Author Topic: Gun Grips  (Read 4719 times)

Offline KatieJean

• Leather & Lace
  • Citizen
    • kowboyboots.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Gun Grips
« on: June 04, 2004, 12:20:34 AM »
Could any one tell me the type of resin/plastic the faux Ivory grips are made out of?  I am a laser engraver and have been lasering on some grip, but considering makeing my own with designs and my supplier of resin/plastic didn't know.  My supplier did think it was probably a Shore D hardness of 70 type.
Thanks
KAtie Jean
"Cowboys and angels... leather and lace... salt of the earth meets heavenly grace. Cowboys and angels, proven and tried; a long way to heaven but one hell of a ride!"

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: Gun Grips
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 11:35:47 PM »
There are several compositions that produce the man-made Ivory - a couple even have actual Ivory dust as a part of their makeup.
Linen Micarta is also used, but not as much.
I do know, though, that laser engraving will "burn" its pattern - leaving the lines a dark brown - similar to actual aging, yet not as dramatic as inking them would be.
A pleasing effect.

I'd ask a couple of the manufacturers - Eagle, Ajax, Tru-Ivory - and see what they say.

Good Luck,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 10:27:53 PM »
I get my grips from Boone Traders in Washington. They specialize in REAL ivory, and other items for scrimshaw. They sell a poly-ivory that is the best for scrim, carving etc. it contains a good amount of ivory powder to give it the feel and aging of ivory. their grips sell for about $25.00. give 'em a looksee at
boonetrading.com
curley

Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:53:49 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com