Author Topic: Reloads in Duty Pistol  (Read 5737 times)

Offline FloraBama Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Florida Bordertown
    • Panhandle Cowboys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Reloads in Duty Pistol
« on: June 04, 2004, 08:08:09 PM »
Looking back more years than I want to admit, I had a close pard and fellow LEO who reloaded. He taught me just enough to get by and with little to no concern I started carrying reloads in my duty pistol. Not so sure I would do it today.

Anyone else load their own?
~~~SASS# 54776~~~ BOLD# 568~~~

Offline California Lawdawg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Reloads in Duty Pistol
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 11:33:58 PM »
In all the years I was RangeMaster/Armorer, no officer was allowed to carry reloaded ammunition. Only authorized rounds were factory bought by the department..

Reloads were an invitation to a lawsuit in a shooting.

Lawdawg

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2004, 03:17:27 PM »
I reload for CAS and Target shooting, but duty rounds are factory. None of those CAS or Police Targets shoot back. ;) :o 8) ??? ::)
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:49:16 PM »

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 09:20:00 AM »
Interesting!

I carry reloads in my off duty gun all the time. But department policy is to only carry issue while on duty.  This appears to be the norm for every department nation wide. Reasoning is, as stated earlier, the lawsuit thing. I've heard this preached by every armourer and gun pundit out there...including the great Massad Ayoob. All of them claim that the use of reloads will get the pants sued off you and your department.

So....several years ago I started searching for any cases wherein the use of reloads has resulted in a judgement against a person or department. So far I have been unable to document any such case. I even wrote to Ayoob askin' for case file numbers to provide evidence that this has ever happened. He didn't reply.

What I think is going on is that the legal eagles and ammo companies have perpetuated a myth...a good sounding one...but a myth nevertheless. Indeed, the closest I've come to finding any real evidence of this sort of thing was a huge outcry back in the late 80s or early 90s regarding FACTORY ammo. Winchester was forced to pull their Black Talon pistol ammo off the civilian market due to bad publicity concerning how "lethal" they looked!?!?! :o

On duty? I'll carry issue stuff...I don' wanna get cashiered! But I don't worry about my off duty ammo at all!
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline Utah Bob

• Top Active Citizen
    • Lazy Bob Ranch
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2004, 12:46:07 PM »
Most departments, mine included, prohibit the use of anything but dept issued ammo on duty. I think Cuts is right  about the "myth" of reloads but nobody is willing to risk a lawsuit these dayys. Personally, I carry commercial loads in my off duty weapons and replenish them once a year.

Additionally, we just convinced the dept to use full house duty ammo for qualification instead of under-powered range ammo. The justification in the past was always budgetary. They finally realized that they had a stronger position in court if the officers routinely practised and qualified with the same rounds they use on duty. The added cost is minimal.
Rocky Mountain Warthog
BOLD #1
GAF #6
Proprietor - Lazy Bob Ranch
No cattle, No crops, No problem

Offline Cutwires Al

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2004, 07:04:46 AM »
Most departments, mine included, prohibit the use of anything but dept issued ammo on duty. I think Cuts is right  about the "myth" of reloads but nobody is willing to risk a lawsuit these dayys. Personally, I carry commercial loads in my off duty weapons and replenish them once a year.

The danger I've alway felt with carrying reloads, is having some Sharkish Attorney try to paint me as some diabolical Whcak-job, sitting in my basement chuckling evilly as i load the ammunition used to shoot the Plaitiff's Hubby, Son, Daughter, Cousin, Dog, Ect.  ANYTHING i carry has factory ammo in it... :-D  there's enough that i DONT carry for me to load all the nasty little surprises my heart desires...hehehehehhehehehe
"Give a mouse a cookie, and next he'll want a glass of milk...Mice are Such bastards!!
SASS #47223
SBSS#1049  Assistant Media Bumfoozler, Support Staff, OGB 6-26-04
BOLD #272
Warthog Anti-Tank Squadron
PROUD Member of PETA "People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline Lawful Larry

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2004, 09:30:02 AM »
I am retired now, but still work with my former assistant on my departments firearms program.  I wrote the policy on our firearms program and the ammo is strictly first run factory made.  On off duty ammo we were only allowed to load first run factory ammo and no reloads.

I do have to admit I know where Cuts is coming from on his data.  What he says is correct.  I also researched this subject and found no evidence to show that reloads were the main topic for a law suit.  But ya know that it will be only a matter of time before some land shark will use his/her slimmy tricks to make a jury think it has merit for a law suit.   ;)
Just Another Voice in the Crowd!

Offline Brazos Bucky Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2004, 11:36:34 AM »
I agree!  It isn't the reloads themselves that come to question.  Some bloodsucker lawyer could could weddle into the minds of muddleheaded jurors and a city, county, or State PD could lose a passle of money they can near afford.  Look at many of the decisions coming out of courts these days and not only from juries, but "learned" judges too! :o :o :o :o :o :o

BB
Brazos Bucky
"A man oughta do what he thinks is right."
BOLD #566, NRA Life (Endowment)
SASS #59058, SBSS #1605, SCORRS

Offline Sergeant Smokepole

• Dark Lord of The Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2004, 06:01:28 PM »
I can make them cheaper but I can't make them better. Factory only for real life situations.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com