Author Topic: Remington Rollingblock .32 LC.  (Read 31559 times)

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Remington Rollingblock .32 LC.
« on: August 23, 2013, 06:53:52 AM »
This Remington Rollingblock project ,has been on the bench forever.The build started as a heavy barrel Semi Schuetzen  bench rifle, for my informal target practice.I have rebarreled it to .309 @ 1 turn in 12" twist 25" long. Was originally going to chamber for 30wcf. Am thinking on chambering to the .32 LC, first to test the accuracy of this little cartridge with the 1 in 12" twist. If I am dissapointed with the accuracy , I can rechamber to 30wcf, as was my original choice . Any input on this project will be greatly appreciated ,,,,,,Dusty PS. the action is a #5 Smokless converted to pistol grip.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Remington Rollingblock .32 LC.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 12:00:16 PM »
That's a big hunk of barrel there Dusty :o  Should make a rock steady bench rifle. 
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 12:34:22 PM »
ndnchf" it is a Heavy Barrel,I will turn it down some but not much beyond a clean-up pass. Then a polish. Figgure by the time I get all that brass hardware and long 6x scope and mount's hung on it. That rifle should not move very much on the bench . The .32 LC is so mild'I think I will be able to watch the bullet hit the target! Should be a fun gun to set on the sand bag's on the gallery back at the ranch. And dare them Coon's to come drink out of the horse trough.It dont take much to keep me ammused, Life is Good,,,,,Dusty

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:33:37 PM »

Offline Adirondacker

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 03:48:17 PM »
Would have to be almost the ultimate test-platform for .32 Long, IF you can find a chambering reamer.  I said "almost" because I once knew about a .32 Long RF Stevens 44 with #3 brl & DST that was for sale.  Thought seriously about buying it to rechamber, but price was steep, & I didn't want to get involved in another long drawn out gunsmithing project that might wind up being bothched as  others have. 

I've got a piece almost as extreme--a high-wall in .32-20 with 30" #3 brl., SST, PG.  Bought it for little more than half what the same gun in .32-40, or larger, would have brought.  Excellent bore, & I LOVE shooting it!  Sure wish it was a .30, however, because bullet selection in that caliber is so much greater.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 02:53:26 AM »
Since I cannot determine from your photo, just exactly what model RB action are you using as a base? I hope it's not an old BP action.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 05:15:27 AM »
This Remington Rollingblock project ,has been on the bench forever.The build started as a heavy barrel Semi Schuetzen  bench rifle, for my informal target practice.I have rebarreled it to .309 @ 1 turn in 12" twist 25" long. Was originally going to chamber for 30wcf. Am thinking on chambering to the .32 LC, first to test the accuracy of this little cartridge with the 1 in 12" twist. If I am dissapointed with the accuracy , I can rechamber to 30wcf, as was my original choice . Any input on this project will be greatly appreciated ,,,,,,Dusty PS. the action is a #5 Smokless converted to pistol grip.
Fox Creek Kid. I had a PS. on this,The action is a #5 Smokless,,,,Plenty strong for  the two chambering's listed above . Thank's for your concern,,,,,,,,Dusty

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 12:23:05 AM »
Dusty,
Are you going to keep the .32 Long Colt at the old BP speeds or slowly work up to see what is the most accurate load is for the cartridge in your rifle?  Since this is a Strong Action and a new, hopefully Alloy Steel, barrel, it should handle the current SAMMI/CIP pressure limits of just over 14,000PSI.

Previous calculations I tried with a 21.75 inch barrel length in QuickLOAD software indicated that pressures of near 14,000PSI would give about 1400fps with some powders. and that a BP match speed of 1080fps could be had at around 10,000psi with 'pistol' range powders.  The 'Rifle' range powders suitable for small volume cases seem to give somewhat higher velocity if loaded to near the maximum pressures but the powder burn percentage was usually less than 100% for most choices.

As and addition to the knowledge base, by experiment I found it is possible to 'crimp a .32 Long Colt case in a .30 Carbine Collette Crimp Die using a spacer pin to position the case.  It took my trial case from .3165" down to .308" to .310" at the deepest point of the crimp zone, easily more than we need to hold heeled bullets in these cases.

By the way, what does your new barrel 'slug' for measurements?

Best Regards,
Chev. William
"Been there, But no 'Tee Shirt' survived.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 09:26:39 AM »
Hey Chev. sorry took so long for the reply . Been out of pocket for a spell. When the  Rolling Block .32 lc is bench ready I will prob. try BP. and Smokless load's in it. Good thing about the #5 action I should be able to load up or down with no problem's. Not wanting to make a .32 HP. But am after accuracy. The bore on this barrel slug's just under .310". And is at it's tightest spot at muzzel end. I have a reammer ground ,and will chamber this one long to handel the .920" case with outside lubed heel bullet .first the 299153 . I have a 3/4" x 28" 6-power scope for this bench gun. Should be a Hoot to shoot. If I could spend some time in the shop I could get somthing done. Have been out on the range as of late. Busy Busy before hunting season. Will keep you posted on progress,,,,,,,,,,Dusty

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 01:40:21 AM »
I was able to get some Lathe time in my Friend Shop and cut two used barrel "Tenons" to fit a !915 Stevens Favorite Action (socket diameter .665").

One was a Ebay purchased 1885 Winchester Tapered Octagon barrel in .32 Short.  The Bore/Groove diameters are .302"/.307" and rifling is present full length. Though 'loose' toward the muzzle end.  I cut the Tneon about 1.550" long (oversize) to allow for later head space adjustments and chamber cutting.  I intend it to be a long .32 Long Colt chamber to allow use of converted .32 S&W Long Cases and "299153" Bullets in a CF converted action.

