Author Topic: Pedersoli Rolling Block questions  (Read 32616 times)

Offline hatman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Pedersoli Rolling Block questions
« on: September 11, 2013, 10:10:21 PM »
Not sure of the right sub-forum, but thought this one might be closestl

Just picked up a Pedersoli 26in rolling block from my dealer that I bought from gunbroker.  It was 'New Old Stock'.
I was quite surprised with the barrel - it's like a bull barrel.  At 26" the rifle is just under 12 pounds.
I was looking for a Custer-like rifle and I admit the purchase wasn't my most researched one, but I have a couple of questions for those with some experience here:

- Are the barrels on all rolling blocks this heavy?  (Not complaining here 'cause at my age I need the reduced recoil.)
- I think I had a second question, but I forget what it was.   :)

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Pedersoli Rolling Block questions
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 03:16:01 AM »
I'm not all an expert on Pedersoli rolling blocks, but I can’t remember a Pedersoli rolling block with a short bull barrel. They made “The Mississippi Rifle” with a 24” barrel, but it wasn’t that heavy of a barrel. How sure are you of that “New Old Stock” tag on it?
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 08:48:37 AM »
What is the diameter across the flats? What caliber is it?

I recall many years ago,  Navy Arms sold a .45-70 rolling block with a heavy bull, short barrel.  I don't recall the length, either 24" or 26" I think.  It was pretty cool looking.  Posting a photo of yours might help.   
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:40:56 PM »

Offline hatman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 11:26:04 AM »
What is the diameter across the flats? What caliber is it?

I recall many years ago,  Navy Arms sold a .45-70 rolling block with a heavy bull, short barrel.  I don't recall the length, either 24" or 26" I think.  It was pretty cool looking.  Posting a photo of yours might help.   

Yes, I just found a Navy Arms stamp on the barrel.
It's a 45-70 and it looks like 1 1/16th " across the flat.

I'm very confident it's new from the light brown grease I removed from the barrel as well the unopened owner's manual.
I'm also sure it's "old" as it came with a promotional VHS tape (also unopened)  :)

I couldn't figure out how to embed a picture, but here is a link to it:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=361207414

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 12:18:39 PM »
hatman,

Your Remington RB is indeed assembled/finished and sold by David Pedersoli Co. (indicated by the oval with the initials DP, for Navy Arms Co.)
It may indeed be "old" stock. Assembled for Navy Arms in this configuration probably two years or more ago.
Pedersoli has long held very high quality in fit and finish of the firearms they build. Pedersoli also has some of the best mass produced barrels on the market today!
I hope you find this info helpful.
My best,

PS,
As a side note;
The US Model 1841 Rifle (aka, Mississippi Rifle) was manufactured by the National Armory at Harpers Ferry (and a few other contractors) from 1844 until 1855).
These were manufactured with .54 cal. bores (later, many of these were altered to .58 cal. between 1855 to 1862), ALL were manufactured with 33 inch  long "Round" heavy or bull "rifle" length barrels.
  Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 01:28:33 PM »
Yes, that's the one I remember from years ago.   You should get a lot of enjoyment out of it.  
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline hatman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 11:14:48 PM »
hatman,

Your Remington RB is indeed assembled/finished and sold by David Pedersoli Co. (indicated by the oval with the initials DP, for Navy Arms Co.)
It may indeed be "old" stock. Assembled for Navy Arms in this configuration probably two years or more ago.
Pedersoli has long held very high quality in fit and finish of the firearms they build. Pedersoli also has some of the best mass produced barrels on the market today!
I hope you find this info helpful.
My best,

PS,
As a side note;
The US Model 1841 Rifle (aka, Mississippi Rifle) was manufactured by the National Armory at Harpers Ferry (and a few other contractors) from 1844 until 1855).
These were manufactured with .54 cal. bores (later altered to .58 cal. between 1855 to 1862), ALL were manufactured with 33 inch  long "Round" heavy or bull "rifle" length barrels.
  Blair

Thanks Blair.
I appreciate your comments.
And thanks, too to ndnchf.

I just got off my butt and measured the flat on my Shiloh heavy octagon.  It looks like one inch, so it seems the Pedersoli is a little bigger.  Not sure if that qualifies as a bull barrel, but it doesn't really matter.  It's just a name.  I was just curious as to whether all the Pedersoli RB octagons would be the same dimension.  I still have an interest in getting straight stock 30" more like a Custer rifle.
This one is just shy of 12 lbs.  Just wondering what another 6" would add.

