Author Topic: Chapparal '73  (Read 7747 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Chapparal '73
« on: September 03, 2013, 04:47:00 PM »
I've got a shot at a Chapparal '73 in 44-40.

What is their reputation?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Long Knife Rich

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Chapparal '73
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 06:58:38 PM »
 I've never checked one out first hand, but from what I've seen posted online it seems not many people care for them.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 07:29:41 PM »
Junk, they are out of business and there are no parts.  Stay away from them.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:05:28 AM »

Offline The Swede

• Top Active Citizen
    • Lars Olsson Photography
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 10:13:14 AM »
I have one. It shoots grear. Marstar sells them, and they have parts. No after market parts (short stroke etc.) That I am aware of. Just bought a Uberti Henry so the Chapparal is a back up gun for now.

Swede Olsson

Offline sail32

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 08:33:17 PM »
Check it very carefully.
I had to send a  Chaparral 1873 revolver back to Marstar because of a step in the recoil shield that prevented the cylinder from rotating.
I upgrade to a Pietta, which has worked very well.
There is a write up on a  Chaparral 1873 rifle on GunNutz http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/forum.php

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 09:51:50 PM »
Check it very carefully.
I had to send a  Chaparral 1873 revolver back to Marstar because of a step in the recoil shield that prevented the cylinder from rotating.
I upgrade to a Pietta, which has worked very well.
There is a write up on a  Chaparral 1873 rifle on GunNutz http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/forum.php

You need a better link.  This one just takes you to a HUGE forum.  Where is the write located?

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 11:12:30 AM »
Yeah, I subscribe to GunNutz and couldn't find it. I recommend it anyone as a resource for gun values and the political content.
Most Canadian dealers will ship to the US, including for individuals. There is a fee, of course.

I do know this - "Rusty Wood" charges considerably more to 'tune' a Chapparal rifle than any other. That tells you something. But nothing will overcome the cheap looking wood. I've heard of Winchesters that had "box wood" stocks, but I don't think I'd care to own one.

I have decided to buy a Miroku/Winchester based on my experience with other Japanese lever action rifles. It will look good and work well out of the box. I'm not a fan of 'tuned' guns of any kind as it's generally a term for accelerated wear on critical parts if done by less than a true craftsman.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline sail32

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 11:03:42 AM »
The write up is here at;

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php/417863-Here-is-my-brand-new-Chaparral-73-in-357-Mag?highlight=Chaparral+Rifle

You gotta spell the name right when doing a search !

The pictures are missing, I have them on file, but there is a lot of them.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 01:32:02 PM »
Anyone 'sides me unable to open any of these pics?

Offline The Swede

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 07:02:05 PM »
I remember reading that post when it was first made. Lots of great pictures, and a great report. My '73 is chambered for .44-40, and had a lot of trouble cycling ammo when I first got it. Marstar sent me a new bolt, and it solved the problem. That being said the bolt (both of them) was missing the cartridge rim support on the bottom of the bolt. All primer hits are off centre as a result. It was like they decided not to include it when they made the parts. There is an opening for it below the chamber, and I will get a gunsmith to take care of this omission for me.
While the rifle is accurate, and the action is quite smooth I have had my doubts in regard to recommending this line to other shooters. Uberti's are just to well made. I have seen quite a difference between my Chapparal '73, and my Uberti Henry. Pettifogger is correct in saying that there are better rifles out there. If you don't mind doing some work, and spending some extra cash (providing parts are readily available) the Chapparal would be alright. Marstar has parts, but you would have to call first, and hope they have stock (?).

I like mine... but it took some work to get her where I wanted her, and she still needs work. She is a back up rifle right now. I will not be able to replace her for quite a while, as I need to buy guns for my misses, as she wants to get into Cowboy Action Shooting (whoopee!). I don't mind the wait considering.

Swede

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 08:08:11 PM »
Thanks, Swede!

I'm going to wait on either the new Winchester '73 or get a Uberti in 44-40. I'm tired f rebuilding/repairing 'new' guns right out of the box.
As for getting your wife involved, that's a two-edged sword. I get to do the reloading and cleaning for both of us, but I get the pleasure of her company.
Thank God she doesn't yet want to shoot BP in her guns!

Offline The Swede

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 10:31:22 PM »
Oh I'll do all the reloading, but that is good. It means I get to buy that Dillon Progressive press I've wanted...

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 09:12:14 AM »
I bought a Chaparral '66 in .357 from Marstar in 2010.  It works great, I used it at the Canadians two years in a row and, used it last Saturday at our monthly shoot.  I have used it more than my Marlin and Rossi.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline The Swede

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 12:36:51 PM »
Does the bolt on yours have the rim support tab?

Swede

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 10:15:57 PM »
Actually saw one of these critters in the flesh, so to speak, this last weekend.  First thought it was a 73, as it was case colored, but noted it had no dust cover.  Turns out the Chappie 66 is a steel frame version of the 1866.  Rifle seems to be working fine for the fellow that was using it.  REALLY wanted to take a screw driver to it to see what it was about internally!  ;D

Got me to wondering, since it is a 1866 with a steel frame, is it NCOWS legal?  Not a copy of anything that ever existed....
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 10:31:57 PM »
I remember seeing some advertisements for those steel-frame '66's and they were calling it a copy of the "rare transition '66"  ??? ;D

Offline cal44walker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 03:04:07 PM »
Reading a few comments about not being able to short stoke them here. My friend must have picked up an out of spec one then.......as I fitted a Pioneer Super SS kit with very little fitting. The mechanical firing pin withdrawal was replaced with a firing pin spring that also fit in the pin channel when cut to fit. I was pretty surprised it fit after having read in various places that it could'nt be done. Tight headspace was fixed by milling 0.05 off the bolt face. The problem with the bolt tab missing was also present on the batch of rifles that were recieved here. Weld, grind, fit.

cal44walker

Offline Thomas (Tom) Horn aka James Hicks

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS#86684 Wartrace Regulators
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2013, 04:19:29 PM »
I have never owned the Chaparrel '73, so I can't speak for it... But if'n it is like the '76 made by them, it is just as Pettifogger so states above. The rifles made by Chaparrel are cheaply made and as stated... if you need parts... you will be up a contaminated contributary.  People buy them thinking they are getting a good deal... old saying "You get what you pay for!"
Junk, they are out of business and there are no parts.  Stay away from them.
"If I killed that kid, it was the best shot I ever made, and the dirtiest trick I ever did."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com