Author Topic: First Wild Bunch Experience  (Read 2943 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
First Wild Bunch Experience
« on: September 03, 2013, 04:58:17 PM »
There were three "Wild Bunch" side matches at the recent Canadian SASS Championships. Twenty+ shooters competed, including one woman - my wife!
Despite one stove pipe and hobbling about on an injured knee, I placed 3rd in "traditional". The "modern" class had the most entrants.

Everyone thinks that it's the cap & ball shooters that experience the most grief with their guns - not so! I wish I had $10 for every malfunction and gun gibble I saw amongst the WB shooters with their 1911's and '97's! It was almost rare to see a shooter have a clean stage with no glitches.
By comparison, I shot "Frontiersman" in the main events and suffered two misfires, requiring a second hammer fall.

I've always regarded the .38 race gun shooters as "IPSC Shooters in Cowboy Boots", but they've got nuthin' on the WB crowd! As an old IPSC shooter, I felt right at home. The only thing that could have made me feel more that way was if I had shot with two paws.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Blackfoot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: First Wild Bunch Experience
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 08:04:24 AM »
Sounds like you might need some gun doctors with 1911 experience.  Not being able to get through a match without problems is just not right.

Lafitte

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 10:01:07 AM »
The "bottom feeders" sure didn't fare well.

My wife took her 'Black Badge' course last spring and she noticed several people who would have been turfed from an IPSC match for various safety infractions. It was easy to spot those who had taken such training; easier to spot those who had not.

When I was acting as an RO, I had to remind several to keep their fingers out of the trigger guard during a reload.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:40:26 AM »

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 265
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 09:48:38 PM »
Everyone thinks that it's the cap & ball shooters that experience the most grief with their guns - not so! I wish I had $10 for every malfunction and gun gibble I saw amongst the WB shooters with their 1911's and '97's! It was almost rare to see a shooter have a clean stage with no glitches.
Our SASS CLUB had our first Wild Bunch Match last June and I noticed the very same thing.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 11:15:19 AM »
Check out the pics posted by Crotchety Old Grouch on the Canadian forum for some good views of 1911's with stove pipe malfunctions, misfeeds, etc.

The Senorita Juarista Insurrecto is my sweetheart wife. She held her own as the sole female entrant in the Wild Bunch stages. She put a lot of effort into her seemingly simple outfit, right down to the petticoats, corsellette and  tri-colour cockade on her sombrero.

Several women spoke to her and she encouraged them to get into shooting WB at their own clubs. Next year we'll see several more lady entrants, I'm sure.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com