Author Topic: Is the Pawl adjustable on the NMV?  (Read 7093 times)

Offline TheOtherLeft

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Is the Pawl adjustable on the NMV?
« on: October 07, 2013, 01:12:09 AM »
Hi Pards,

Is the pawl adjustable on the NMV? I have 2 NMVs and have removed the reversing pawl/spring. On one of them is fine and the cylinder turns both directions very  smoothly.

The problem I have is with the other NMV. The pawl sits slightly proud and stops the cylinder from reversing.

Here's a pic of the recessed pawl

Here's a pic of the proud pawl

When rotating the cylinder I can hear the pawl ride over ratchet teeth on the rear of the cylinder.

Both NMVs fire fine but I would like to adjust the pawl. Or is my only option to file down the file, which I don't want to do?

What about the pawl spring/plunger? Can it be adjusted?

Thanks.

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: Is the Pawl adjustable on the NMV?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 07:37:01 PM »
I'm definitely no NM Vaquero gunsmith. But I reckon a file is the only adjustment.  
And it might be a good idea to have a "new" unfitted spare pawl before you start adjusting.

Mustang
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline TheOtherLeft

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 08:05:29 PM »
From memory when I bought this pair of NMVs, and as I described in my other thread I left one of the NMVs with the gunshop as the reversing plunger wasn't operating properly and I didn't hear the "click" as the cylinder rotated with the gate open, and the cylinder would spin both directions. Now the gunshop stripped the NMV to fix this issue but I have a feeling they played with the pawl and now it stops the cylinder reversing. It fires fine though.

I prefer not to take it back to the gunshop, as they don't seem all too competent in the NMVs, and would rather fix it myself. Hence I seem to believe there must be a way of adjusting it without getting out the files.

I know it seems rather odd that I am modifying the NMV to the same state I left it at the gunshop but I wanted both to be the same level of functionality before I start modifying it.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:35:05 PM »

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 11:29:19 AM »
I was gonna suggest a good Ruger 'smith in your area.  I can recommend several GREAT Ruger "mechanics".
But I see you are from Aus.   ??? ??? ???

Maybe someone will chime in on this.

Good luck, Mate!
Mustang
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 04:21:01 PM »
Anything is "adjustable" if you know what you are doing.  If you disassemble the gun you will sell see a small cutout in the top of the grip frame over the trigger guard.  The NMV has a reversing pawl.  HOWEVER, Ruger did not put it to allow the cylinder to rotate in reverse.  They put it in to align the chamber with the loading gate.  The NMV pawl has a tail on it.  This tail fits into the cutout in the trigger guard.  You adjust the pawl by adjusting that little tail.

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 06:45:00 AM »
How did the pawl work come out?

MG
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
www.wildwestarms.net

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com