Author Topic: My "New" Old Toy  (Read 3021 times)

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
My "New" Old Toy
« on: September 06, 2013, 07:47:16 PM »
I finally got to the range today with my three most recent acquisitions - an original Winchesteer 1873 (built 1888) chambered in 38WCF and two Gen 1 Colts (an 1880 and an 1881 vintage).  They all shoot quite well, and I'm particularly pleased with the Winchester.  In a quick range session, it shot a 3-shot group at 25 yards of 1" - more than "minute of cowboy" accuracy!  I look forward to taking these to our CAS match tomorrow and making smoke with them again.   ;D ;D
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: My "New" Old Toy
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 10:25:47 AM »

Blackpowder Burn,
Those are sure some neat vintage firearms.  ;D  What caliber are the Colts?

Nice group with the '73. ;D  Yours is the first report I have seen with the 40-185C bullet. 

Hopefully, in the long run, it performs as well as its older, slightly larger brother, the Accurate  43-215C has for me.

w44wcf

aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 03:50:14 PM »
w44wcf,

The Colts are both 45 caliber.  Both started life as Cavalry models and have factory letters.  The older one was converted to an Artillery model and sent to the Philippines in 1901.  The "newer" one was "liberated" from the gub'mint at some point and had a civilian conversion done - barrel cut and german silver front sight installed.

Both are in excellent mechanical condition and shoot well.  I'm thinking of having Alan Harton (who I bought them from) do a complete restoration on them in a year or so.

I've purchased two molds from Accurate so far, after your recommendation.  I've been very impressed with both and will be ordering more.  He worked with me to design the 45-220R mold, which I'll use for everything from 45 Colt, to 45 ACP to Ruger Old Army's.
Learned Brother at Armes

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:55:51 PM »

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 06:17:41 AM »
Blackpowder Burn,

That is very interesting! Quite a history! ;D Thank you for the information.

Glad you found Accurate Molds to be very good and that the 45-220R is one you designed. Tom provides a great product and to the specifications of the buyer. What more could one ask?  At last count I have 6 of his molds with 2 more presently on order....

w44wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 06:35:47 AM »
 Very nice Old ,Toy's there Pard. Sure like to see the old one's gettin to burn some powder. Very Cool, Keep um Smoking,,,,,,,Dusty

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 06:36:05 PM »
I'm tickled with 'em.  I also just got an 1889 Remington 12 gauge in a GunBroker auction.  Once I get it checked out I'll have an entirely original battery of firearms to burn charcoal for CAS.  I've been wanting a backup hammered double.  I suspect this one will become my primary and the Chinese knockoff will become the backup.

Life don't get no better!  ;D
Learned Brother at Armes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com