Author Topic: USFA Double Eagle  (Read 3838 times)

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 94
USFA Double Eagle
« on: September 16, 2013, 11:31:31 AM »
OK, time for a dumb question again.

Can someone please explain the difference between the USFA Double Eagle and the Birdshead revolver that is currently posted on GB. Other than the finish, hammer difference, and one has wood grips and the other one has white plastic grips I can't see any difference.

Thanks
A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Offline GaryG

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: USFA Double Eagle
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 03:40:11 PM »
Lou,
I forgot about the DE until I saw your post.  The DE had an elongated trigger guard (where the trigger finger goes).  Basically the DE had:
1.  Birdshead Grips
2.  Birdshead hammer
3.  3 1/2" barrel with ejector 
4.  Elongated trigger guard

Mainly done in CC/DB but I'm sure there's a few out there in other finishes.
Gary

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 94
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 10:20:05 PM »
So basically the only difference from the DE and a 3 1/2" Birdshead was the elongated trigger guard. I can see the difference in the trigger guards now that you mentioned it and I examine them closely.

Once again, thanks Gary for your valued information.  
A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:20:55 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 05:37:27 PM »
I have a pair of DEs.  They now need to be sent out for work, but that is a different issue.  the DE as issued, isn't legal for CAS.  It has that funky Bisley shaped hammer.  If you have a DE or two and want to play CAS with em, you have two choices. 
You can use Pietta hammers for a more traditional thumb piece.  You can also contact Cimarron and use the snazzy lower wider hammer they have for their mounted guns.  Both are pretty much "drop in."
You may however, encounter a problem with the firing pin bushing in the recoil shield.  When bored/counter sunk for the conical firing pin, it was cut too thin and the firing pin wall owes out the hole till the primer flows into the hole and jams the gun.

Coffinmaker

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 06:01:45 PM »
I have a pair of DEs.  They now need to be sent out for work, but that is a different issue.  the DE as issued, isn't legal for CAS.  It has that funky Bisley shaped hammer.  If you have a DE or two and want to play CAS with em, you have two choices. 
You can use Pietta hammers for a more traditional thumb piece.  You can also contact Cimarron and use the snazzy lower wider hammer they have for their mounted guns.  Both are pretty much "drop in."
You may however, encounter a problem with the firing pin bushing in the recoil shield.  When bored/counter sunk for the conical firing pin, it was cut too thin and the firing pin wall owes out the hole till the primer flows into the hole and jams the gun.

Coffinmaker

The year SASS was voting on whether to allow the "Montado" style hammers to be installed Davidson's had a booth at the SASS Convention and had a bunch of the Double Eagles with them.  I helped them install a set of lighter springs in one of their demos and it was wonderful with just a spring job.  Told them I would take a pair IF SASS made them legal.  What wound up happening was the Montado style hammers were made legal to swap, but they kept the rule about having to have Bisley grips with Bisley hammers.  I didn't buy the Double Eagles.  Wish I had.  I shoot Duelist and the guns felt great in my hands.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 07:06:20 PM »
Pettifogger,
OOPS.  The "feel" of the DE is just superb.  Shame you didn't get a pair.  They are sweet and I will be right pleased when I get the firing pin bushings replaced.  When the bushings are replaced, I'm also removing the conical firing pins from the OEM hammers and switching to the Uberti firing pin.
Interestingly enough, the hammers I swapped in are the hammers used in Cimarron's "Firstorm" series.  I mounted them on a mandrel and aligned the hammers side by side.  The location and height of the thumb pad on both hammers is identical.  It's a shame the OEM hammers are not acceptable.
My guns also responded very well to a simple spring job.  Although I did have head space and end shake issues that needed correcting.  Then, I fit .45 ACP cylinders to the guns ans with either ACP cases or C45S cases the guns are just superb.
If you run into a pair at sane prices, snap em up.  The hammer issue is easy to resolve.

Coffinmaker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com