Author Topic: Remington Rollingblock .32 LC.  (Read 31397 times)

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Remington Rollingblock .32 LC.
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2014, 05:36:02 AM »
That's great to hear Dusty!  Looking forward to seeing the finished rifle and hearing how well it shoots. 
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 07:13:35 AM »
Still shapeing the stock's,started with big square block's. Lot's of wood to remove ,and Not Happy with the shape yet. A little at a time cant put it back,,,,,,,,Dusty

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2014, 12:42:44 PM »
Chambered the Rolling Block bench gun to .32 LC.Look's good ,completed the pollish work on the barrel & action . Now fitting the stock's and hardware, Brass Schuetzen style butplate and nosecap on forend.Will mount the 6X Malcolm style scope  with externall adjust mount's last. Should be able to get it on the bench for some Proof round's and test for accurate fire soon. If all goes well ,will take back down for metal finish.,,,,,,, Dusty

Curious, Where did you get the Chamber Reamer(s)?  And what are their dimensions?
Best Regards,
Chev. William
"Been there, But no 'Tee Shirt' survived.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 12:50:28 PM »

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2014, 07:47:49 AM »
Howdy Mr. Chev. The chamber reamer ,I cut myself . The .32 LC chamber is very simple to cut. How to make the reamer and it's dimensions, is another subject. The beauty of starting with this .32LC chamber is that the chamber can be expanded to other cartridges latter if so desired. ,,,,,,Dusty

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2014, 01:55:20 PM »
Did you use a 'straight cylinder' chamber design for your reamer?
Or did you use a 'Tapered Chamber' design?

How close to the 'Standard Cartridge Dimensions did you make your reamer?

I did find the CIP website where their Standard drawing for cartridge and Chamber is posted but I need to translate it into "English" measurements from the "Metric" of the original.
Interesting that the pressure limits are also listed on the same drawing as Pmax = 1000 bar; PK =1100 bar; and PE = 1300 bar.
Using conversion factor of 1 bar equals 14.5038 pounds per square inch:
1000 bar = 14503.8 psi,  or 14,504 psi (Piezo).
1100 bar = 15954.1+ psi.
1300 bar = 18854.9+ psi.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2014, 04:49:07 PM »
Dusty,
It's now December 2014 and we have not heard any Progress reports on your Project.

All is Well I hope.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2014, 03:11:41 AM »
Dusty,
It's now December 2014 and we have not heard any Progress reports on your Project.

All is Well I hope.

Best Regards,
Chev. William
I must admit Chev.  I may be one of those people that have to many projects. The Remington Rolling block project has been set aside for the time being. Not much to report ,since the last work I did on it. It is in the stock shaping stage and I am not happy with the way they are shaping up. Thanks for the follow up. If I ever get it presentable I will post a pic. of it. ,,,,,,,DT

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2014, 10:12:06 AM »
Very Old Advice:  "take Sculpting The Stock Very Slow, take little cuts off as if you take big ones and you go too Far, you have a Real PROJECT in putting the error Right.  It is EASY to Take it off but HARD to put it back on".

Best of Wishes for you and your Family this Christmas and New Year Season and for the Year to come.
Chev. William

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2014, 10:16:15 AM »
Thank You Chev. And Merry Christmas and Happy New Yr. to you and yours!,,,,,,,DT

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2015, 06:42:38 PM »
Coming up on Mother's Day and I am looking forward to Visiting with old Friends at a dinner on May 16th at "The 94th Aero Squadron A Restaurant" near me.  it sits adjacent to a General Aviation Airport and has a WW1 "French Farmhouse' Motif with WW1 Aviation memorabilia about.

My late Mother enjoyed several dinners there years ago.

On another note:  My own projects are progressing S-L-O-W-L-Y due to lack of 'Discretionary Spending Funds' for the last many months.I do have two Rifles almost together, now waiting for drill and tapping of the Forearm retainer Screw holes in the Barrel bottoms.  They are marked and 'center punched' but I need to buy the Taps and Tap Drill needed.

The other projects at my gunsmith have been on hold as his wife passed away this last April and he was out of the Shop for a few weeks taking care of that sad Task set.

Today it has been Cold Blustery and Sprinkling here (we do need the Rain).  

Best Regards,
Chev. William  

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2015, 12:21:53 PM »
Spring and Summer have come and gone, going out with a "Heat wave, then Rain" here in the San Fernando Valley.
Halloween is past, I let go of an incomplete Project my Father and I started Many Decades ago to a 'Good Home' for way less than was invested in it.  I will need to get the Velum drawings out for the machine work and make copies to send the New owner.
This was a Custom Three wheel vehicle with two wheels in front and Front Wheel drive from an Indian 'Chief' engine reworked to sit crosswise and feed a Volkswagen open half shaft Transmission driving MG1200 Front suspension, a Renault Dauphine Rack and Pinion steering box set up for Right hand Drive and fitted with an MG TF used Body.

The Purchaser got enough parts for about two and a half engines as part of the 'bargain' so he will have enough 'trading pieces' to get any needed Indian parts to complete the Trike project.

This also opens up a sheltered parking spot for my 1942 'jeep' close enough to my Garage to allow working upon it.