Again, thanks for the insight.
I'm looking forward to giving it a tryout next week when I RETIRE!!!  Six days and a wake-up.  :)

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 03:38:45 PM »
A few years ago I bought the same type rifle off the SASS wire, mine came with a soule sight of unknown origin and a globe front.
Original sights and inserts for globe site provided stored in a couple of film containers.  Seems to shoot ok, but have not discovered that sub-moa load either in smokeless or bp
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline The Goose

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 06:57:42 AM »
I picked up one of these a few years back. A fellow on a local forum was selling one for an elderly friend. The ad just said Navy Arms rolling block and I took a chance. I was pleasantly surprised at what I found. A very well made, heavy barrel shooter in like new condition and I got a great deal. Mine had a beach front sight with a single notch barrel sight with no elevation and an entry level Pedersoli vernier sight. Subsequently I replaced the front sight with a Lyman repro Winchester #21 front sight and a Smith Enterprises extra long range buckhorn rear sight. I dumped the cheap vernier sight. The cool thing is that with the rear sight down flat it is dead on at 50 yards and the lowest setting in the up position is on at 100 yards with more additional elevation then these old eyes will ever use. A great rifle and a great shooter.

"No matter what line we hand you when we come crawlin' in, we ain't wrong, we ain't sorry and it's probably gonna happen again. And that's the truth about men." Tracy Byrd

Offline Yellowhouse Sam

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 07:58:25 AM »
No not all Pedi rollers have the bull barrel as they offer several models none of which are accurate copies of the original sporting rifle. Thats a shame cause they have the capability.  http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/tipologia-prodotti.asp/l_en/idt_60/rifles-rolling-block.html
SASS #25171
NRA
Retarred and Member of KMA
SBSS
"Sammy done his da**ndest, Angels could do no more" (From lyrics of Andy Wilkinson"

Offline hatman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 01:29:56 PM »
In all honesty I'm not feeling the love for my rifle.  I don't really care for the bull barrel.  It's just an aesthetics thing for me.
I'll be on the lookout for an RB Target which is a closer match to the Custer RB.

Offline Yellowhouse Sam

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2013, 01:50:37 PM »
A spec frame, rebated receiver, scalloped trigger guard, and proper fore end and buttplates would help my attitude toward a possible purchase of a pedi roller.  Eliminate the brass trigger guard too.  And that barrel band is  characteristic of a miltary rifle and just doesnt' trip my trigger.  That said, most will shoot like a house afire.
SASS #25171
NRA
Retarred and Member of KMA
SBSS
"Sammy done his da**ndest, Angels could do no more" (From lyrics of Andy Wilkinson"

Offline The Goose

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2013, 03:53:41 PM »
I have to agree with Yellowstone Sam, it is a shame that Pedersoli does not make their rolling blocks (or Sharps) closer to the original. They certainly could. That being said I own an original Remington rolling block military rifle in 50/70 and a Lone Star repro in 50/90 and although my Pedersoli may not be as true to form it is a hell of a shooter and I paid $500 used. Also personally I like the way that it looks.
"No matter what line we hand you when we come crawlin' in, we ain't wrong, we ain't sorry and it's probably gonna happen again. And that's the truth about men." Tracy Byrd

Offline hatman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2013, 06:54:53 PM »
I have to agree with Yellowstone Sam, it is a shame that Pedersoli does not make their rolling blocks (or Sharps) closer to the original. They certainly could. That being said I own an original Remington rolling block military rifle in 50/70 and a Lone Star repro in 50/90 and although my Pedersoli may not be as true to form it is a hell of a shooter and I paid $500 used. Also personally I like the way that it looks.

Goose,
I can't tell from the pictures. What's the barrel length on your Pedersoli?

Offline The Goose

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2013, 02:46:18 PM »
26"

Offline killbears

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2013, 03:57:04 PM »
i have a pedersoli roller just like that. 26'' barrel, 1 1/16'' across the flats. no navy arms markings on it though. Cherry's was selling them for $500 a few years ago and i had to have it. its a good shooter but like you say, it's heavy.

Offline hatman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2013, 11:11:04 PM »
i have a pedersoli roller just like that. 26'' barrel, 1 1/16'' across the flats. no navy arms markings on it though. Cherry's was selling them for $500 a few years ago and i had to have it. its a good shooter but like you say, it's heavy.

Update:
I took it out to the range one time and there just wasn't any love there.  It's not because there is anything mechanically wrong with it, but it just doesn't turn my crank.  It feels heavy and clunky and I don't like the fixed rear sight.

I've decided to turn it over to my local FFL on consignment.  I'll be taking a huge bath on it, but I'll just chalk it up to a bad decision at the wrong time.

Offline StrawHat

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 02:49:27 PM »
hatman,  where do you live?  Or more to the point, which LGS?
Knowledge is to be shared not hoarded.

Offline hatman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2013, 07:48:02 PM »
hatman,  where do you life?  Or more to the point, which LGS?

Sorry for the delay in responding - didn't see this.

Seattle area.

LGS:   http://dnjguns-com.webs.com

Offline StrawHat

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2013, 03:58:01 PM »
Out of my area, but thanks and Happy New Year.
Knowledge is to be shared not hoarded.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com