Author Topic: My new old 1873 carbine arrived today!  (Read 14221 times)

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: My new old 1873 carbine arrived today!
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2013, 01:24:47 PM »
About 15 or so years ago I bought a repro 1866 Carbine in 44-40 with a bulge in the barrel.
It too shoot well, although I only ever shot it with BP.
I am not fond of Carbines nor of the 44-40, but the price was right.
I completely rebuilt the gun into a custom 1866 "Rifle" in .45 Colt with a lot of 1873 features and a shotgun butt stock. (Based off of an original 1866 with the same features)
It has been my favorite, main match, leaver gun for most of my CAS shooting.
My best,
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2013, 02:24:26 PM »
I think John said the bulge was 4"- 5" ahead of the chamber.  He told me he had relined 2 carbine barrels before, but they were very thin and he was not comfortable with doing it.  I have the highest regard for John, his expertise and quality of work.  Since I want a good shooter, his recommendation was to put a new barrel on it.  He had a Badger barrel on hand and will turn it to match the original contour etc.  I'll keep my eye out for a good original barrel, but won't hold my breath waiting for one.  I like the .44 WCF very much, but If I stumbed on a good original .38 WCF barrel, I could go that route.  But for the time being I'll go with the new barrel and enjoy shooting it, with real BP of course.   
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2013, 03:48:30 PM »
Here is another method used to fix the problem.  Cut the carbine barrel off under the center of the forend band.  Drill out the barrel from breech to the end where it was cut.  Make a 20" sleeve that when turned, will slide inside the drilled portion and then turn down the remaining portion of the sleeve to match the contour and length of the original barrel.  Chamber the new sleeve then antique and age it back to match the original part of the barrel.  This way you save all of the original markings and original rear sight dovetail and the seam between old part of the barrel and the new sleeve will be hidden under the rear band.  This is a perfect fix for any old rifle with barrel bands.  I've seen this done many times on old Civil War muskets that have bad bores.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 02:34:25 PM »

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2013, 07:39:00 PM »
Interesting idea Buck.  Sounds like a lot of specialized work, more than I'm up to at this point.  But I'll remember it for future reference. Thanks
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2014, 03:25:26 PM »
Just wanted to provide an update on my 73 carbine. John Taylor made a beautiful new barrel for it. I got it back a few days ago and reassembled it today. He gave the new barrel an aged patina finish very similar to the old barrel. Very nice work all around. I hope to get to the range later this week and try it out. 

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2014, 05:00:21 PM »
Howdy
 Hope she's a tack driver .

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2014, 05:02:31 PM »
Thats good news ndnchf. I know you are ready to give her a try.Looking forward to a range report,,,,,Dusty

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2014, 05:34:26 PM »
Thanks fellas.  I slugged the bore and the new barrel is .4295" in the grooves and twist seems about the same as the original. It should be a good shooter.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2014, 07:19:28 PM »
I took the rebarreled '73 carbine out today for its maiden shoot.  I fired 40 rounds through it and all worked flawlessly.  20 rounds were with a Lee 205gr bullet and 5.5gr of Trail Boss and the other 20 with 33gr of Old Eynesford 2F and a .44 Mav bullet. 

It was a joy to shoot and I think it did pretty well for the first time out.  Tbis was the first 5 rounds of Old E.  Its only at 25 yards, but I'm pleased for the first firing.  With some load development I think it will do better.

John Taylor did a fine job on the new barrrel.

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2014, 07:37:07 PM »
NDNCHF, that had to be a great feeling.  Congrats.
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2014, 07:42:02 PM »
Very nice Pard.Mr. Taylor did a nice job on the patina finish. Good Shootin,,,,,Dusty

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2014, 08:11:47 PM »
It has been a rather painful and expensive proposition restoring this rifle to safe shooting condition. John also had to custom machine a new carrier for it, as the old one was just worn out and it wouldn't eject properly. And yes Dusty, he did a nice job of matching the patina so it looks good too.

Offline KirkD

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2014, 09:13:09 PM »
Very nice. Glad to see that old '73 carbine back in operation again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com