:30 PM »
BINGO!!  Ah well no.  I do like the Mad Hatter's Tea Party ride though  ::)

Coffinmaker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com