Author Topic: Black powder and muzzleloaders have taken me astray  (Read 11046 times)

Offline Green River Powell aka RonC

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Black powder and muzzleloaders have taken me astray
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 08:52:11 PM »
I was able to do a remarkable magic trick. I turned a 5-string banjo into a flintlock!!
I was fortunate enough to win a very nice, professional grade banjo in a drawing, which made one of my banjos expendable. I sold that banjo and was able to buy the flintlocks.
That banjo money was through my hands faster than a particle beam in the CERN atomic accelerator Proton Synchrotron Booster. :o

Ron
Ron

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 08:56:54 PM »
Better than i did,i had a banjo once had it apart to tighten the head or somethin was gonna finish it when i got back home from a campin trip,in the mean time my duaghter and wife had a yard sale,banjo and case went for about 3.00 :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o >:( >:( :'(
Bunch a ole scudders!

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 09:39:05 PM »
If that happened to me and a $2500 banjo were sold for peanuts, there would be a mighty price to pay. >:( ;D
Ron
Ron

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 06:46:08 PM »

Offline Vernon/IN

• Top Active Citizen
  • Hirams Rangers #14
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 11:04:09 PM »
Rick,

A swamped barrel tapers from both ends.  From the muzzle, it tapers 10 to 12 inches where the size remains constant for several inches.   From the breech, it tapers to the end of the non tapered section.  The breech is larger than the muzzle.

The two primary benefits are reduce weght and enhanced balance.  I have a DGW Tennessee Mountain Rifle in .50 caliber.  It's one of the early ones, with the 7/8th inch barrel.  This rifle weighs about 8.5 lbs. and is muzzle heavy.  The barrel is 42 inches long.

My .50 caliber in the above photo weighs about 7.5 lbs. and balances a couple inches behind the ramrod entry pipe.  The barrel is 44 inches long and just over an inch at the breech and just under an inch at the muzzle.  I believe that Track of The Wolf lists the dimensions of the varoius weights of Colerain barrels in their catalog and on their web site.

And yes, the .36 makes a great squirrel rifle.  Its not too bad on ground hogs either.

Hirams Rangers #14
NCOWS # 527
The American Plainsman Society
AZSA #83L
NRA
NMLRA
WartHog
Soot Lord
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2013, 12:58:24 AM »
If that happened to me and a $2500 banjo were sold for peanuts, there would be a mighty price to pay. >:( ;D
Ron

There was,the nieghbor heard me hollerin at my wife and came over and got into the frey that started in the house and ended up in the back yard,now the nieghbor was my mother in law,both were following me around while i was shakin my head poundin on the tree and kickin the flower bed,i reached down to get a drink from the garden hose,wink,wink,needless to say two towels were in order after that ;D Fer some reason they was soakin wet and steamin at the same time....Got me a Matin Geetar now  :D :D :D Wife bought it for me.. ;)
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2013, 05:49:24 PM »
GCR, they were just afraid if you got it fixed, then you'd be playing it next!

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2013, 06:45:03 PM »
 :D :D :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imv_ajFkDbg[/youtube]
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Okefinokee Outlaw

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2013, 12:29:39 PM »
Good to see there are smoke pole afficianados here.  I'm currently building a Chambers Early Virginia flintlock kit in 58 cal.  My current shooter is a Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken in 54 cal percussion.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2013, 12:52:10 PM »
Off topic for CAS, but here is Rob Bishline playing the Bishline Cimarron banjo that I had won on Banjo Hangout. I can't yet play the tune like he does, but I am working on it.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSalySg6Rzg[/youtube]
Ron
Ron

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2013, 02:39:39 PM »
That was dang good!! Love me some banjer and geetar pickin,i sure wished i could pick like that.You shoulda painted a target on that banjer afer ya traded ,you'da had somethin ta shoot at ;D ;D
Bunch a ole scudders!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com