Author Topic: My first rookie gun question  (Read 4517 times)

Offline BobbyF

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
My first rookie gun question
« on: September 27, 2013, 04:00:05 PM »
Hi Pards,
     You all have so graciously answered all of my leather questions I could think of no other place than to ask this question.  Can I get ,more " period" and  have my rear adjustable  sights ??
     I've read most of the Old Posts and love them. I do not shoot CAS, I shoot fun bullseye and plink. I'm not a purist but I love that most of You seem to be which is wonderful. I feel if I  got a Ciimerron, Urberti, I could be disappointed with the fixed iron sights. Everybody I know or see is shooting semi's (Albuquerque area). I shoot a new  Rugar Blackhawk 6.5 bl, 357. I love it! And shoot very well with it.  I carried a  Glock until I retired and shot it often, it was not fun or relaxing like the SA. I did find a range that shoots CAS that I hope to visit soon. Hope I didn't bore anyone. Thanks as always for any input and be well--BobbyF

Offline oldironguts

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: My first rookie gun question
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 04:26:54 PM »
If you get a Uberti you could be disappointed with more than just the iron sights. I just picked up a new Uberti Schofield and it has so many flaws, Iam returning it. Goofed up blueing, screws not seated and mechanical blunders. I have lost interest totally in Uberti. I saw the same blueing goof on You Tube, gray smoky shadows look really bad. Can't trust them unlike the earlier years.For what I paid I could have almost bought 2 Rugers..... Go Ruger

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 04:54:30 PM »
Uberti makes a target model of the famous Bisley revolver that has the correct grip profile, unlike the Ruger Bisley. Adjustable rear sights.

If your handgun has a front sight dovetailed in, you can drift it a little to adjust aim.

The 1872 Open Top has little nubbins for the rear sight on top of the rear barrel. Some folks have a gunsmith cut a dovetail and mount a different sight. You'd have a little adjustment there, also.

These are the examples that come to mind right away as far as period solutions.
I applaud your instinct to stay period. Always the wisest choice.

Look in a lot of reference books to see what was done in the day to change sights. Sometimes just filing the rear notch a bit wider will open it up so you can see a little daylight around the front blade. This helps my eyes align the sights.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:15:36 AM »

Offline harleydavis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #C31 SASS #3740 NRA GAF #394 5th Minn. Infry
  • SASS #: 3640
  • NCOWS #: C31
  • GAF #: 934
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 05:10:33 PM »
I would put my '72 Open Top Colts in .44 Russian against any adjustable sight revolver out to maybe 20-30 yds, beyond that it may be a power issue anyway. I use a pair of '51 Navy Conversions with Black Powder .38 loads for my Gunfighter class shooting, and they very rarely miss. Of course, that is at the close SASS targets. If you are an Old West purist than there is no choice but a fixed sight. If you are after target shooting accuracy and/or distance shooting and dont care about pure Old West, then perhaps the adjustable is the way to go. But personally, I would not say that fixed sight revolvers are not capable of very good accuracy. More than likely, it depends on the condition of your eyes and the steadiness of your hand!!!

In so far as quality issues with Uberti or any other maker, they can all have a problem here or there. I have one of the older ASM Schofields and no matter what I do, it shoots 3-4" to the left. I will have to make some sort of new front sight. But, I also have a new Uberti made No. 3 Russian and it is a tack driver. Go figure.

I remain, respectfully,
Harley Davis
"I do not believe in ghosts so I do not burn a candle waiting for them. As to the killing of a bad man, when it comes to a fight, it is the other man or me. And when the deed is done, why bother the mind? Afterall, the killing of a bad man should not bother anymore than the killing of a rat, a vicious cat or an ugly dog" James Butler Hickok when asked if he ever thought about the men he had killed.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 01:34:43 PM »
Never, ever underestimate the accuracy of the fixed sights and the old designs. Nothing much is more pleasing than going to a range with a Pietta replica of some Civil War era revolver and shoot next to some of these young guys with their new thousand dollar semi-autos. When the black powder smoke clears it generally reveals tighter groups from the old 160 year old design.

As long as the gun hits POA I prefer most fixed sight models over adjustable because most adjustable sights are a big square notch.

I have Ruger Old Army and the Pietta Remington BP revolvers in both fixed and adjustable sights. I actually can shoot tighter groups and prefer to hunt with my fixed sight models because the front blade is thinner and the frame is a more precise v notch in the rear.

For precise aiming on a cartridge revolver I like the sights on my Cimarron Old Model frames over any of the adjustable sights

http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline BobbyF

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 09:38:53 PM »
Hi Pards, as always thank you  for all your posts, I value your ideas they are always informative and give me much to think about. I hope someday to help someone as you all have helped me . Cliff my hoster work is limited, but I agree, I really dislike the "notch" caused by the sights. Thanks all - BobbyF

Offline willy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 12:21:29 AM »
The gun is going to shoot what it is pointed at.
Hopefully the sights will be lined up with whatever it is pointed at!
The only advantage adjustable sights have over fixed sight guns is the fact they are easier to set your POA  with your POI.
All my fixed sight guns have the same POA and POI .
It is just a little more work getting them set right.
And a big disadvantage to fixed sights is if you plan on shooting different loads .
Which isn't a problem for me as I shoot the same 45 colt charge in all my 45 revolvers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com