Progress is measured in small increments at my age.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2017, 12:16:04 PM »
Its been so long nearly forgot , for you Cev. William . Been so long cant remember the numbers. Cut the chamber with my home made reamer on the lathe , Here is where I left off on stock work , just work on it a bit at a time may never finish. Shoots very good Accurate and does not move. Can use , and do use .32 H&R Mag. load data . No sign of harm to brass and sure none to the RB action. Any How for what its worth , Thought you may want to see my progress. Thats me Slow But Sure! ,,DT

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2017, 01:23:05 PM »
Its been so long nearly forgot , for you Cev. William . Been so long cant remember the numbers. Cut the chamber with my home made reamer on the lathe , Here is where I left off on stock work , just work on it a bit at a time may never finish. Shoots very good Accurate and does not move. Can use , and do use .32 H&R Mag. load data . No sign of harm to brass and sure none to the RB action. Any How for what its worth , Thought you may want to see my progress. Thats me Slow But Sure! ,,DT

DT,
That is Coming along very well indeed.
As to the speed, my own "Projects" are also proceeding at a 'Snail's Pace" mostly due to my restricted Finances in retirement.
I have not had any "Work Calls' from My Union Dispatcher in several Months now.  The "Cost of Living" raise in My Social security, Military, and VA disability retirement payments was 0.3 Percent this year in spite of Taxes Increasing at over  2 percent and the "CoL' raises to Current Government Employees being 2.7 percent.

I now have a pair of Ruger Revolvers added to my  projects: one is a Single Six in .22 Cal that has been converted to a Long Barrel .25ACP Single Eight.  the other one is a Single Six in .32 H&R Magnum that I am investigating making into a 'convertible' between Colt and S&W family .32 Cal Cartridges.  

My rifle projects are Going Slow at my Gunsmith as he is 'buried' in more Work than the shop can handle for the Last Year.
Mine are of the "Back burner - low Budget" type ot keep my costs down.

A Home "putter Project" has been started in Converting a 1890 Winchester Pump to .25ACP and a Carbine Length (20 inch long) Barrel.
   I have a 'Bubba Cut' 1890 Barrel out to "John Taylor Machining" to be Fitted with a .25ACP "TJ" 1;14 twist Liner.
   I have already reworked the Front housing and Bolt to move the Firing Pin tip from "RF" to "CF" by re-drilling the bolt breech face and grinding off the original tip and drilling for a 5/64" (.078") Dowel Pin for a new firing pin tip.  The original Tip
 hole was filled with a steel rivet and filed Smooth after setting it.
   I have a New made replacement '.22WRF Tube Magazine that will take the .25ACP cartridges in the spring inner tube and have opened the Loading Port width to allow Inserting .25ACP cartridge through the side of the Outer sleeve tube.
   A Used "S-L-LR" Cartridge Lifter is to be reamed in bore enough to accept the .25ACP cartridge rim, keeping the Cartridge Length "Toggle' in the process so there should be little or no feeding problems.
   I have Stocks and other parts in my home 'parts stock' from supporting my two Win 1890s in .22WRF, one of which also is a WRF/WMR interchangeable Conversion.

The Best way to survive 'retirement ' is to keep busy.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2017, 01:37:10 PM »
Some very interesting projects. The revolvers sound really nice. And the 1890 to 25ACP  very cool. Like you no hurry to finish the enjoyment for me is the working on them when I want to ! It's not a  job, but you are right a man needs a project to keep him going. Good to hear from you. ,,,DT

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2017, 11:21:53 AM »
Spent a couple of hrs. testing the .32 LC Rolling block bench gun.  The 90 gr. heel bullet , wax/tallow lube, # 500 CCI , and  4.5 gr. Unique , in a WW case .915 oal. Off the bags @ 50 yd. gives one ragged hole 10 shot group. Cleaned the bore after every ten shots. Now to work on stock/metal finish work,,,,DT

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2017, 04:57:51 PM »
Dusty
Love that Rolling block and Scope .  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2017, 06:05:39 PM »
Dusty, I've had 2 repro Rolling Blocks in .45-70 over the years but now only have this little beauty, a Martini Cadet rebored to .357 mag. It's a really nice single shot. Not a good looking American classic like yours though. Pretty work sir. You can see where I walked the poi into one hole but my target was only at 40 yds. But I'm curious about the bison herd. We did a cross country trip from NC to Cody 12 years ago and got to see Yellowstone and it's bison up close. They don't seem to be animals that would be easily moved if they didn't want to move.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2017, 06:48:42 PM »
It is a fun little plinker Rowdy !  What a nice Martini Ed , and a shooter also! The Buffalo deal kinda fell through , you are right  they prety much will or will not do whatever they want.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2017, 12:01:49 PM »
Made a new hammer spring and trigger spring for the .32 Long Colt / Rolling Block  big difference for the better ! The original springs are very overdone in the strength dept. It was hard to shoot the rifle well with that much of a trigger pull . The last bench session with the .32 LC  I was testing the #2400 powder and found that a charge of 6.2 gr. under the 90 gr. Ideal heeled bullet and  small pistol primer CCI brand , lube was Tallow/ wax .  I use a WW case and reload the same case after every shot at the bench. This load is a cracker ! and at 50. yd it will shoot into a little ragged hole / even with the heavy trigger pull. It should be easier to get that kind of groups with the lighter trigger pull. Did a bit more stock shaping , scraping a couple of oz. of wood away here and there . Still more to go. Metal still in the white . That's my update on my lifelong Rolling Block project . ,,,,DT 

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2017, 12:40:47 PM »
Dusty,
Lovely firearm even now.
I wonder what your loads Chronograph at?
Best Regards,
Chev. William

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com