I also have a Shelin .308" Match Grade Stainless Steel Barrel Blank in 1:8 twist rate that I can cut to fit the Stevens action for a True "Bull Bench Rest" barrel at 26-1/8 long by 1-1/4 diameter it weighs about 8 lbs, compared to the action with butt stock at about 1-1/2 lbs.  This was a "Christmas Santa Present" as I was the only person to bid and I won it on Dec. 25th for $180.00 including shipping.

The other barrel I cut today is a "Bastardized" Stevens Model 44, also an Ebay purchase, That a previous owner started to cut a new Model 44 Tenon on and cut it so the final "S" in the J. Stevens manufacturers marking was removed.  This one slugs as a .257" groove diameter so I will need to use a Heeled bullet in .25 Stevens CF conversion cases to shoot it.  Norma .251" Stevens or .25ACP Bullets would 'rattle down the bore' in this one.  IF I cannot find the correct heeled bullet diameters it may need to be relined to get shoot-able bore/groove dimensions.

I also was able to purchase 100 pieces of R-P .32 Long Colt Empty Brass off an Auction on Gun Broker so I have some actual .32 Long Colt brass to complement my reformed Starline Brass.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 04:01:42 PM »
Dusty,
Check out the Post I put up on the ".32 Long Colt, Need Help" thread (title from memory so may be wrong) on this Forum.
I summarized what various people have learned to date on the.32 Small Body Diameter family of cartridges.
Best Regards,
Chev. William

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 04:40:28 PM »
Thanks Chev. William,I read that good info. Take a look at the Spring issue of Black Powder cartridge news. There is a good article on the .25 stevens and the 1915 . Look forward to your shooting result's on your project's . Ranch duties have kept me from my Rolling Block project. Soon as Spring Turkey season is wrapped up I will get in the shop and complete some of my projects. ,,,,,Dusty

JohnsonBarr

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 05:13:41 PM »
I've been working on a Pedersoli RB that I rechambered for the .357 Maximuim cartridge trying to duplicate the old BP .38 Extra Long cartridge. Limited to the actual bore diameter but, using the OAL of the .38XL, just a few thousands shorter than the .357 Max cartridge. I'm still trying to find a cast .358 bullet that will stabilize and group worth a damn with BP. Using 125gr. JHP with smokeless powder does very well but, dinking around with BP and cast bullets just ain't getting it. Any ideas Gents?

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 05:23:57 PM »
Howdy JohnsonBarr, what is the rot of that rb.? Sound's like a interesting project. Amigo,,,,,Dusty

JohnsonBarr

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 06:55:57 AM »
That I do not know. I'm sure it's pretty quick. Originally chambered .357 Rem. Mag it could do 1 1/2" groups at 100yds with 125gr JHP and a high end load of H110. I'll research the ROT and get back to you.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 07:34:50 AM »
Dusty - sorry to hear your RB project is on hold.  Been looking forward to seeing what you can wring out of the .32LC.  But I understand how life gets in the way of fun.  Keep us posted, inquiring minds want to know  ;D
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

JohnsonBarr

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 12:16:05 PM »
Hey Dusty, I found at the Pedersoli site that ROT is 1-18. Slower than I thought but, there it is. The original specs for the .38 extra long CF call for 38 grains BP covered by 160gr bullet. Of course the bullet would have been heeled and a true .38 cal. But I have to work with the .357 bore and inside lubed bullets. The .357 Max case will except 38 grs. of 3Fg with just the right amount of powder 'crunch' when seating the bullet. I started with a 160gr. bullet that had horrible down range results. Question is whether to go heavier or lighter in bullet weight with the 1-18 twist.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2014, 01:30:23 PM »
JohnsonBarr,what design 160gr. lead bullet did you use in the load that did not do well. What lube was you using?I have not worked with this particular cartridge,but if I was satisfied that the lube was up to the task and there was enough of it for the barrel lenth. And it did not shoot well. I think I would try a card wad,or two under the bullet and see if the bullet started to group. If it did not I would then move on to another bullet design. Even though I would rather the heavy for caliber bullet at the 100yd. shooting you spoke of I would guess that you may need a lighter and shorter bullet, with the 1-18 ROT. But I would not give up on the 160 range bullet to soon. With good lube, a card wad or two ,you may get it to shoot great . What Bp. are you using? ,,,,,,,Dusty

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2014, 07:42:53 PM »
Will get it done one day ndnchf. Been up to my armpit's in the new place I pickedup. Shaping the place up and working on getting a Bison herd started on another place. Thing's should slow down in a couple of month's . Good Ta hear from Ya Pard,,,,,,,,Dusty

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2014, 06:10:42 AM »
Hey Dusty - a bison herd - very cool! You need more hours in your day.  I've been having fun with the .32 Extra Long rimfire project. But the snow and cold has slowed down range testing. I've got a variety of loads and bullets made up. I'm anxious to get out and try them. I'm making a second set of reloadable cases, with improvements over my first batch. Overall they are working very well.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2014, 12:01:30 PM »
Chambered the Rolling Block bench gun to .32 LC.Look's good ,completed the pollish work on the barrel & action . Now fitting the stock's and hardware, Brass Schuetzen style butplate and nosecap on forend.Will mount the 6X Malcolm style scope  with externall adjust mount's last. Should be able to get it on the bench for some Proof round's and test for accurate fire soon. If all goes well ,will take back down for metal finish.,,,,,,, Dusty

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com